PDA

View Full Version : Too much appitite

PeterParker
05-24-2003, 02:28 AM
anybody suffering from this.
ill make this a quick post, at the moment mines through the roof .
Ave daily cals are around 3500. Carbs-500+ Pro- 300 fats- 150+
i eat very clean, i seem to be eating all the time even when at the gym{ bananas and malt loaf is a daily slight when im there].
I dont seem to get full.
ps im already eating all the right stuff and never have cheat meals . any suggestions.
GavG

lazyman79
05-24-2003, 02:53 AM
Hey, I have the same problem. I have a 3600 cal diet, but no matter how my day goes I'm still always hungry. For days when I do extensive activates I will eat more than 3600 cals, but keep the carbs and protein relatively close to each other when eating those other meals. On a day with less activity I usually have some diet cokes on hand. It’s probably not the best thing, but it suppresses my appetite pretty good.

49.4% 40.6% 10%
372 - 306 - 75
Probably should add in some more fat, but eh, its a healthy diet and I like it.

bradley
05-24-2003, 05:15 AM
PeterParker and Lazyman-

What are you current goals, cutting/bulking? Also what are you stats, weight, bf%? A little more info would probably help:)

PeterParker
05-24-2003, 05:40 AM
Stats- 163lb slow bulk around 1lb a week.
training spilt 4 on 1 off [in training for fire dept]
bf under 12%

that help u bradley

bradley
05-24-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by PeterParker
Stats- 163lb slow bulk around 1lb a week.
training spilt 4 on 1 off [in training for fire dept]
bf under 12%

that help u bradley

If you are gaining then I would say you are taking in enough cals so that shouldn't be a problem. Are you getting any vegetables in your diet, which would help in keeping you full longer without adding many cals?

Another thing that comes to mind is what type of carbs are you eating? If you are eating high GI carbs this could cause you to become hungry as well. Stick to low GI carbs throughout the day and save the high GI carbs for pre/postworkout.

PeterParker
05-24-2003, 05:54 AM
diet is very clean, veg 2-3 a day, low gi carbs with meals. high carbs durning pre/post.
lol- when my diet wasnt in check i had no probs, now i measure,weight and record everything i just seem to want to eat all the time.

PeterParker
05-24-2003, 06:12 AM
ps diet wasnt clean , cals not over 3200 .

GhettoSmurf
05-24-2003, 06:52 AM
maybe you should try eating more fibrous foods? then again, you say you are already eating veggies so i dunno :(

maybe you are just htinking about food too much? ;)

Ironman8
05-24-2003, 07:14 AM
How about reduce the carbs, increase the fat and protein. They take longer to digest, hence keeping you full.

bradley
05-24-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by PeterParker

Ave daily cals are around 3500. Carbs-500+ Pro- 300 fats- 150+

Well according to this you are eating about 4550 cals not 3500.

Anyway, if you are hungry then I would just eat more fibrous veggies and see if that helps you, and you could also increase your fat intake which might help keep you satisfied as well. If you decide to increase your fat intake you could eat less protein or carbs so as not to increase your overall calorie level. I really don't see the need in eating 300g of protein unless you weigh 300lbs.

Berserker
05-24-2003, 08:22 AM
Don't know if its true but I've heard some oils suppress appetite.

Ironman8
05-24-2003, 08:35 AM
Yup, oil has the same concept as fat keeping you feel. Takes longer to digest.

lazyman79
05-24-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by bradley
PeterParker and Lazyman-

What are you current goals, cutting/bulking? Also what are you stats, weight, bf%? A little more info would probably help:)

Hey, mainly just working to maintain right now while (maybe) gaining back some of the weight I lost. A pound or two here and there wouldn’t hurt. =-)

Current weight 157 at 5'7, was 164 but when my appendix became infected I thought it was food poisoning and couldn’t eat without puking. Current Bf is 12%. Goal is eventually to be 180-190 with 8% bf. I would say how often I workout and my activities but I'm afraid of being scolded for it. :rolleyes:

bradley
05-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by lazyman79

Hey, mainly just working to maintain right now while (maybe) gaining back some of the weight I lost. A pound or two here and there wouldn’t hurt. =-)

Current weight 157 at 5'7, was 164 but when my appendix became infected I thought it was food poisoning and couldn’t eat without puking. Current Bf is 12%. Goal is eventually to be 180-190 with 8% bf. I would say how often I workout and my activities but I'm afraid of being scolded for it. :rolleyes:

What is your weight doing right now? Is it increasing, decreasing, or remaining about the same?

If you think your current calorie intake is okay (since I can't really judge from the info you have provided), then I would try incorporating some of the things that was recommended to PeterParker. You might want to think about bumping up your fat intake a little to ensure that you are getting the proper amounts of EFA's in your diet. I would aso recommend maybe concentrating on one goal (cutting/bulking) as I think this will be the fastest way to reach your long term goals.

If you want you can PM me your diet and training schedule if you do not want to post it in the open forum and I might can be of more help.

kook
05-24-2003, 05:17 PM
want to suppress appetite??? drink green tea...

Ironman8
05-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Green tea? Please elaborate.

Maki Riddington
05-24-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Green tea? Please elaborate.

*** Apparently it seems that the epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) found in Green tea may have some sort of effect on appetite.

Endocrinology 2000 Mar;141(3):980-7

Modulation of endocrine systems and food intake by green tea
epigallocatechin gallate.

Kao YH, Hiipakka RA, Liao S

Ben May Institute for Cancer Research, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and Tang Center for Herbal Medicine Research, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA.

