PDA

View Full Version : homemade pizza

johnny123
05-23-2003, 11:17 AM
i love pizza. who doesnt. although the pizza in San Diego cannot come close to the pizza in New York. i want it, but i want to make it myself, so i can indulge, but not blow my diet. although if i found a pizza place i actually liked around it, i would just live it up, but since i dont, im going to be adventurous and make it myself.

any ideas on how to make it?

Berserker
05-23-2003, 11:26 AM
If you like thin crust try using a soft taco or burito wrap for the crust. Otherwise jsut buy a bag of crust mix, mix with water and make as thick as you like.
Then just put the stuff you like on it. Takes alof cheese buy atleat a lb.
Anybody ever try wheat wraps, they got less carbs.

GhettoSmurf
05-23-2003, 01:07 PM
take a piece of whole-wheat bread. put on some sauce, cheese, and w/e else. pop it in the oven for a little bit. and wallah! pizza toast! :D

johnny123
05-23-2003, 01:46 PM
thanks! im trying to get a little crazier with actualy dough, which i know isnt great for me, but i was hoping to do the bext i can with it. i worked at a pizza place for 5 years youd think i know how to make one! im looking for how to make the ingredients work for me, rather than the ones that come with a reg pizza

bradley
05-23-2003, 01:47 PM
You could use whole wheat pitas or regular pitas for that matter as the crust. Throw some tomato sauce and cheese and then whatever toppings that you want. I would personally load it up with veggies (onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc.) and maybe top with some grilled chicken or lean cuts of ham. This would make a nice personal size pizza.

Ham and pineapple sounds good as well.

*calls Dominoes*:)

bradley
05-23-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by johnny123
thanks! im trying to get a little crazier with actualy dough, which i know isnt great for me, but i was hoping to do the bext i can with it. i worked at a pizza place for 5 years youd think i know how to make one! im looking for how to make the ingredients work for me, rather than the ones that come with a reg pizza

If you are going to make the actual dough then I would recommend finding a recipe and then attempting to substitute some of the ingredients for a more healthy alternative. Although the only think that I can think of that you would be able to substitute is the flour and maybe egg substitutes instead of whole eggs. I would think the rest of the ingredients would be essential in assuring that the dough rises and cooks properly. Worth a shot if you have the time to play with the recipe.

raniali
05-23-2003, 02:27 PM
btw - the best pizza dough requires a baking stone. the stone is placed in the oven and the dough on top of that. depending on how often you plan to make pizza, it makes a big difference, but can be pricey depending on the size.

*edit: there are several substitutes for regular white flour. the easiest is to use unbleached, brown flour -- but it is still wheat-based flour. oats in a blender, puree makes oat flour, but there is a different gluten and, therefore, rise in oats. also - you can purchase potatoe flour or rice flour to stay away from wheat. again- they all have different amounts of gluten and this affects both the rise and "stickiness" of the dough. however, its worth experimenting with.

Ironman8
05-23-2003, 03:03 PM
I like tortilla pizza. Some tomatoe sauce, cheese, and some chicken breast pieces :D.