PDA

View Full Version : If you want to be ripped do HIIT !!!

DylanWaneIV
05-22-2003, 09:18 PM
It took me awhile to talk myself into doing sprints at my local track but after last week which was hell, every other week seems to be getting easier and easier and the results are coming on strong. Quit wasting your time with morning cardio on empty stomach and long grueling jogs. All you need is a couple times a week doing HIIT for about 15 minutes and you're set. Everyone wants a magic remedy and I believe that this is it, the first week is the hard part, after that the results are shown. Muscles are fuller because I'm no longer busting my ass in the morning on an empty stomach for 30 minutes and you can begin seeing results in a week, muscles you never thought you had will be sore and it's a great feeling!!! I just wanted to say thanks to all the guys on here that have preached this over and over again, you were right, this is the only way to do cardio. Thanks again. :D

cedboski
05-22-2003, 09:51 PM
Can you like me to this routine? Thx

geoffgarcia
05-22-2003, 11:22 PM
could you give a brief explanation of what HIIT workout is?

I'm curious what it has to do with being on a track, I was a sprinter in college and never heard of such a workout

ask
05-23-2003, 01:42 AM
Geoff, there's a sticky up there!

Tru
05-23-2003, 06:18 AM
What's a site with info about HIIT? The one I read said that doing it in the AM would be best.

Ironman8
05-23-2003, 07:18 AM
Doing cardio in the AM is believed to be too catabolic.

KingJustin
05-23-2003, 07:24 AM
http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

That site suggests morning HIIT, and, based on the other few articles they posted, they're a pretty good source...

I think that their reasoning was that doing morning HIIT allows you to start burning fat immediately, as you haven't much in you to burn for fuel. After the routine, I think it suggested you wait a couple of hours and then eat, as HIIT causes your body to keep on burning fat if you don't have another source of fuel.

GhettoSmurf
05-23-2003, 08:29 AM
there is also a sticky on another site that talks about morning HIIT. i believe they suggest if you are going to do morning HIIT that you try to have some high-GI carbs and protein before engauging in the HIIT, and NOT to do it on empty.

geoffgarcia
05-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by ask
Geoff, there's a sticky up there!

I read the sticky, its like 50 something posts long, after reading the first 2 pages nobody had given any clue what its all about.

I just read the post above by Bizatch.
It helped to explain the mechanics of WHY its a good exercise and also explained how the weekly "stepups" in the program work.

But it didn't say WHAT to do during the workouts *LOL* unless I COMPLETELY missed it.

For example, week1 day 1, you have to workout for 4 minutes according to this table
http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit_table.asp

But what do you do for those 4 minutes?!?!?!?!?!?!

I understand sprinting is somwhere in there? and breaks I'm guessing also?

My guess is 30 seconds sprinting and ? 15/30/60 seconds rest???

Fenbay
05-23-2003, 11:24 AM
Jog/Sprint ...walk at first if you are cardio' out of shape.

Basically you have intervals of recovery after maxxing out your heart rate while using max intensity. Rinse repeat.

This could be accomplished on a cycle/stairclimber etc as well, but I think sprinting/jogging is probably the easiest and most accessible way to perform this exercise.

geoffgarcia
05-23-2003, 12:00 PM
I was a sprinter 100/200/400 in college, and this concept of HIIT was just a plain old workout that I did day in and day out, roughly 5 days a week, 8 months a year for about 8 years of my life

Depending on the day we would do workouts of ten 100m sprints, in around 12-13 seconds w/ 30-60 second breaks
workouts of six to ten 200m sprints, in about 24-26 seconds w/ 60 second breaks
workouts of four to eight 400m sprints, in about 54-60 seconds w/ 60-90 second breaks

so I feel I have a decent idea of what this will/won't do for a person. (based on my experiences and watching teammates)

I think a lot of people are overhyping this style of workout.

Thats just my humble opinion.