Green tea polyphenols, especially the catechin, (-)epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), have been proposed as a cancer chemopreventative based on a variety of laboratory studies. For clear assessment of the possible physiological effects of green tea consumption, we injected pure green tea catechins ip into rats and studied their acute effects on endocrine systems. We found that EGCG, but not related catechins, significantly reduced food intake; body weight; blood levels of testosterone, estradiol,
leptin, insulin, insulin-like growth factor I, LH, glucose, cholesterol,
and triglyceride; as well as growth of the prostate, uterus, and ovary.
Similar effects were observed in lean and obese male Zucker rats,
suggesting that the effect of EGCG was independent of an intact leptin receptor. EGCG may interact specifically with a component of a leptin-independent appetite control pathway. Endocrine changes induced by parenteral administration of EGCG may relate to the observed growth inhibition and regression of human prostate and breast tumors in athymic mice treated with EGCG as well as play a role in the mechanism by which EGCG inhibits cancer initiation and promotion in various animal models of cancer.

PeterParker
05-24-2003, 08:18 PM
thanks you guys, il up my good fats and see if that works.

kook
05-25-2003, 12:49 AM
maki said it, just try it, drink it while you eat, you wont eat much

lazyman79
05-25-2003, 03:26 AM
I hope this information helps. This is my current diet. My weight seems to stay the same for the most part, but I have gained at least 1 pound back that I lost. =-) I have them set into meals and placed at certain times. Like I eat the breads and eggs before a workout and the protein bars, tuna and milk after. I'm a huge milk drinker so either way I'd probably be drinking that much a day or more. Pretty simple diet, I know it could be structured better but I tried to make it easy as possible and affordable.

What I eat in a day...
5 symetry bars 41.1 cents a bar!!
10 total cups milk
6 eggs whites
6 whole eggs
1 can tuna
8 slices bread

Current Routine 6-7 days a week one muscle each day. I also run 3-4 times a week usually, but I have had knee problems so I've had to cut back quiet a bit. New workout, decided to try somthing new. Old one I worked out 4-5 days a week with usually 2 muscle groups a day.

Monday: Chest
Tuesday: Biceps
Wednesday: Back
Thursday: Triceps
Friday: Legs
Saturday: Shoulders
Sunday: Abs

You’ll have to excuse me if I’m a little embarrassed to post my diet and routine. :(

bradley
05-25-2003, 04:38 AM
What I eat in a day...
5 symetry bars 41.1 cents a bar!!
10 total cups milk
6 eggs whites
6 whole eggs
1 can tuna
8 slices bread

I think if you added in some veggies and more fat (healthy fats) into your diet that would help a lot. The only fiber in your diet is from the bread and maybe a little from the symetry bars.

I would recommend trying to incorporate a little more variety into your diet if possible. I am not sure what the nutritional breakdown of a symetry bar is but if it contains a lot of sugar this could be causing the hunger you are referring to.

I would probably cut down on the milk and maybe substitute in some other lean protein sources. Milk has a high insulin index and controlling insulin levels throughout the day can also help control hunger.

Ironman8
05-25-2003, 09:50 AM
Also, when I cut, I found drinking cold water helped supressed my appetite. Don't ask me why though :)

lazyman79
05-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by bradley

I think if you added in some veggies and more fat (healthy fats) into your diet that would help a lot. The only fiber in your diet is from the bread and maybe a little from the symetry bars.

I would probably cut down on the milk and maybe substitute in some other lean protein sources. Milk has a high insulin index and controlling insulin levels throughout the day can also help control hunger.

Less MILK!!!! OOOooo, this is going to be hard. I always thought milk made you feel full. Never thought of the insulin from it affecting my hunger.=-(

Hey, quick question on the fats. I have read that a person should have no more than 10% fat calories in there diet. Is this true? I am at about 16.5% fat cals in my diet. To raise the fat in my diet would raise the percentage of fat calories.

Thanks Bradley I will try some of the things you said. Hopefully it works. :)

GhettoSmurf
05-25-2003, 01:44 PM
10%???

thats way to low IMO.

just under 25% of my calories are from fat.
i think most people aim for between 20% and 30% (unless they are on a keto diet)

maybe you are thinking of saturated fats?

powerhalf
05-25-2003, 01:44 PM
Whoever told you that you should have no more than 10 percent of your cals from fat in your diet is either misinformed, or a complete moron. I would never have anything less than 20%, and there's nothing wrong with 30% or so either, especially if you're bulking.

bradley
05-25-2003, 04:40 PM
Hey, quick question on the fats. I have read that a person should have no more than 10% fat calories in there diet. Is this true? I am at about 16.5% fat cals in my diet. To raise the fat in my diet would raise the percentage of fat calories.

It is fine to have more than 10% fat in your diet. Although you are getting 16% of your daily calories from fat, you have to look at the amount of EFA's you are getting in your diet. Looking at your diet the majority of your fat calories are coming from the eggs, milk(unless it is skim), and the symetry bars. The milk and symetry bars are not going to offer much in the way of EFA's and this is the reason that I recommended you increasing your healthy fat intake. You could add in some natty pb., fish oil, flax oil, oily fish (example would be salmon), etc. to help increase the EFA content of your diet. Getting 25-30% of your daily cals from fat and the majority from healthy fat sources will help ensure that you are getting adequate amounts of EFA's in your diet. I am not saying that 20% would not be a sufficient amount of fat but I usually go with about 25-30% just to be sure that I am getting adequate amounts of fat in my diet.

lazyman79
05-26-2003, 01:45 AM
Woohooo, I missed my peanut butter in my diet soooo much. =-) One of my favorite things to eat. Thanks for the info guys. BIG HELP! Especially the detail you went into bradley with what could be making me hungry all the time in addition to going into detail with the fat calories. Thanks! :D

Ironman8
05-26-2003, 09:05 AM
Woohooo, I missed my peanut butter in my diet soooo much. =-) One of my favorite things to eat.

Just make sure it's natural PB :)