PDA

View Full Version : A Question

Lord Worm
05-27-2003, 07:37 AM
I am cutting at the moment, my bf is only 11% but I want my abs to show so I am going to cut until my abs are really good, what bf % do you reckon will that be at and also after this I am going to go on a bulking diet to get muscle, but wouldn't this just put the fat back around my waist, so how would I keep my abs the same when I am on a bulking diet.

bradley
05-27-2003, 08:12 AM
It depends on the individual as to what level of bf% your abs will show the best. Things like overall ab development will play a part and also some people tend to store more fat in their abdominals while others store fat in other places.

As far as bulking, you should expect to add a little fat but if you gain at a slow rate and monitor your diet it will help minimize fat gains.

BobbyRS
05-27-2003, 08:50 AM
Here is a chart that was posted over at Fig's Natural Bodybuilding site. It is no longer there, but I have always kept it as a reference. This chart is in no way exact. Like bradley said, it depends on the individual. If anything, it may be a good reference to look at. I find myself reverting back to it often and it is, for the most part, correct for myself.

So at what body fat percentage do you see your abs? Well it depends on where your body chooses to lose the fat in the first place. At or below 10% bf is a good place to start.

Here is a quick guesstimate for you to judge what BF% you are:

20-22% BF = Waist in the 38-42" range and no abs what so ever.

20-18% BF = Waist in the 36-38" range and no abs what so ever.

18-16% BF = Waist in the 36-34" range and you can see some definition of the abs if you have the right light and shadows. Still have visible love handles.

16-14% BF = Waist in the 35-33" range and you can see the abs a little better, the top two might be more visible than the bottom. Still have love handles, but they are coming off.

14-12% BF = Waist in the 34-32" range (depending on your frame) you might start to develop some abs that can be seen all the way in shadows to just the top two, but no real definition just yet.

12-10% BF = Waist in the 33-32" range (no more love handles) this is the step right before you break into a full set of abs. The abs can be seen more readily with shadows and a lot of flexing. Some veins might appear in the arms at this point.

10-8% BF = Waist in the 33-30" range you should start to see the abs at this time, not ripped by no means, but some good abs. Veins should be seen in the arms with ease. You should not have to use shadows to see the abs. In a lighted room, you should see the abs like a wash board.

8-6% BF = Waist 32-29" range you should be cut and I mean cut. You should be able to see the triceps by flexing just the biceps. You should have washboard abs by now.

6-4% BF = Waist 31-28" range you are ready for a bodybuilding show and should look like a piece of raw meat.

4-2% BF = You are probably dead at this point.

** (These waist measurements I just made these up and they are not supported by any scientific data. They are just a guideline. In other words, they can be wrong and probably are) **

Ironman8
05-27-2003, 06:10 PM
Didn't AKA23 have a 4% BF?!

GhettoSmurf
05-27-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Didn't AKA23 have a 4% BF?!

i believe he is right around there.

i also have seen a pic. of a guy that claims to have been @ 3% in the pic.

BobbyRS
05-28-2003, 08:36 AM
:eek: WOW, 4%? That is to close to the dangerous line for me. 2-4% is usually considered essential body fat. It is the body fat that your body uses to function normally and to protect internal organs in the chest and abdomen. He would virtually have no excess body fat on his body at all. I have read a few stories where people with a bf% in that range were involved in a fight and were killed with a punch to the chest because of the lack of protective fat around their internal organs.