PDA

View Full Version : is this considered HIIT?

frankm007
05-25-2003, 11:04 AM
I decided to try something like HITT today on my stationary bike... 2 minutes warmup, and then i did 30 second intervals of REALLLY FAST and then moderate pace... i did this for 10 minutes followed by a cool down, is this HIIT? heh

GhettoSmurf
05-25-2003, 11:16 AM
it sounds like it.

HIIT is basically

WARM-UP
10 Second Sprint
30 Second Jog
10 Second Sprint
30 Second Jog
Etc
Etc
COOL-DOWN

that would be an example of HIIT.

SoulOfKoRea
05-25-2003, 11:29 AM
seems like you aren't able to pedal fast enough to hit your max though, 30 seconds is a looooooong time if you do it right

frankm007
05-25-2003, 12:11 PM
well, it doesn't hafta be about pedaling though, i mean, i can just boost up the intensity of the bike... (makes it harder to pedal) isn't that good too?

Ed C.
05-25-2003, 01:16 PM
I don't see why you don't just run. It's a lot easier than riding a bike in my opinion. But yeah, that would be considered HIIT i guess.

Holto
05-25-2003, 01:40 PM
sounds good to me

when I use a bike I basically do sprints until exhaustion and make sure I keep the pedals moving when I'm not sprinting

GhettoSmurf
05-25-2003, 01:58 PM
the main thing is to just get your heart rate up high enough.

geoffgarcia
05-25-2003, 02:12 PM
no, making resistance harder isn't gonna do it (IMHO)

aka23
05-25-2003, 06:50 PM
If the intervals were sufficient intensity, then yes, I would consider it HIIT. You can do HIIT on a cycling machine, on a treadmill, on an elliptical trainer, on a 400m track, or in any other environment that is provides sufficient intensity. I consider this intensity to be high enough that you quickly get out of breath and cannot continue for more than a couple of minutes without lowering the intensity. For many people this is about 85% MHR or more.

Several of the key HIIT studies were done on cycling machines. The one that I have seen most frequently quoted is the Tremblay "Impact of exercise intensity on body fatness and skeletal muscle metabolism", which is summarized at http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html . This study was done on cycling machines. The HIIT group did traditional cardio for the first 5 weeks. I assume this was to get in shape for the HIIT. After week 5 the HIIT started off with 15 second intevals on a cycling machine at 60% max 10 second output and 60 second intervals at 70% max 90 second output. The duration and intensity of the intervals increased as the weeks went on. The HIIT group lost more than 3x as much fat (as measured by skinfolds) as the endurance training group even though they burned less than half the calories during the activity.

Having said that, many of these studies were done with untrained persons who can easily get their HR to high levels on a cycling machine. I find it quite difficult to get my HR up to high levels while on a cycling machine. Below are graphs of my heart rate during interval training on a treadmill and a cycling machine. The treadmill involved 15 one min high/one min low intervals. I was able to get my HR up to 97% of estimated maximum by the 13th interval. The cycling involved 3 hill programs with 90 second intervals, 60 second intervals, and 30 second intervals. I was only able to get my heart rate up to about 80% of estimated maximum on the cycling machines.

images/attach/jpg.gifAttachment: treadmill_intervals (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=525637)

Ironman8
05-25-2003, 07:56 PM
IMO, HIIT is best done sprinting.

frankm007
05-25-2003, 07:59 PM
alright ill give it a try, for how long anyway?

NateDogg
05-26-2003, 07:16 AM
See HIIT sticky.

Ironman8
05-26-2003, 09:22 AM
Well, 15 second sprint, 30 second jog, and then repeat sounds ideal.

frankm007
05-26-2003, 09:58 AM
i will give it a try, but for how long? 30 minutes, 20, 10?

NateDogg
05-26-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by frankm007
i will give it a try, but for how long? 30 minutes, 20, 10?

I would suggest starting with 10 just to see where you are at endurance wise. If you are just starting out with HIIT training and you're not tired by 20 minutes, I would say you are probably not working hard enough.

Ironman8
05-26-2003, 10:09 AM
Oh. 30 minutes sounds fine.

CBates
05-26-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Oh. 30 minutes sounds fine.

