PDA

View Full Version : Should I up my daily calorie consumption for HIIT?

Behemoth
05-25-2003, 04:25 PM
Should I up my daily calorie consumption for days that I do about a 15 minute HIIT session?

GhettoSmurf
05-25-2003, 05:56 PM
are you bulking or cutting?

i dont think you should up it a whole lot... becuase HIIT doesnt burn TOO many calories. you oculd maybe increase it a little bit.

Behemoth
05-25-2003, 05:59 PM
Cutting, well I'm trying to spare as much muscle as possible. So I was guessing I probably ought to up them some, but how much I don't know... 200 maybe?

GhettoSmurf
05-25-2003, 06:05 PM
sure, give it a try. i mena, its the only way to know for sure.

Behemoth
05-25-2003, 06:23 PM
Right, I will. I'm just wondering what everyone else does. If they up their cals, and by how much. So anyone who does HIIT feel free to let me know how your eating goes for the day.

Ironman8
05-25-2003, 07:36 PM
Well, when I cut a did HIIT, and ate until I was satisfied, but also at a point when I was losing weight. Like Ghetto said, you have to experiment.

Behemoth
05-25-2003, 08:10 PM
Pals, I have my diet down. Today was the first day I ever did HIIT. That's why I don't have down, so further on in this thread, please only reply if you can tell me how many calories you upped your daily intake to compensate for HIIT.

GhettoSmurf
05-25-2003, 09:07 PM
im sorry this isnt really about upping your calories to compensate for HIIT, but what are you doing diet wise for HIIT? like do you take some whey and dextrose after the HIIT? or just a regular meal?

PowerManDL
05-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Don't worry about total cals with respect to the session. Just make sure you got carbs in you to fuel the session.

We'll try to keep the signal-to-noise ratio lower from now on.

Manveet
05-25-2003, 10:37 PM
Treat it like a training day Behemoth, therefore pre and post workout should stay the same, don't do HIIT on an empty stomach type stuff. I honestly would not increase cals much, even if at all since you are cutting. Just as long as you get sufficient carbs pre and post you should be fine.

bradley
05-26-2003, 04:44 AM
I agree with Powerman and Manveet. Just make sure that you are taking in ample calories before performing the HIIT session and then after have another meal or shake. If you find that you are losing too much weight each week then adjust overall calories accordingly.

Basically just don't perform HIIT on an empty stomach. After completing the session have a meal or shake.

Behemoth
05-26-2003, 10:47 AM
Right, as far as my diet has gone to for HIIT. Yesterday was my first day and I just ate my regular meals. So about an hour before I ran I had a meal with protein, EFA's and complex carbs. Then I ran and about a half hour after I finished running I had a scoop of whey protein, then about a half hour after that I resumed regular meals.

Should I treat it like a workout and eat about 40g protein and 40 dextrose immediately afterwards though?

Manveet
05-26-2003, 10:52 AM
Yup, keep the same post workout nutrition.

Behemoth
05-26-2003, 10:56 AM
You sure on that?

Because I know some people don't even take in any sugar post-workout while cutting. Plus... is 2 scoops (44g) of protein really necessary after 15 minutes of running?

Ironman8
05-26-2003, 11:17 AM
You body is more open to carbs post-workout, so it would be beneficial to take in simple carbs after. Like dextrose or maltodextrin.

Manveet
05-26-2003, 11:19 AM
I understand you probably don't want the spike from the sugar etc....

But you do need to replenish muscle glycogen relatively quickly, and simple sugars like dextrose can do that for you. However, if you really do want to avoid the sugars etc.. you can always have oats post workout (which I'm currently doing) I usually just mix raw oats right into my shake. I usually split my normal shakes into two smaller ones, one that I take before and one after a session. I wouldn't be too concerned with protein after HIIT though, 1 scoop or two, either would suffice.

Behemoth
05-26-2003, 11:29 AM
Ok.

But why do I need protein at all after HIIT? No real muscle damage has occured that needs promptly recoverred. Is there?

PowerManDL
05-26-2003, 01:13 PM
There's a bit, yeah.

Behemoth
05-26-2003, 01:52 PM
Enough that 20-40g of protein are needed for repair?

Would a half scoop (11g) be sufficient? I'm a poor boy and cherish my whey:angel: