PDA

View Full Version : whole grains vs. veggies

mindburnt
05-26-2003, 07:55 PM
I read an interesting article from Jay Robb about how whole grains are bad and its very compelling information. Do whole grains have any advantage at all over fruits and vegetables? this is my diet right here and if they have no advantage at all over them, then i was thinking of eliminating that half bagel and replacing it with another banana or nuts or something:

Meal One(if working out)
1/8 serving meal replacement & serving of whey protein
+12 oz 2% milk = 426 calories, 35.75 grams protein

Meal Two
2 eggs
3 slices lunch ham
2 apples
+water=392 calories, 27 grams protein

Meal Three
1 orange
1 carrot
2 cups lettuce
2 tbsp Catalina dressing
3 slices turkey
2 slices ham
1 tbsp peanut butter
+1/8 cup walnuts = 478 calories, 31.5 grams protein

Meal Four
Grow meal bar
+1/8 cup walnuts = 410 calories, 32.5 grams protein

Meal Five
banana
carrot
raw skinned potato
bagel
+ 1 tbsp peanut butter = 442 calories, 7.5 grams protein

Meal Six
8 frozen strawberries
cup vanilla yogurt
banana
scoop whey protein
cup milk=smoothie
+ 8 oz milk= 459 calories, 31.5 grams protein

Total
2607 calories, 165.75 grams protein

I weigh in at 157 at 5'9" if you think im crazy for staying away from grains, check this link out http://www.dolfzine.com/page334.htm

so far after being on this diet for 4 days, ive noticed a big improvement in athletic performance and endurance. i dont get hungry much either.

Ironman8
05-26-2003, 08:06 PM
Well, some people try to stay away from fruit when cutting, due to the sugar.

But, it all comes down to calories. If you're on a calorie deficit at the end of the day, you lose weight.

mindburnt
05-26-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Well, some people try to stay away from fruit when cutting, due to the sugar.

But, it all comes down to calories. If you're on a calorie deficit at the end of the day, you lose weight.

thats beside the point and the fructose sugar in fruit is different than the everyday cane sugar from grain. read the link i provided. im not a bodybuilder, just an athlete so im not worried about bulking/cutting. grains have an effect on our protein digestion according to the article. READ IT MAN!!! lol tuttut

Ironman8
05-26-2003, 08:39 PM
O.k, I read it, and this is what I understand.

Grains are the bad carbs. When they reach the bloodstream, they make glucose that secretes insuline, which lead to fat loss. Also,If you continue to consume grains and protein, then you risk depleting your alkaline reserves.

Is there anything else? I thought whole grain foods were good for you?

bradley
05-27-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
When they reach the bloodstream, they make glucose that secretes insuline, which lead to fat loss.

Insulin does just the opposite. It causes fat loss to come to a halt.

bradley
05-27-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by mindburnt
I read an interesting article from Jay Robb about how whole grains are bad and its very compelling information. Do whole grains have any advantage at all over fruits and vegetables? this is my diet right here and if they have no advantage at all over them, then i was thinking of eliminating that half bagel and replacing it with another banana or nuts or something:

This was taken from the article posted above(http://www.dolfzine.com/page334.htm):

Grains are an acid forming food, meaning their mineral content contains more phosphorous and less calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium (the four main alkaline minerals.)

Meat and protein are also acid forming, so when you eat the two together, you get an acid reaction in the body. Your body likes to be slightly alkaline, so your pancreas scrambles to secrete bicarbonates to help buffer the extra acid, just like it does following a hard workout.

Yes the above is true but if you ate things like veggies and fruit along with grains and meats then this would help keep the body more alkaline rather than acidic. Also the sodium content of the food would have something to do with the overall acidity of the meal (adding salt or using foods that contain sodium or have been cooked using added sodium would decrease the acidity).

Wheat and most grains, except millet and rice, contain a unique protein called gluten that irritates the intestines of millions of Americans. Gluten intolerance can cause gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, stomach cramps, poor digestion and hyperactivity in many individuals.

If this is the case then yes I would recommend to find another source of carbs rather than foods that contain gluten.

I find this article that also talks about this topic:
http://www.sweetpoison.com/ph-balance.html

bradley
05-27-2003, 05:58 AM
I know this thread is not really dealing directly with your question but there is a post by restless with a link that deals with your question.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29990&highlight=vinegar

RoidRage
05-27-2003, 09:33 AM
NOt all fruits are bad for a cut. Stay away from fruits grown in the south and eat fruits grown in the north (like apples) they have an extremely low GI number.

