PDA

View Full Version : Evolution's Journal

evolution8
05-28-2003, 12:42 AM
I briefly worked out last year for two months and went from 120 to 130ish after two months. Started out lifting the bar and went up to my body weight. Starting seeing results after three weeks. Sadly, because of school and other issues I slacked off and lost all that I gained.

Starting this week with a new routine hopefully. Looking to purchase a home gym tomorrow. No more gym memberships. More efficient to work out at home. :D

Currently 5'9 and 120. Way too underweight. I'm 22. I hope to gain more mass so I am eating like crazy all day. Reading forums at night to learn more. :D

quest4muscle
05-28-2003, 02:05 AM
dude get a gym membership. I would bet that you would make greater gains in a gym. Plus what are you going to do when you need a spot in a home gym? Go for the gym membership. Efficiency should not be more important than building muscle. Just do what you got to do to get to the gym.

GhettoSmurf
05-28-2003, 05:12 AM
I agree, gym memberships would be a much better route. home gyms just dont give you near as much freedom/availiable exercises unless you plan on spening loads of money for weights, a power rack, etc.

Saint Patrick
05-29-2003, 01:46 AM
Good luck w/ your goals.

aka23
05-29-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by evolution8
Starting this week with a new routine hopefully. Looking to purchase a home gym tomorrow. No more gym memberships. More efficient to work out at home.

I workout at home on weekdays, and go to the gym on weekends for exercises that I cannot do at home. I have a dumbell set, a barbell set, two benches (one doubles as squat rack and has leg attachment), a doorway chin up bar, and an exercise bike. This allows me to do nearly all of the my usual exercises at home. My gym membership is only $12/month. I get more than $12 benefit during my weekend workouts.

Some of the benefits of working out at home are:
-- No travel time to the gym, easy access to foods & shower
-- Do not need to wait in line for equipment
-- A home gym never closes
-- Can get exactly the equipment you want
-- Can wear your choice in clothing, barefeet, etc. Do not need to wash up
-- Can make grunting noises or do unusual exercise without fear of embarassment
-- Can listen to your choice of music, or look at your choice of TV
-- Do not have to pay monthly dues

Some of the negative aspects of working out at home are:
-- Less equipment and poorer quality equipment. A home gym may not have adequate equitment for lats, hamstrings, triceps, flyes, cardio, swimming, body fat testing, etc. It is also good to vary your workout routine every now and then
-- It is inconvenient to adjust bench/rack and weights every time you want to switch exercises.
-- Spotters/trainers or other help may not be avaliable in case of injury or other assistance
-- Fewer opportunities for meeting others or singles
-- Someone may knock on door or call you in middle of workout
-- High initial cost for equipment
-- Equipment takes up a lot of space and is incovenient to move around

Good luck with your goals.

evolution8
09-24-2003, 03:09 PM
Okay, back from a LONG summer break overseas.

Finally got the gym along with olympic set of weights n'stuff. Still at 5'9" and weighing in at 120. My goal is to get 140 by May so I have seven months to gain 20 pounds.

Dedicated
09-24-2003, 03:11 PM
Right on man, looking forward to seeing some workouts.

ericg
09-24-2003, 03:53 PM
lets see some workouts man!!

good luck with your goals

midee1
09-24-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
I agree, gym memberships would be a much better route. home gyms just dont give you near as much freedom/availiable exercises unless you plan on spening loads of money for weights, a power rack, etc.

:withstupi

good luck and BTW :spam:

evolution8
09-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Day one down. Starting very slowly: :) Hopefilly the rest of my weights will be in then I can do a bit more. Think i'll give HIIT a try later on.

Also, got a jug of Creatine mix and two jugs of Protein mix but I think i'll forget the Creatine.

Goals of the week:
Establish routine, cut down smoking, no more alcohol

Monthly Goal:
Quit smoking

[WED]
Chest:
Flat Bench Press: 85 x 8 reps x 3
Decline Bench Press: 85 x 8 reps x 3
Incline Bench Press: 85 x 8 reps x 3
Shoulders:
Barbell Military Press: 75 x 5 x 2
Barbell Behind Neck Press: 75 x 4 x 2

[THUR]
Abs:
Crunches: 25 x 3 reps
Back:
Shrugs: ?? x ?
Dumbbell Bent-over Row: ?? x ?
Cardio:
Treadmill

[FRI]
Rest/Hockey

volcamp
09-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Evo...Welcome and good luck. Just an observation of your W/O. You may want to throw out a portion of the pressing movements and insert some flys. Don't remember if you have dumbells yet or not. If not, maybe some pullovers. Wish I had you problem about needing to eat as much as I can. Keep workin' out and screw the bodyfat. I'd go get a Wendy's triple if I were you. Later.:p

evolution8
10-18-2003, 01:22 PM
I just had another big setback. Just got over a bout with pneumonia, worst illness i've ever had in my life. That took care of the smoking.

Should be okay to work out again on Monday after being off almost three weeks. :(