PDA

View Full Version : HIIT question

lilpenis
05-27-2003, 01:46 PM
I started on Saturday night and it almost killed me. Sprinting up and down my road.

I've seen many different views on how long you're supposed to sprint. Some say a few sets of 20 seconds. Other's do 2 minutes.
I myself, sprinted for 2 sets of 2 minutes. I could barely walk after that (yes I've never really sprinted before).
My question is, how many sets should I be doing and for how long?

Also, can jumping rope be used in HIIT ?

Tiare
05-27-2003, 01:49 PM
Anything can be HIIT as long as you elevate your heart rate very high for short periods.

As you get more practice, you will do more sprints. Just don't kill yourself getting there. In my peak, I was doing 15-20 1 minute sprints.

PowerManDL
05-27-2003, 02:01 PM
I really don't even bother timing them any more.

When I do HIIT now, I just hit a *hard* pace, go till I can't, then stop or slow down till I can repeat.

Fenbay
05-27-2003, 02:04 PM
I'm gonna start doing this myself ....now the real trick will be for the neighbors not to call the people with the straight jacket and net when they see me doing it.

Holto
05-27-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
When I do HIIT now, I just hit a *hard* pace, go till I can't, then stop or slow down till I can repeat.

this is exactly how I do it...

if the sprints were that taxing I say keep doing it

the benefits are clearly there

also you can work up in speed and distance

GIS
05-27-2003, 02:17 PM
I reccomend everybody try swimming for HIIT.

Full stroke swimming (aka freestyle) isn't the best idea because you easily go into oxygen debt, but try kicking with a kick board.

It's easy on the joints and you can really push yourself, plus your body doesn't overheat. Overall swimming is an amazing cardiovascular workout.

lilpenis
05-27-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Fenbay
....now the real trick will be for the neighbors not to call the people with the straight jacket and net when they see me doing it.

This is my problem lol
That's why I did it at night. When a car ddrove by I started walking. I must of looked really funny the other night

Wish I had a nice big yard

Ironman8
05-27-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Fenbay
now the real trick will be for the neighbors not to call the people with the straight jacket and net when they see me doing it.

LOL! I thought I was the only person who felt like this ;)

frankm007
05-27-2003, 07:14 PM
just wear a sexy lil thong once...it'll take all the embarassement out and u will be able to train as usual with no problem :) just let me know what street u'll be on so i make sure to stay away from it.

lilpenis
05-27-2003, 07:16 PM
can't you just sprint with HIIT and not "jog". 2nd night of HIIT for me. I did 4 or 5 30 second sprints with no jogging. It wore me out. Am I doing this right? I was out there for about 5 or 10 minutes. I stopped when I couldnt breathe lol

GhettoSmurf
05-27-2003, 07:40 PM
my impression of true HIIT has been around a 10-20 second sprit (going B@LLS TO THE WALL) and then jogging or even walking for 30 seconds or so. when you say you are sprinting for up to 2 minutes, do you feel that you are honestly going b@alls to the wall with your sprints?

lilpenis
05-27-2003, 08:02 PM
oh yes. I have to bend over after I'm done with each sprint. I do usually walk after my sprints. It's hard to even walk when I'm done.

MD2000
05-27-2003, 08:16 PM
I usually warm up for 10 minutes..then do 20 sec sprints and 10 sec cool downs for 10 more minutes..after that I wanna collapse.

KingJustin
05-27-2003, 08:22 PM
I agree with Powerman...

Just run as hard as you can (if you are breaking 30 seconds, unless you are in great shape, you aren't running fast enough) for as long as you can without giving up that pace, and then either jog or walk (I'd jog slowly, because sprinting after walking sucks) until you are most of the way recovered, and then start again. As you progress, try making your sprints longer & faster while taking shorter and shorter jogging "breaks".

Oh, and you can't sprint for 2 minutes. I really doubt that anyone can.

Compare the 200m x 4 times with the 800m times in the Olympics.. The 200m times kill the 800m ones...that's because nobody can possibly build up enough lung capacity to do an all out sprint for 2 minutes.

On my entire Cross Country team, not a single person could sprint 400m, which would take about 50 seconds at a full sprint (though one guy was pretty close)...and we've got about 5 people running 5ks in under 17 minutes.

lilpenis
05-27-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Bizatch

Oh, and you can't sprint for 2 minutes. I really doubt that anyone can.

I made a mistake in my initial post. Things were a little sketchy since the HIIT was saturday and I didnt post this until today.
I did my 2nd HIIT tonight, and you're right. I can't last 2 minutes. More like 20 seconds (maybe 30 wasnt timing).
thx for the replies

aka23
05-27-2003, 09:13 PM
It my opinion, the optimal HIIT program does not have a single type of workout . I think it is beneficial to vary intensity, work duration, and rest duration. HIIT does not have to be done at 100% maximum intensity, but should be done at intensity such that you quickly get out of breath and cannot continue more than a minute or two. Higher intensities, shorter intervals, and shorter recivery periods generally are more effective for the same duration workout. A beginner probably would want to work up towards such higher intensity workouts.

Tabata found remarkable cardiovascular improvements with 4 minutes of 20 second work and 10 second recovery. The group that followed this program had superior cardiovascular improvement to a group which did higher intensity and longer duration intervals, but had longer rest periods. Some example programs can be found in the links below:

http://www.tcnj.edu/~marion4/cardio.html
http://www.youronlinefitness.com/Fitness_Articles/articles/January_2003_articles/hiit_and_other_interval_training.htm
http://www.straightblastgym.com/endurance.html
http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit_table.asp
http://www.dolfzine.com/page484.htm