PDA

View Full Version : milk does the body good????

NO2
05-22-2003, 06:26 PM
t herd that ppl dont drink milk and still are health ppl..

my question is

is it ok to drink milk while cutting???

i drink 1 to 1 1/2 litres of 2% a day..is that ok???

Ironman8
05-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Personally, I would avoid milk when cutting, due to the sugar.

NO2
05-22-2003, 06:40 PM
suger???
in milk???

hmmmmmm

oh..maybe my avatar explains that :O

bryancore
05-22-2003, 06:42 PM
Yeah, depending on what % fat is in the milk, there is alot of sugar for a serving of milk. (More % fat, more sugar.)

NO2
05-22-2003, 06:45 PM
hmmmmm

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by bryancore
Yeah, depending on what % fat is in the milk, there is alot of sugar for a serving of milk. (More % fat, more sugar.)

actually there is the same amount of sugar. it doesnt matter what type of milk. whole milk has the same amount of lactose (milk sugar) as skim does.

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 07:00 PM
milk, like anything, is fine in moderation. but if you are going to drink milk while on a cut, i'd at least try to switch to skim milk.

Ironman8
05-22-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
whole milk has the same amount of lactose (milk sugar) as skim does.

But I think whole milk has a lower GI than skim milk.

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8

But I think whole milk has a lower GI than skim milk.

posted in a recent thread: Whole milk has a GI of about 40 and skim milk has a GI of 32 according to this site http://www.calvin.biochem.usyd.edu....-skip=20&-find=

Both of these would be considered low on the GI. The reason that milk gets a bad rap is due to it's high insulin index which measures the insulin response to a food. The GI measures the changes in blood sugar caused by a certain food.

powerhalf
05-22-2003, 07:07 PM
I got some skim milk today to try it out, and while it didn't taste as good as my normal 2%, it was still pretty good. The amount of sugar is the same in 2% as in skim (I checked the labels on the containers) In fact, I was about to make a thread on this- I'm cutting (as always...) and I'm wondering if the sugar in skim milk is something I need to be concerned with.

Ironman8
05-22-2003, 07:09 PM
I buy soy milk. Good way to get soy protein in.

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by powerhalf
I got some skim milk today to try it out, and while it didn't taste as good as my normal 2%, it was still pretty good. The amount of sugar is the same in 2% as in skim (I checked the labels on the containers) In fact, I was about to make a thread on this- I'm cutting (as always...) and I'm wondering if the sugar in skim milk is something I need to be concerned with.

IMO, if you eat fruit, and/or bread, you might as well drink milk too. yes milk contains sugar, is it going to make you fat all on its own? - no

just keep the milk in moderation IMO and it is fine.

heck i know some people that freaking drink 4 cans of pop a day, and they have a killer six pack of abs. so im sure a little milk wont kill you.

Ironman8
05-22-2003, 07:13 PM
heck i know some people that freaking drink 4 cans of pop a day, and they have a killer six pack of abs.

Are they ectomorphs :)

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 07:33 PM

Are they ectomorphs :)

no actually they are some of the strongest people at my school. who are very well built, and play linebacker and full back for our shcool Football team.

Manveet
05-22-2003, 10:26 PM
Cals in vs Cals out is more important when cutting than harmful effects of sugar in milk. When I was at my leanest I was eating a crap load of fruit everyday, but I still stayed lean as hell since my overall caloric total was very low.

Y2A
05-23-2003, 07:20 AM

no actually they are some of the strongest people at my school. who are very well built, and play linebacker and full back for our shcool Football team.

Damn Mesomorphs can do anything they want :mad:

I too drink soy milk, I think I became lactose intolerent somehow :confused:

bradley
05-23-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Y2A

I too drink soy milk, I think I became lactose intolerent somehow :confused:

Some people argue that it is natural for humans to quit producing the enzyme lactase which is needed to digest lactose. Humans are the only mammals that continue to consume milk after being weened off of their mother's milk.

Some would argue that most people are lactose intolerant to some degree and some more than others. The occasional glass of milk at a meal does not cause me any digestive problems but if I was to consume a large amount (32oz. or so) over the course of the day, then yes I would have problems later on in the day:(

Like I said not all people experience this but in general most people will. If you wanted to continue drinking milk then you can purchase a product like Lactaid which will help with digestion.

Ironman8
05-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Y2A

Damn Mesomorphs can do anything they want :mad:

Sorry for the dumb question, but what's a mesomorph :)?

bradley
05-23-2003, 04:23 PM

Sorry for the dumb question, but what's a mesomorph :)?