If you're just starting to do HIIT and you can go 30 minutes, you're obviously doing something wrong, I don't care how good of shape you may think you're in.

frankm007
05-26-2003, 01:04 PM
damn, so once i get used to it, 30 minutes is possible..i thought this was like "brief intense cardio session"...30 mins is what i regularly do anyway

NateDogg
05-26-2003, 01:07 PM
I tend to believe that 30 minutes of HIIT would be unnecessary. Like you state, it should be a "brief intense cardio session."

unshift
05-27-2003, 04:49 PM
i'm not really an authority on this seeing as i'm really overweight, but what i do is 10 mins of moderately difficult cardio followed by 10 minutes of HIIT (5 sec hard sprint, 10 sec rest) and by the end my shirt is totally drenched in sweat...

wether it works or not, only time will tell :)

Ironman8
05-27-2003, 06:29 PM
Well, I guess 30mins. is a bit overdoing it :). I would follow everyone's advice and do it for 10mins.

fen2zla
05-27-2003, 06:45 PM
If you are new to it, I would recomend starting at 5 to 10 minutes. Then gradually increase it by 5 minutes when/if you feel you can do it at the same intensity all the way through. Keep it nice and short, up to about 20 minutes max.

frankm007
05-29-2003, 04:45 AM
how many times a week do u guys do this? I'm currently bulking and thinking of doin it twice a week

CBates
05-29-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by frankm007
how many times a week do u guys do this? I'm currently bulking and thinking of doin it twice a week

I'm cutting and I do cardio 4 days a week. Two days HIIT and two days of regular cardio by doing a 25-30 minute jog.

HugeQuadz
07-09-2004, 03:46 PM
I've read a lot of good stuff on HIIT and now I'm incorporating it into my fitness routines. I always thought endurance sessions were good, but studies showed that HIIT runners burned 9x more fat than endurance runners. And the time HIIT takes is great, too; no long, boring, jogging.

However, what is your opinion on HIIT before breakfast? I've heard cardio is awesome before breakfast because glycogen levels are low, and the body uses stored fat, rather than carbs from food, which is like cardio after weight-training, which is anaerobic.

So, what's the opinion on HIIT before breakfast???

KingJustin
07-09-2004, 04:03 PM
I have a few things to add.

First, I don't consider myself in terrible shape as I've ran a few times with a good track runner or with a guyfrom my lacrosse team that I'd consider in good shape. I am 225 lbs and given that it might be a bit different if you guys are like 190, but I stacked up well against the guys I ran with that. Still, I can't believe some of you can run for 20 minutes doing HIIT. This sounds bad until you try it, but I do 15 second all out sprints and follow it up by walking 45 seconds for 12 repeats. The track dude can usually go on a little shorter rest, but not all that much shorter and he's usually pretty beat at the end of it. I just can't fathom going 15 seconds all out, jogging 30 seconds and going for 20 minutes. That would be suicide for me.

The second thing is that I don't advise trying to do HIIT before breakfast as it tends to be quite catabolic after fasting and you may well end up losing muscle, though it should also help eliminate some stubborn fat.

Third, I had a question for Aka ... I know you've looked at quite a lot of studies, but have any of them indicated that shorter, more intense sprints are any less effective than "sprints" for minute? It seems as if the higher the intensity, the more fat burned. It would make sense to me that running for 15 seconds would be much more effective than for 1 minute ..

HugeQuadz
07-09-2004, 04:19 PM
I understand that HIIT in the morning is catabolic...but HIIT sessions aren't long and times do vary. Is there anything dangerously wrong with doing a 5-10 minute HIIT session before breakfast? I also do workout 3-5 times a week for 45 mins to 1 hour. So, like, 5-10 minute HIIT session before breakfast, and say, another 5-10 minute HIIT sessions sometime during the day...

shansen008
07-09-2004, 04:28 PM
For cardio i do the hill program on the stationary bike for 24 minutes at max resistance level (12 i believe) i can get my HR up to about 170 for approx. 30 secs.....hills are 1 minute long. Then there is a 60 minute coast period between hills. I try to train controlled breathing to get my HR back down to about 115-120. Then another hill starts again....they keep getting progressively harder. It isnt technically HIIT, but it is a lot closer to it then say jogging on a treadmill at a steady boring pace for 30-45 minutes. Your legs feel like you just went through your leg day workout afterwards too hahaha!

:strong:

I do that on Tuesdays and Thursdays usually, with weights being on Mon/Wed/Fri.

ryuage
07-09-2004, 04:35 PM
hitt uses glycogen as its primary source of fuel as it's anaerobic, therefor doing it on an empty stomach in the morning would be catabolic, but like bizatch stated it would help stimulate and release some of that stubborn fat... low-medium intensity cardio would be your best bet if you insist on doing it prior to breakfast.