PDA

View Full Version : Muscle has said bye bye. Improper dieting?

Ferry Costen
05-27-2003, 09:15 PM
Is it possible to lose just muscle and not fat if your dieting and doing cardio? I dropped 8lbs the past few months and it doesnt look like fat left. My muscle seemed to say bye bye and I am skinny again (though I do have definition). But the 8lb lost could be attributed to the fact muscle weighs more than fat?

I'm guessing my diet is reponsible for this since I've trained consistenly for over a year. I just don't understand how I can be 196lbs and be this way. Last year I was 195 and had more muscle and almost no fat. I've always been all natural (not even creatine). What do I do now? I need some serious advice. Should I continue trying to get big, or lose the fat first? Then try to get big? Lost, confused, crying, hungry

Would drinking 2 protein shakes a day help instead of just 1? I'm on a very clean diet btw. :cry:

lazyman79
05-28-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Ferry Costen
Is it possible to lose just muscle and not fat if your dieting and doing cardio? I dropped 8lbs the past few months and it doesnt look like fat left. My muscle seemed to say bye bye and I am skinny again (though I do have definition). But the 8lb lost could be attributed to the fact muscle weighs more than fat?

I'm guessing my diet is reponsible for this since I've trained consistenly for over a year. I just don't understand how I can be 196lbs and be this way. Last year I was 195 and had more muscle and almost no fat. I've always been all natural (not even creatine). What do I do now? I need some serious advice. Should I continue trying to get big, or lose the fat first? Then try to get big? Lost, confused, crying, hungry

Would drinking 2 protein shakes a day help instead of just 1? I'm on a very clean diet btw. :cry:

For one muscle does not weigh more than fat it just takes up less space. Pound for pound they are equal in weight. Most of the weight lost might just be water weight. I know when I cut I lose a lot of water before fat. This could also attribute to you thinking you have lost muscle. With less water weight it can make you look smaller or in your case make you believe you lost muscle. With less water it can also cause a drop in how well you do your workout. I have read without sufficient amounts of water it can cause up to a 13% drop in your workout. Not saying thatís the problem, but it could be part of it. Your diet should also play a big role. If you would post it, it would help out a lot more. You should PM Bradley your diet if you really think that might be the problem. Explain to him what you are trying to do and send him a copy of your diet. Other than that I donít think anyone can tell you to keep cutting or bulk up again it's your choice. Do what you believe is best. :)

bradley
05-28-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Ferry Costen
Is it possible to lose just muscle and not fat if your dieting and doing cardio?

I am sure that if you lost muscle then you lost some fat. If you dropped cals too quickly or are not taking in enough cals while at the same time adding in cardio then yes that could be a recipe for muscle catabolism. I suggest treating diet and cardio as variables. You only want to change one variable at a time so as you can judge your progress and see what is working. A lot of people try to do too much too fast and they end up losing LBM in the process.

What do I do now? I need some serious advice. Should I continue trying to get big, or lose the fat first? Then try to get big? Lost, confused, crying, hungry

I would recommend re-thinking your current diet and training program. As far as cutting or bulking that is up to you. You are the one that has to determine your goals. Are you trying to lose some bf for summer? If so you have to take into account that you will get smaller but will probably have more muscle showing.

No not really unless you were not getting enough protein in your diet to begin with.

If you want you can post your diet and training and I am sure you will get some good opinions on it. I am sure it is not as bad as you think. Most people are their own worst critic:)

Ferry Costen
05-28-2003, 06:25 AM
Here's my diet guys
I usually eat 6 or 7 meals a day (not huge ones)

Breakfeast 2 eggs, glass of milk. Or cereal to replace milk

Mid-morning protein bar

lunch - tuna sandwich, or steak sandwich with water

afternoon-protein shake or another protein bar

dinner-usually some form of beef with rice or poultry with rice

before bed-peanut butter and banana with milk

I'm 6'2/196lbs as of 5/20/03 Blood pressure is 130/90, trying to lose the weight in the gut. I haven't really lost any strength. But I feel scronny . I've also stared HIIT

Workout I usually do 6 days a week. My body seems to respond better to this rather than the WBB 1 recommendations.

GhettoSmurf
05-28-2003, 07:44 AM
well you sayyou still have the same strength, so i doubt your losing much muscle.

only thing i'd change on the diet, is before bed drop the banana, and have some cottage cheese with the PB instead.

also, maybe a few more EFA's wouldnt hurt.

lilpenis
05-28-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
well you sayyou still have the same strength, so i doubt your losing much muscle.

only thing i'd change on the diet, is before bed drop the banana, and have some cottage cheese with the PB instead.

also, maybe a few more EFA's wouldnt hurt.
Ghettosmurf, what are EFAs?

bradley
05-28-2003, 10:34 AM
For breakfast I would probably drop the milk and substitute oats or some type of whole grain cereal.

I agree with GS in that you should add in some more EFA's in your diet. Maybe throw in a piece of salmon or some other type of oily fish or supplement with fish oil.

Maybe switch the milk for cottage cheese in your last meal.

Since you are training 6 days a week I would make sure that you are not dropping weight too fast. Shoot for approximately one pound per week and increase cals if you notice that you are losing weight at a faster rate. I think this will help in making sure that you are losing fat and not LBM.

bryancore
05-28-2003, 10:39 AM
EFA - Essencial Fatty Acids

GhettoSmurf
05-28-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by bryancore
EFA - Essencial Fatty Acids

^^ what bryan said ;)

GhettoSmurf
05-28-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by lilpenis

Ghettosmurf, what are EFAs?

some examples of EFA's are fish oils, flaxseed oil, etc.