There are three different body types which are referred to as somatotypes.

ectomorph- Sometimes referred to as a hard gainer. Usually thin with a fast metabolism.

mesomorph- Puts on muscle fairly easily and is naturally well built.

endomorph- Puts on weight easily but also stores weight as bf easily.

This is just a general description and there is much more to it than what I posted, but you get the idea.

Edit: It is possible to have characteristics from different body types.

bradley
05-23-2003, 04:33 PM
This might help clarify what I tried to say above:)

Somatotype is the main focus of this writing, and it refers to a personís body type. Somatotypes include endomorphic, mesomorphic, and ectomorphic types. While no physique can be classified as belonging to one type exclusive of all others, a predominance typically prevails lending to the following general descriptions.

Endomorphic type characteristics include a thick bone structure, wide hips and shoulders, and a short, thick neck. Weight is predominantly distributed toward the center of the body through a thick torso, relatively short arms, and short, heavy legs. With thick bones and slow metabolism, endomorphs rapidly gain muscle and strength. However, they also gain fat easily and tend to appear short. Members of this group typically fill the ranks of champion power lifters and wrestlers.

Mesomorphic types are medium boned with shoulders wider then hips, small knees and ankles, large chest, slender waist and hips, strong neck, massive arms and legs, proportionate bone structure and low percentage of body fat. This group has the ability to gain both muscle mass and strength at a fast rate and easily become muscularly defined with little effort needed for weight management. Individuals displaying these characteristics are who youíll find competing at the highest levels of bodybuilding competition.

Ectomorphic types are long and slender. They appear thin and have a light bone structure, narrow rib cage, shoulders, and hips. Small wrists and ankles are common, and muscles tend to be long, slender and resistant to development. Muscles are also susceptible to injury. Ectomorphs find it difficult to gain muscle and strength due to a typically high metabolism. Youíll find this group competing in high intensity endurance sports like running and biking.

If youíre classifying yourself using the descriptions above, and find that your aspirations are in a different class Ė donít despair. Clearly you canít alter your genetic makeup as it was determined by nothing more than ancestry and pot luck. However, you can target certain areas with training and nutrition to help you overcome the barriers across somatoypes. In fact, some of the greatest athletes have done this. Frank Zane for example is known worldwide as one of the greatest bodybuilders of all time. Frank was what most would classify as an Ectomorph. Genetically he may have been more suited as a runner, but determination and hard work earned him the title of Mr. Olympia title over Arnold Schwarzenegger who has arguably the best mesomorphic genetics of anyone in the history of bodybuilding. On the other hand, if youíre a mesomorph wanting to compete in a triathalon, thatís a lot of extra weight to carry.

The above was taken from the following article found here:
http://www.muscledawg.com/mtalk/mtalk_bark_genetics2.asp
Written by Mike Eaton.

Beast
05-25-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by bradley
Some people argue that it is natural for humans to quit producing the enzyme lactase which is needed to digest lactose. Humans are the only mammals that continue to consume milk after being weened off of their mother's milk.

Some would argue that most people are lactose intolerant to some degree and some more than others. The occasional glass of milk at a meal does not cause me any digestive problems but if I was to consume a large amount (32oz. or so) over the course of the day, then yes I would have problems later on in the day:(

Like I said not all people experience this but in general most people will. If you wanted to continue drinking milk then you can purchase a product like Lactaid which will help with digestion.
You should read Franco Colombo's book, "Bodybuilder's Nutrition." He talks about what you mentioned and also that he was never able to achieve the really cut look without leaving out milk from his diet. Same with Arny.

Behemoth
05-25-2003, 06:38 PM
NDbeast. In Franco's book when he says you can't become very lean without leaving milk out. I'm assuming he means when you begin to get lean in the last few phases of pre-comp preparation to leave it out? Or does he mean to leave it all during the entire cutting phase?

BTW, Franco and Arnie are my 2 alltime favorites:thumbup:

Ironman8
05-25-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by NDBeast

You should read Franco Colombo's book, "Bodybuilder's Nutrition."

Is that a new book?

bradley
05-26-2003, 04:24 AM

Is that a new book?

Published in 1985.

The_Brick
05-26-2003, 05:46 AM
Why are you cutting if you want to reach 280lbs?

STM
05-26-2003, 07:56 AM
Just a link regarding soy products.

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/

Ironman8
05-26-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by The_Brick
Why are you cutting if you want to reach 280lbs?

Heh, I just noticed that. Maybe his weight is 280Ibs. and he's trying to reach 237 ;)