I can see how grains could be worse than veggies for carbs. BUt jesus christ have you thought about that amount of brocolli and cauliflower you'd have to eat daily to meet your carb requirements? 2 cups of cauliflower has like 8g of carbs. and if one is bulking and needs say 350g of carbs a day thats 87.5 cups of cauliflower a day how could one fit that much in there stomach in a day?

mindburnt
05-27-2003, 09:51 AM
heres my diet revised. theres less fruit, and it fits my needs perfectly. the reason i have supplements is cause im poor. believe it or not, but supplements do save a lot of money when you calculate it out with time. (i.e. weeks worth of meal bars)

Meal One(if working out)
1/8 serving meal replacement & serving of whey protein
+12 oz 2% milk = 426 calories, 35.75 grams protein

Meal Two
3 eggs
2 slices lunch ham
2 apples
1 carrot
+water=458 calories, 28grams protein

Meal Three
cup walnuts
2 cups lettuce
2 tbsp Catalina dressing
2 slices turkey
2 slices ham
1 tbsp peanut butter
= 490 calories, 28.5 grams protein

Meal Four
Grow meal bar
+1/8 cup walnuts = 410 calories, 32.5 grams protein

Meal Five
1 banana
2 carrots
medium raw potato
+ 2 tbsp peanut butter = 461 calories, 11 grams protein

Meal Six
8 frozen strawberries
cup vanilla yogurt
banana
scoop whey protein
cup milk=smoothie
= 339 calories, 25.5 grams protein

Total
2584 calories, 161.25 grams protein

GhettoSmurf
05-27-2003, 11:25 AM
have youe ver thought of some omega-3 fats like fish oils?

also, maybe some more protein in meal five?

Ironman8
05-27-2003, 06:05 PM
Ya. Taking fish oil or flax supplements would be a good way of getting some healthy fats in your diet.

mindburnt
05-27-2003, 09:14 PM
yes i take cod liver and flax oil pills every morning. the reason for the less protein in meal five is cause its right before i go to martial arts. Whenever i have more protein before then I fart up the dojo so bad that everyones eyes water. including mine. and its more than rude.

bradley
05-28-2003, 03:19 AM
yes i take cod liver and flax oil pills every morning. the reason for the less protein in meal five is cause its right before i go to martial arts. Whenever i have more protein before then I fart up the dojo so bad that everyones eyes water. including mine. and its more than rude.

If you are going to take flax I would recommend only taking the kind that is refrigerated in a dark tinted bottle. This woud ensure that the flax has not been exposed as it is very susceptible to damage from exposure to heat and light. In fact just supplementing with the cod liver oil or fish oil woud be fine IMO.

mindburnt
05-28-2003, 09:43 AM
I also get my omega 3 from the walnuts i eat. I also eat REAL peanut butter. not the crap with hydrogenated oils and roasted peanuts. Should i keep my walnuts in the fridge too? right now they're in a dark place (droor) at my work in room temp.

GhettoSmurf
05-28-2003, 10:14 AM
I also get my omega 3 from the walnuts i eat. I also eat REAL peanut butter. not the crap with hydrogenated oils and roasted peanuts. Should i keep my walnuts in the fridge too? right now they're in a dark place (droor) at my work in room temp.

do nuts contain omega-3 EFA's?

or at least a sufficient amount of them?

bradley
05-28-2003, 10:49 AM
Should i keep my walnuts in the fridge too? right now they're in a dark place (droor) at my work in room temp.

The walnuts should be fine. I was specifically referring to the flax seed oil.

bradley
05-28-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

do nuts contain omega-3 EFA's?

or at least a sufficient amount of them?

Walnuts do contain some omega 3's. According to the link below a 1oz. portion of walnuts contains aboutl 2.5g of omega 3's.

http://www.walnuts.org/health/han_nutrients.shtml

AlexBBbegginer
05-29-2003, 01:56 PM
The omega 3 oils in nuts and flaxseed, are nowhere near as beneficial as those found in deep sea fish and shellfish like salmon, mackeral etc

bradley
05-29-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by AlexBBbegginer
The omega 3 oils in nuts and flaxseed, are nowhere near as beneficial as those found in deep sea fish and shellfish like salmon, mackeral etc

I agree due to the fact that they contain alpha linolenic acid which has to be converted to EPA and DHA in the body, which is an inefficient process.

Although alpha linolenic acid does have health benefits.

GhettoSmurf
05-29-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by AlexBBbegginer

alright, thats what i thoght. thanks for clearing that up