PDA

View Full Version : Cardio/lifting on same day

Beast
05-26-2003, 03:40 PM
Ok, I'm going to start a "summer abs" routine tomorrow. It consists of HIIT at 7am (I still don't know if I should eat before/after/at all since the threads on this run in circles) and my regular lifting session at ~5:15pm. I'm planning on doing this 2 days on/1 day off. Anyone else follow a similar routine?

aka23
05-26-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by NDBeast
Ok, I'm going to start a "summer abs" routine tomorrow. It consists of HIIT at 7am (I still don't know if I should eat before/after/at all since the threads on this run in circles) and my regular lifting session at ~5:15pm. I'm planning on doing this 2 days on/1 day off. Anyone else follow a similar routine?

I follow a somewhat similar routine. I do cardio and lifting on the same day, 5 days per week. I do lifting in the morning and cardio in the evening. I only do HIIT in the traditional sense once per week. I doubt that I could handle high intensity cardio on back to back days, like you have planned. This would be especially true if the workouts were near leg days. I like to do high intensity cardio one day, and low intensity cardio the next. I also like to switch the type of cardio to avoid overtraining. For example run one day and cycle the next.

In regards to the diet question, I would not recommend doing cardio on an empty stomach after fasting all night, regardless of the type. Doing cardio on an empty stomach is a common recommendation among recreational exercisers as well as some fitness professionals. It is true that doing cardio after fasting all night increases fat burning due to lower glycogen levels. However, it also increases muscle wasting due to the glycogen levels as well as high levels of the the catabolic stress hormone cortisol after an overnight fast. Furthermore doing cardio on an empty stomach greatly reduces endurance and performance, so you are likely to stop sooner and burn fewer calories. It also feels quite unpleasant for many, which makes you less likely to continue with the program. Personally, I feel awful if I am hungry while working out, and when my blood sugar gets low I start getting headaches and have other negative symptoms.

I would suggest doing cardio with something in your stomach, but not so soon after a meal that insulin levels would be high or there would be digestion problems. This is especially true if you are doing HIIT or other high intensity cardio for which glycogen/glucose is a primary fuel and you are not as concerned with fat burning during the activity.

I would suggest eating a typical post workout meal after doing any type of cardio. The meal should contain sufficient protein and carbs. The ideal carb to protein ratio may be a bit higher than after weightlifting, depending on the type of cardio being done.

Beast
05-26-2003, 05:27 PM
I just realized I posted this in the wrong section. *Doh!*

Thansk a lot for that reply, aka. How have your results been since you've been doing both cardio and weight training on the same day? Also, what do you eat before doing cardio in the morning?

GhettoSmurf
05-26-2003, 06:06 PM
yes, i'd say DEFINATLY eat before you do the cardio in the morning. I know im not aka23 ;) , but i usually just have some oatmeal and egg whites/1 whole egg before a morning cardio session.

Ironman8
05-26-2003, 06:34 PM
Also, what do you eat before doing cardio in the morning?

I usually have something that digest easily and has alot of carbs. So, I eat oatmeal and a banana.

Beast
05-26-2003, 07:11 PM
Ok, hopefully this goes well. Thanks for the help :)

GhettoSmurf
05-26-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8

I usually have something that digest easily and has alot of carbs. So, I eat oatmeal and a banana.

no protein????

Ironman8
05-26-2003, 07:58 PM
Well, I want something that digest pretty easily, so I try to ignore the protein.

aka23
05-26-2003, 11:32 PM
Thansk a lot for that reply, aka. How have your results been since you've been doing both cardio and weight training on the same day?

I have been using this approach to gain muscle while maintaining a body fat under 5%. Over the past 7 weeks, I have averaged a gain of about 1lb muscle per week. During this period I lost a small amount of body fat.

Also, what do you eat before doing cardio in the morning?

I do cardio in the evening and lift in the morning. I never go more than about 4.5 hours without eating, so eating before morning workouts is a different issue. I eat a regular meal 2-3.5 hours before doing cardio in the evening with meat, oatmeal, rice, vegetables, and fruit. More detailed information can be found in my journal at http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29874&perpage=25&pagenumber=13