PDA

View Full Version : Pre/Post Workout Shake Questions

Theroc
05-27-2003, 01:16 PM
I have some questions about the Pre/Post workout shakes. I do 3 days weights and 3 days cardio(HIIT). I'm 6ft and I weigh 215.(~15%bf)
Currently I have been working out on a empty stomach than after 1hour I have a protien shake. I'm tryin to loose BF but spare my muscle.
After reading this forum it looks like I need to have pre work out shake?

Can you recomend a pre workout shake?

Also a post work out shake? Right now I'm taking Myoplex deluxe shake 1 hour after my workouts.

thanks,
Roc

Oh ya, will my shakes change on my lifting vs. cardio days?

GhettoSmurf
05-27-2003, 01:26 PM
i definately think lifting weights and/or cardio on an empty stomach is BAD.

you dont really need a pre-workout shake. how about just somthing like oatmeal and a protein source?

for post-workout all you really need is some whey and dextrose/maltodextrine.

SoulOfKoRea
05-27-2003, 03:13 PM
take your post workout shake as soon as possible

Manveet
05-27-2003, 03:31 PM
you need carbs post workout with your protein. The whole idea of a pre workout shake, for me anyway, is to split up my normal post workout shake into two.

bradley
05-27-2003, 04:13 PM
When you say you are working out on an empty stomach do you mean first thing in the morning?

Here is a thread on pre-workout nutrition:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31705

I would definetely recommend some type of postworkout shake immediately after training that contains some protein and high GI carbs.

unshift
05-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by bradley
When you say you are working out on an empty stomach do you mean first thing in the morning?

is this a bad thing? i'm also trying (desperately) to lose bodyfat (have a very high percentage) so i figure working out on an empty stomach is best because any energy i use would be coming out of fat stores.

i also read somewhere that if you're trying to lose fat, wait an hour after working out before you eat (same book) because your body will be repairing muscle and burning calories from fat stores to do so, but i stopped doing that as it doesnt make sense if you haven't eaten any protein before your workout

GhettoSmurf
05-27-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by unshift

is this a bad thing? i'm also trying (desperately) to lose bodyfat (have a very high percentage) so i figure working out on an empty stomach is best because any energy i use would be coming out of fat stores.

i also read somewhere that if you're trying to lose fat, wait an hour after working out before you eat (same book) because your body will be repairing muscle and burning calories from fat stores to do so, but i stopped doing that as it doesnt make sense if you haven't eaten any protein before your workout

take a look at the thread above that bradley posted

bradley
05-27-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by unshift

I think you should worry more about overall calorie balance at the end of the day. You need to create a caloric deficit either through diet, exercise, or a combination of the two.

Just adjust your cals in small increments each week so that you are losing the desired amount of weight each week. For example, if you are eating 3000 cals and not losing weight, then at the beginning of the next week drop cals to 2700 and remain at that calorie level for the week. If you are losing weight eating 2700 calories per day then keep calories at this amount. If not just drop the cals by another small increment. Weigh yourself once each week at the same time each week to judge your progress. I would recommend weighing first thing in the morning.

bradley
05-27-2003, 05:08 PM
Here are some recent threads that are also related to your questions:)

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31996

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32005

Ironman8
05-27-2003, 05:38 PM
You should center carbs around your workout.

GhettoSmurf
05-27-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
You should center carbs around your workout.

the only reason i feel necessary to do that is if you are on a TKD.

otherwise i'd be more concerned about the type of carb that you are eating around your w/o.

why do you feel that way ironman?

Ironman8
05-27-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
why do you feel that way ironman?

Well, to have extra energy when you're working out.

bradley
05-28-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8

Well, to have extra energy when you're working out.

I would say to refill muscle glycogen lost from training.