PDA

View Full Version : Gaining 2lbs per week...too fast? too furious?

Airflight89
05-27-2003, 04:10 PM
I am currently in the middle of my first "serious" bulk. This just means that I'm finally counting my calories, making sure I hit my daily target and increasing it by 300-500 every two weeks. Now by doing this, I've gained about 2lbs per week. Is this too much too soon? Obviously I've noticed some fat gain but nothing I can't live with. My question is, am I being efficient with my current bulk and my future cutting cycle? I don't want to put on too much fat and work "extra" harder to slim down when I should have just bulked slower. I'm 5'9 164lbs, looking to bulk to 170, and in my 4th week of HST.

bradley
05-27-2003, 04:37 PM
I think I would cut back on the cals a bit and shoot for about a .5-1lb gain per week. This should help in decreasing the amount of fat that you gain.

Ironman8
05-27-2003, 05:45 PM
Are you bulking clean?

GhettoSmurf
05-27-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Are you bulking clean?

the cleanliness of the bulk isnt necessarily the reason for gaining 2 pounds a week.

a could eat 3000 calories worth of big macs from mcdonalds or i could eat 3000 calories of clean food, either way if 3000 calories is too many calories i'd gain the same amount of weight too fast.

intensity
05-27-2003, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't add calories every 2 weeks just for the sake of adding calories. Like, don't add cals just because it has been 2 weeks and it's time to add calories again. Only add calories when you STOP gaining. Look for like 1lb a week, and when you go a week or two without gaining anything (even .5 of a pound) THEN go add more calories.

Berserker
05-27-2003, 07:47 PM
I agree with intensity. Add enough calories that you gain weight, you don't need to keep adding. Personally for me 2lbs a week is to much. I don't like gaining the much fat. Also you risk the muscle when you cut all that fat.

Airflight89
05-27-2003, 08:23 PM
Ironman8: Are you bulking clean?

Nope, Dollar Menus are a big part of my bulk.

intensity:I wouldn't add calories every 2 weeks just for the sake of adding calories. Like, don't add cals just because it has been 2 weeks and it's time to add calories again. Only add calories when you STOP gaining. Look for like 1lb a week, and when you go a week or two without gaining anything (even .5 of a pound) THEN go add more calories.

Makes sense intensity ( try saying that 10 times):p
I really surprised myself by gaining the 8lbs the last four weeks. I just felt I needed to add the calories to keep on gaining, since my previous bulks have been pretty lame.

ryan1117
05-27-2003, 08:35 PM
That movie is going to be an unrealistic piece of trash!:)

I gained about a pound per week for 10 weeks a few months back. Honestly, I wasn't happy with my bodyfat gain at the end of it. I went from 7 to around 10 with the calipers after a 10 pound gain. So by doing the math, I gained around 4 pounds lean body mass and 6 pounds of fat with that bulk. I wasn't too happy with gaining more fat than lean body mass.

The next time I bulk, I'll probably go with 0.5lb per week.