PS, anyone that thinks you can do this style workout on a machine is smoking some crack (or ur just very very very slow)

DylanWaneIV
05-23-2003, 12:45 PM
Definately not overhyping this type of workout just simply stating it is a quicker way to get your cardio done than by slow-go cardio for alot longer. And I feel the results are 10 times better although it is a little rougher on the body. Everyone is always looking for some magical thing to do with little effort to lose fat and there is no such thing, but I can guarantee with a sound diet and HIIT training you will be alot leaner. I don't diet at all, basically eat what I want when I want it and I feel HIIT lets me get away with it. Just 3 times a week, also starting to rip up and muscles are growing since I'm not antagonizing them with long grueling runs. This is just my humble opinion also.

Mik
05-23-2003, 01:44 PM
:offtopic:

Dylan, love the sig. Neil is teh god!

DylanWaneIV
05-23-2003, 02:44 PM
****YEA HE IS !!! :bow:

Tru
05-23-2003, 03:00 PM
So week 1 for HIIT, you just sprint/job for 4 minutes with intervals of 30 seconds? Then each workout, it keeps getting longer.

After the 8th week, do you just start back over at week 1 with only 4 minutes?

Tru
05-23-2003, 03:01 PM
jog not job

DylanWaneIV
05-23-2003, 03:09 PM
I keep it simple, i do a warmup lap by walking all the way around the track and then I sprint the straights as hard as I can and walk the curves. I'm up to 8 now, just going to add a sprint or 2 every time I go. If it's your first week, it's going to be rough, my whole body ached for 7 days then the next week I could tell I was getting used to it. Your legs, arms, back, lower back, abs, and the muscles in between your ribs will be sore like a mother, but it will make you tighter and it is worth it, trust me. ;)

Ironman8
05-23-2003, 03:41 PM
Ahh, the wonders of HIIT :D

Beast
05-23-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
I read the sticky, its like 50 something posts long, after reading the first 2 pages nobody had given any clue what its all about.

Yeah, that's the same with most stickies here... People go in circles because everyone posts their different opinions.

SoulOfKoRea
05-23-2003, 06:33 PM
for me, HIIT kicked my ass for 15 whole minutes, whereas 30 minutes of cardio at thr wouldn't phase me

mazmanr
05-23-2003, 07:52 PM
oh man....i just did HIIT today for the first time (4 minutes) ... it was one of the best cardio exercises i've EVER DONE! can't wait for that 6-pack to start showing up ;)

Ironman8
05-23-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
for me, HIIT kicked my ass for 15 whole minutes, whereas 30 minutes of cardio at thr wouldn't phase me

Heh, same here. I HATE sprinting. But, gotta burn that fat.

geoffgarcia
05-23-2003, 09:14 PM
no question about it, if you haven't sprinted in a long time its gonna kick your ass for the first month....thats just the way it is, and yeah it'll have your heart pounding outta your chest till you puke

but hell if you haven't lifted in a few months and start lifting you'll get the same feelings.

Dont confuse the "newness" of these feelings of being outta sprinting shape with "progress" its kinda like associating DOMS with gym gains.

After 2-4 weeks of this your body will be in sprinting condition and it wont phase you as much.

I hate being a naysayer...but... I've been doing these kindsa workouts a helluva lot longer than all of you so I think I have a better grasp on the subject...and personally if I was looking to lose bodyfat this is not what I'd be doing.

I'd be doing the 45-70 minute long distance cardio routines 3-4 times a week, and occassionly doing longer splits of mile repeats, 4 sets of 1 mile as fast as you can followed by 5 minutes rest.

Again, just another stinking opinion, not looking to flame anyone

KingJustin
05-24-2003, 07:24 AM
no question about it, if you haven't sprinted in a long time its gonna kick your ass for the first month....thats just the way it is, and yeah it'll have your heart pounding outta your chest till you puke

but hell if you haven't lifted in a few months and start lifting you'll get the same feelings.

