PDA

View Full Version : Calories

Ace
05-27-2003, 03:15 PM
I document everything I do in my fitday.com profile. It is a very easy way to keep everything organized. However, I have a question about its estimate on my calories burned.

Currently, I weigh about 196 11.5%BF.

This is what it has given me. This is before I even do a workout!

raniali
05-27-2003, 03:20 PM
if you keep a record of everything you eat and your training, you should be able to decide whether that estimate is good or not. i don't know what your metabolism is like or how active you are to make a judgment.

Ace
05-27-2003, 03:21 PM
Well, I don't do much of anything throughout the day. I basically sit at my desk and occasionally get up and walk across campus for something. I just thought that number was really high for my cals burned.

raniali
05-27-2003, 03:24 PM
but my point is -- how many calories are you consuming each day regularly and are you cutting/maintaining/bulking with this amount?

captnjosh
05-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Fitday bases the estimate it gave you on the activity level you select. Perhaps you selected an activity level higher then what yours actualy is.

bradley
05-27-2003, 04:23 PM
I personally wouldn't really worry about how many cals you are burning each day but worry more about how many cals you are taking in. If you are dropping weight too fast then you are not eating enough and if you are gaining or not losing at the desired rate then you are eating too much. I think this would be a better way to go about dieting than relying on some program or formula to compute the amount of calories you burn each day. There is too much room for error when using formulas like the one described above.

GhettoSmurf
05-27-2003, 04:53 PM
i personally only use fitday.com to track my food calories. i dont really care what it thinks about lifestyle or any of that.

counting calories is the only thing i consider fitday "accurate" of doing

Ace
05-27-2003, 05:14 PM
Alright, you guys have assured me what I thought in the first place. Don't depend on fitday's formula. ;)

Thanks.

Ironman8
05-27-2003, 05:35 PM
Ya, but fitday is pretty accurate on calories burnt during activity (don't about about weightlifting, just cardio).

bradley
05-28-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Ya, but fitday is pretty accurate on calories burnt during activity (don't about about weightlifting, just cardio).

I would have to disagree. Like GS said fitday is best used to track your calories, and I believe there is too much room for error and too many variables as far as the formulas that they use to calculate calories burned throughout the day and when exercising, etc.