PDA

View Full Version : CKD diet questions from a new guy

FattyBri
05-23-2003, 06:46 AM
I started the CKD diet a couple of weeks ago and I have a few questions. Overall I am happy so far as I can already see a difference, but I feel I have lost too much muscle. I believe I should up my calories. I am 6 feet tall 205 lbs (was about 212 at start). BF was 14.5% at start, haven't had it checked yet since beginning.

Here is a typical day.

7am 3 hotdogs with little cheese on top
few bites of cottage cheese

10am 1 can tuna mixed with mayo

1pm green salad with chicken breast, Italian dressing

3pm 1 can tuna mixed with mayo

6pm 2 grilled hamburger patties with cheese, mayo, mustard

8pm Workout
9pm 1 scoop protein low carb protein powder in water
1 scoop natty pb

Now that I've written this down I think my calories are too low and I need more fat. My legs and arms have gotten very vascular, but of course the belly is the last to go. Just don't want to lose too much muscle. I haven't been below 200lbs in over 5 years and I am getting close! I would prefer to finish my plan at 195-200lbs at 7-8% BF.

Also- some bars out there have net carbs. Should I stay away from these anyway since they contain malitol, fiber, etc. are these freebie carbs and I shouldn't worry about them or do I stay away??

Suggestions or comments from the experts please!!

Brian

Ironman8
05-23-2003, 06:53 AM
How about adding some more healthy fats in your diet? Like fish oil or flax supplements.

And yes, those bars that have net carbs can kick you out of CKD. It all comes down to total carbs.

And congrats on the weight loss!

FattyBri
05-23-2003, 06:56 AM
I thought the bars would be bad news, good thing I passed on them!

Maybe a couple tablespoons of flax at each meal??

What is a good goal to keep my carbs under for the day? 10? 20? 30? 50? It would help if I had a number in mind all day to shoot for staying under.

Brian

GhettoSmurf
05-23-2003, 08:03 AM
most people try to stay under 20g of carbs.

is the mayo FULL-FAT mayo? same with the italian dressing and such?

bradley
05-23-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
And yes, those bars that have net carbs can kick you out of CKD. It all comes down to total carbs.

Yes the bars can kick some people out of ketosis but you can always experiment with them and see if they kick you out of ketosis.

It is not total carbs that matter on a ketogenic diet but net impact carbs. For example if you eat brocolli that says it has 8g of total carbs and 5g of fiber then you would only count 3g towards your daily carb total.

The exception would be when dealing with the low carb bars that contain sugar alcohols.

FattyBri
05-23-2003, 10:17 AM
Yep, I use the full fat mayo and italian, both of which have only trace carbs.

So, let me see if I have this straight.... fiber is ok like in some veggies like brocholi, but I need to stay away from the sugar alcohols like malitol. Is that correct?

Brian

raniali
05-23-2003, 10:55 AM
fiber is your friend on keto diet. i also suggest finding supplemental fiber( pysllium husks) and drinking that as well. stay away from anything with the word "sugar" in it -- sugar alcohols included.

what are your total cals for the day anyways? and have you calculated your protein/fat ratio?

GhettoSmurf
05-23-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by FattyBri
Yep, I use the full fat mayo and italian, both of which have only trace carbs.

So, let me see if I have this straight.... fiber is ok like in some veggies like brocholi, but I need to stay away from the sugar alcohols like malitol. Is that correct?

Brian

fiber is your BEST fiend (like raniali said). that doesnt mean to go totally insane on the broccoli, but you would have to eat a pretty un-godly amount to have the broccoli alone kick you out of keto. try to stick to really fibrous veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, celery, lettuce, etc.

have you thought about using a site like www.fitday.com to track your carbs/calories? that might really help. and just be careful with the natty PB, and the cottage cheese, sometimes those carbs can add up faster then ya think ;)

Ironman8
05-23-2003, 03:08 PM
Ya, fiber helps alot in a CKD diet. Makes you feel full longer.

greekboy80
05-24-2003, 12:12 PM
you should have no problem feeling full on a CKD. protien takes the longest to digest, so feeling full should be the highest. it usually the other way around...the more carbs you eat(easier to digest) the quicker you are hungary.

FattyBri
05-27-2003, 08:48 AM
Thought I would give an update after 2 full weeks on CKD. I started at 212, and weighed in last night at 206. I got down to 201 Friday before my refeed.

I like to go by my "Monday weight" as a guage of where I am at. I think if my monday weight is down 1-2 lbs from the previous monday, then I am on track. I have heard/read that the first 1-2 weeks yo will lose more weight because of water weight and now I should see 1-2lbs a week drop. Does that seem like what others have experienced? Sure did enjoy my cocoa krispies this weekend!!:D

Brian
the incredible shrinking man

bradley
05-27-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by FattyBri
I like to go by my "Monday weight" as a guage of where I am at. I think if my monday weight is down 1-2 lbs from the previous monday, then I am on track.

I would probably weigh in first thing Friday morning instead of Monday morning after the carb up. I think this would give a more accurate measure of weight loss because glycogen/water weight could vary from week to week. Weighing in on Friday would eliminate this because you should be pretty much depleted after low carbs all week.

I have heard/read that the first 1-2 weeks yo will lose more weight because of water weight and now I should see 1-2lbs a week drop. Does that seem like what others have experienced?

You are correct in that you will experience a high amount of weight loss during the first week due to water/glycogen losses. A weight loss of 1-2lbs. a week sounds like a good number to me. Closer to 1lb a week would be better IMO.

FattyBri
05-27-2003, 10:10 AM
Bradley- yep, you are right about weighing myself on Friday instead of Monday. That would be more accurate than after a more irregular (different foods) refeed. Thanks

Brian

raniali
05-27-2003, 11:28 AM
the only problem with weighing on friday is that much of the weight loss during the week is due to water by this point and, of course, can fluctuate. but i do think its better than a monday weigh-in full of refeed bloat.

GhettoSmurf
05-27-2003, 11:30 AM
btw - congrats on the weight loss so far!

bradley
05-27-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by raniali
the only problem with weighing on friday is that much of the weight loss during the week is due to water by this point and, of course, can fluctuate. but i do think its better than a monday weigh-in full of refeed bloat.

I would think that the weight loss due to glycogen/water weight would be fairly consistant each week. I agree in that both methods leave a lot of room for error, and a bf test every couple of weeks would probably be the most accurate.