Dont confuse the "newness" of these feelings of being outta sprinting shape with "progress" its kinda like associating DOMS with gym gains.

After 2-4 weeks of this your body will be in sprinting condition and it wont phase you as much.

Agreed. Your lung capacity is probably pretty low and your muscles probably aren't in great shape for sprinting if it's really phasing you.

Of course, as you get to be a "stronger" at sprinting and recovery, you can still increase the sprint times and decrease the jog/walk times to still exhaust yourself...but once you get into good shape your muscles don't ache after sprinting.

I hate being a naysayer...but... I've been doing these kindsa workouts a helluva lot longer than all of you so I think I have a better grasp on the subject...and personally if I was looking to lose bodyfat this is not what I'd be doing.

I'd be doing the 45-70 minute long distance cardio routines 3-4 times a week, and occassionly doing longer splits of mile repeats, 4 sets of 1 mile as fast as you can followed by 5 minutes rest.

Again, just another stinking opinion, not looking to flame anyone

I don't know if I agree with this. I run Cross Country & Indoor Track (nothing serious, but I still did a lot of miles and just about every kind of speed/distance workout you can think of) and I don't think that running mile repeats will have the same effect. The purpose of HIIT is to target body fat rather than muscle. Longer cardio sessions & max effort sessions don't do nearly as good a job...last year when we ran long miles during the summer, I could tell I was losing some muscle....when we started doing sprint workouts I could tell my body fat was dropping pretty fast and I became a good bit more cut.

I think HIIT is definately an effective way to lose BF with minimal muscle loss, and it gives a way to increase lung capacity and speed instead of just endurance (heart efficiency, I believe), but it may be a little bit overhyped....It probably doesn't burn, overall, nearly as many calories as an hour long cardio session.

Ironman8
05-24-2003, 07:29 AM
Also, I believe HIIT raises your metabolism more throughout the day than endurance running.

geoffgarcia
05-24-2003, 10:11 AM
Good points.
I'm sure it will raise your metabolism, as such limiting fructose intake would be helpful for some.

Ironman8
05-24-2003, 10:43 AM
as such limiting fructose intake would be helpful for some.

IMO, just limit anything that will spike your insuline :). When that happens, your metabolism switches to burning fat to burning carbs.

geoffgarcia
05-24-2003, 10:45 AM
fructose is actually just really really hard for your body to break down and metabolize and it stays in your system and bogs down your metabolism. Thats why it makes such a great transport for creatine, cuz it can bond with it and keeps it in your system for a super long time.

For older people with REALLY slow metabolisms fructose is good, because it keeps it going, for people with fast metabolisms its bad because it slows it down.

Ironman8
05-24-2003, 11:03 AM
Awesome. Thanks for the info!

restless
05-24-2003, 11:22 AM
fructose is actually just really really hard for your body to break down and metabolize and it stays in your system and bogs down your metabolism. Thats why it makes such a great transport for creatine, cuz it can bond with it and keeps it in your system for a super long time.

For older people with REALLY slow metabolisms fructose is good, because it keeps it going, for people with fast metabolisms its bad because it slows it down.

Care to explain? I must say I seriously doubt the accuracy of these statements.

geoffgarcia
05-24-2003, 12:18 PM
restless, wish I could go into more detail, its just what I remember from my readings

galileo
05-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Oh man.

Holto
05-24-2003, 01:55 PM
geoffgarcia:

folks in the know consider fructose the worst kind of sugar to take with creatine due to it's low GI rating

restless
05-24-2003, 02:24 PM
Fructose in fruit usually has a low GI mainly because fruit doesn't have huge anounts of it and the fiber delays digestion.

Fructose syrup on the other hand has very high GI but unfortunately can't be used by muscles, only by your liver.

About the creatine transport thing, I'm not really sure but you're probably better of with any other carbs.

