PDA

View Full Version : Veggies

Ferdo
05-26-2003, 12:05 PM
I was wondering if Vegatables keep their nutritional value and antioxidant nutrients when cooked on a grill. I heard before that when cooked they loose there value.

Ironman8
05-26-2003, 12:30 PM
Well, it will lose some nutrients, but not all.

bradley
05-26-2003, 02:18 PM
To help preserve the nutrients in vegeatables choose cooking methods that use the least amount of heat, for the least amount of time, and minimizes the amount of water needed to cook the vegetables.

The best methods would be cooking in a microwave, steaming the veggies (pressure cooking), stir frying, etc.

I would imagine grilling would cause them to lose more nutrients than the methods mentioned above. How much I am not for sure.

GhettoSmurf
05-26-2003, 02:27 PM
would grilling really make them lose their nutrients? i mean, i thought they lost a lot of the nutients and vitamins if cooked in water, or with high amounts of water involved becuase the vitamins in the veggies are mostly water-soluable so the vitamins end up in the water. but if you dont use water when you grill it, wouldnt the vitamins stay in the food? unless heat also destroys the vitamins??

bradley
05-26-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
would grilling really make them lose their nutrients? i mean, i thought they lost a lot of the nutients and vitamins if cooked in water, or with high amounts of water involved becuase the vitamins in the veggies are mostly water-soluable so the vitamins end up in the water. but if you dont use water when you grill it, wouldnt the vitamins stay in the food? unless heat also destroys the vitamins??

You are right in that some of the vitamins and minerals are leeched out of the veggies due to the water that they are cooked in. This is the reason that it is recommend to use as little water as possible and also pour the water that remains back over the veggies before serving.

The minerals that are contained in veggies would not be very susceptible to heat damage but some vitamins are. You can cook the veggies in ways that I mentioned above at a lower temperature as compared to throwing them on a grill which will usually have a higher temperature.

How much does this matter? Probably not much in the grand scheme of things and if you are really concerned about preserving the vitamin content of your vegetables I would recommend eating them raw (salad, etc.)

Ferdo
05-26-2003, 04:52 PM
The main part would be, am I still getting some nutritional value by eating grilled Vegeatables. If i get you right I might be loosing some but not all. Which is ok for me, as I will be getting from other sources as well

bradley
05-26-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Ferdo
The main part would be, am I still getting some nutritional value by eating grilled Vegeatables. If i get you right I might be loosing some but not all. Which is ok for me, as I will be getting from other sources as well

Basically I think it is fine to eat grilled veggies and I wouldn't really worry about losing a few of the vitamins due to cooking. Like you said you are getting vitamins and minerals from other sources and you are still getting valuable things like fiber, etc from the grilled veggies.

Look at it this way. You could be doing a lot worse, for example fying them:D

SoulOfKoRea
05-26-2003, 05:42 PM
they do lose some nutritional value, and my chemistry teacher had a story where back when people first learned that they lost nutrients, that people would drink the juice after cooking it...

GhettoSmurf
05-26-2003, 06:08 PM
here's a solution to all the problems: eat your veggies raw :)

Ironman8
05-26-2003, 06:32 PM
Also, fruit loses most of it's nutrients when it's left out of the fridge :)

Alex.V
05-26-2003, 06:55 PM
No it doesn't. :)

Ironman8
05-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Really? Studies show that when fruits kept in the fridge, most of the nutrients are preserved.

GhettoSmurf
05-26-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Also, fruit loses most of it's nutrients when it's left out of the fridge :)

do you have actualy *proof* of this?

bradley
05-27-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Really? Studies show that when fruits kept in the fridge, most of the nutrients are preserved.

I know if you put fruits in the fridge it will keep them from becoming spoiled due to the fact that they do not ripen up as quickly.

I would like to see some of these studies that you mentioned.

Ironman8
05-27-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by bradley

I know if you put fruits in the fridge it will keep them from becoming spoiled due to the fact that they do not ripen up as quickly.

I guess this is what I was referring too. I guess I got confused with the nutrient thing.

raniali
05-27-2003, 06:20 PM
i read eating frozen veggies can be better than eating them raw, since they are mostly harvested and packed at the peak of freshness, thereby preserving vitamins and nutrients.

moral of the story is - we are all going to die someday and i don't think you will add years to your life eating raw, frozen vs grilled veggies.

GhettoSmurf
05-27-2003, 07:33 PM
also, try adding some of that no-calorie spray butter to the veggies. ;) that stuff makes anything taste good :D