Holto
05-24-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by restless
Fructose syrup on the other hand has very high GI

I'm pretty sure fructose in powder is 30 which is VERY low

what is the GI of the Syrup?

I'm wondering about High Fructose Corn Syrup now...

restless
05-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Holto

I'm wondering about High Fructose Corn Syrup now...

That's what I meant. It has a GI of about 63 in the glucose scale and 90 in the white bread one.

Holto
05-24-2003, 05:37 PM
cool

either way it's not like we could chug a glass of it post w/o

but I see a lot of the Protein bars that I like have it

Interactive just dropped a whole line that uses it and they are damn tasty and cheap

Beast
05-25-2003, 09:38 AM
Can someone explain how HIIT targets bodyfat more than muscle as opposed to doing a longer session of less intense cardio? This does not make any sense to me.

Oh and what's the bottom line - HIIT in the morning on an empty stomach or in the morning after eating something?

Ironman8
05-25-2003, 09:59 AM
NDBeast, did you check out the sticky at the top?

Also, I think doing HIIT in the AM when not eating anything is too catabolic.

KingJustin
05-25-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by NDBeast
Can someone explain how HIIT targets bodyfat more than muscle as opposed to doing a longer session of less intense cardio? This does not make any sense to me.

Oh and what's the bottom line - HIIT in the morning on an empty stomach or in the morning after eating something?

I'm not sure of the exact science of it, as I really don't care to spend that much time to learn it, but HIIT is supposed to burn fat for 3-14 hours after your running workout.

If I were doing HIIT to lose body fat, then I would wake up, have a banana and some water, maybe a little bit of gatorade, and then I would wait about 20 minutes and start a nice, 5+ minute warm-up (longer if it's colder) and stretch really well. Maybe jog for a couple more minutes and then start the maximum effort sprint until I couldn't sprint anymore, followed by a jog until I felt most of the way recovered, and then repeat until I was completely exhausted.

If I was seriously cutting, I would probably jog for 20-30 minutes the next day, and then do HIIT again...this would put you in great shape pretty fast, not to mention it would be ideal for dropping bodyfat levels...maybe take off once per week, after the cardio sessions (HIIT will put a lot of lactic acid in your system and make you sore, and light cardio for 45-90 minutes will help you get rid of that). Train each muscle that you care not to lose strength or size in once per week just short of failure. When you go back to training normally again, you'll be in great shape and your gains will be quicker than ever.

Most of this information is from exrx.net & personal experience...Here's what sums most of it up:

Exercise & Weight Loss
With a typical exercise program, it is common to maintain weight yet lose fat and gain muscle
Girth can decrease since muscle is denser than fat.
A sheer gain in muscle results in a lower percent of body fat
More exercise and improvements in diet may be needed for substantial loss of fat
Regular body composition tests can assess the effectiveness of a program
Absolute weight of fat and lean body weight should be tracked and analyzed
Caloric intake/expenditure goals can be adjusted accordingly
A review of the literature suggests in order to achieve significant fat loss with aerobic activity
Exercise or activity must be performed most days of the week.
Progress to at least 45 minutes, 60-90 minutes recommended
Aerobic exercise should be between 60 to 80% maximum heart rate for progressively longer durations.
Lower intensities must be continued for very long durations
Intense exercise (eg. weight training, HIIT, plyometrics, sprints) can increase metabolic rate for hours after the vigorous workout.
The combination of anaerobic and aerobic activity results in faster fat loss than anaerobic or aerobic activity alone.
Intense anaerobic exercise increases the metabolism hours after exercise
Aerobic exercise burns fat during exercise, but has little effect afterwards
Exercise (particularly weight training) develops muscle
Restores muscle that had been lost over the years of a sedentary modern lifestyle.
One pound of muscle can burn 30 to 50 Calories a day
One pound of fat burns only 3 Calories a day

Beast
05-25-2003, 01:03 PM
Ironman: I read the sticky but I was too lazy to read it again. :) Also, can you provide some more info for me about it being catabolic? I always thought that cardio in the AM was like THE thing to do when cutting for bodybuilders. Thanks.

Bizatch: Thanks for the info. I'm like 12-13% BF right now but I just want to get down to around 8 for the abs. I'm going to be doing HIIT in the morning (7am) and then lift around 5pm. I want to cut down to 8% by the end of July, hopefully.

Ironman8
05-25-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by NDBeast
Also, can you provide some more info for me about it being catabolic?

Well, as I understsnd it, since you liver glycogen was depleted during sleep, your body would want to use fat and muscle for energy during cardio. But, that information is a little shaky :)

carolinagirl
05-25-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8

Well, as I understsnd it, since you liver glycogen was depleted during sleep, your body would want to use fat and muscle for energy during cardio. But, that information is a little shaky :)

So why post it then????

:bang:

Ironman8
05-25-2003, 11:27 PM
For someone to correct it...

PowerManDL
05-25-2003, 11:31 PM
I think she's more referring to the constant stream of styrofoam-like inanity as opposed to any one post.

DylanWaneIV
05-26-2003, 03:29 PM
HIIT rocks the MOTHERFREAKIN HOUSE !!!!

b33fc4ke
05-26-2003, 04:42 PM
I got a quick question...........can you do HIIT or would it be effective with something like skipping as well?

NateDogg
05-26-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by b33fc4ke
I got a quick question...........can you do HIIT or would it be effective with something like skipping as well?

If you mean jumping rope, then sure.

Brawl
05-26-2003, 05:54 PM
This better work you guys . I hate jogging in any form , hence my 14% bodyfat . I'm gonna try this now and if it doesn't work I'm gonna ... ummm, do nothing I guess but go back to jogging .

Ironman8
05-26-2003, 06:48 PM
IMO, sprinting is harder than jogging.

DylanWaneIV
05-28-2003, 08:31 PM
Just wanted to update and say this is the 3rd week of HIIT and I was up to 10 sprints today, after I finished I thought I was going to have a stroke, head was throbbing and I could barely breathe, but it's giving me a tightness like none other so I will keep doing it. The heat and humidity are freaking unbearable down here. My 6 pack is coming on strong and my muscle are growing GO HITT !!!! :D

RedBetta
05-29-2003, 09:33 AM
Dylan, no $**t about the heat and humidity in TX. It sux to run outdoors.

Beast
05-29-2003, 05:14 PM
lol,Yeah, I'm with you guys on that. I've been doing HIIT in the morning, so it's nice and cool outside, though. :)

DylanWaneIV
06-01-2003, 09:59 AM
I even picked up a couple chicks phone numbers while doing HIIT at the track, HIIT great all around.

NateDogg
06-01-2003, 10:10 AM
lol

KingJustin
06-01-2003, 07:59 PM
I want to take back one of the things I said...

I would have some Whey protien mixed with water before beginning HIIT. I've read from a couple different sources that it's been tested to produce more fat burning and less muscle burning...

NotVinDiesel
06-04-2003, 01:56 AM
I've been doing the Body For Life thing after four months of mass building, so I was already immersed in cardio three times a week for the last 7 weeks. As people that know the program know, the cardio has continuous 4 minute buildup/drop/buildup routine that goes on for about 20 minutes.

I decided to try HIIT last week for my 3rd cardio session of the week and my first this week. So far I'm impressed. Obviously I wasn't expecting to see too many differences in the mirror after only two times, but I know I burnt more calories, traveled a longer distance and was much more exhausted at the end. I plan on finishing my last four weeks of cardio using HIIT on those days, and I can actually do it on the treadmill. There's about 6 or 7 seconds of speed change regardless of going jog to sprint or vice versa, but it evens out. You just have to be pinpoint with your finger.

ask
06-04-2003, 02:17 AM
Haha, that's a fantastic nick right there, Vin!