PDA

View Full Version : Tough Schedule to eat around....high calorie/protein foods?

SwoleCoon27
05-28-2003, 03:57 PM
I'm sure i'm not the only one who has this problem, so don't anyone out there think that i'm complaining, i'm simply looking for suggestions. I'm good for the morning when I wakeup with my shake(2 scoops whey, 2 scoops oats, milk, pb). But after that, I don't really get a chance to eat, here's how. I work construction from 6-6 everyday with a 20 minute lunch break, that's right, and we don't have time to go out to eat. So I have my 5:15 am meal, then I don't get a chance to eat until 11. That's 2 meals tops. Right after work I go to workout and I don't want to have a high calorie meal because my workouts are very heavy. I lift from 7-9 with heavy running in there, and by time I get home at 9:30 I eat and then it's bedtime. Is there any possible way for me to still get 3000+ calories in this hectic day? If so, what the heck should I eat! Thanks in advance

P.S. Ghettosmurf and Ironman make sure you respond to this one in addition to others please!

bryancore
05-28-2003, 04:27 PM
How about MRP shakes?

SwoleCoon27
05-28-2003, 04:32 PM
Bryan.....kinda expensive....but lets say I cough up the money... is myoplex my best bet?

raniali
05-28-2003, 04:34 PM
i would probably pack up on "pocket foods" -- like protein/energy bars or beef jerky -- where i could grab a bite while working.

it might not be a bad idea to have a pre-w/o drink between leaving the job and starting your training. the only other way you are going to get 3000 cals a day is if each of your meals averages 1,000 cals.

GhettoSmurf
05-28-2003, 07:30 PM
protein bars are good. same with the beef jerky that was suggested.

i dont know how hot it gets while you work, or if you can be near a cooler.

but what i do, is i make 2 or 3 of the MRP's (whey, oatmeal, milk(or)water, PB) and then i keep them in a cooler that i bring to school.

then when i feel its time to eat, i unzip my backpack, unzip te cooler, and take out one of the MRP's and drink :) (this is all done in-class) ;)

let me know if somthing like that would work

SwoleCoon27
05-28-2003, 07:35 PM
Thanks ghetto.....will try it out

bradley
05-29-2003, 02:41 AM
Some type of nut would be a calorie dense food to take with you, and you could also make up some sandwiches the night before. Most people can have a sandwich down the hatch in a matter of minutes;)

captnjosh
05-29-2003, 12:11 PM
Where do you work? If you're working 12 hours and only get one 20 min break maybe you should call the labor board or join a union.

raniali
05-29-2003, 12:20 PM
he works construction - he most likely is in a union

ChuckieT
05-29-2003, 12:22 PM
Peanut/Almond butter would work really well. Just toss it in a cooler and you're good to go. Eat it straight out of the jar. :D

captnjosh
05-29-2003, 08:21 PM
I know he works construction, so do I. My union would take definate action if I was working 12 hours with only a 20 min break.

SwoleCoon27
05-29-2003, 10:20 PM
Union......I'm not gonna complain with my wages :)

heathj
05-29-2003, 10:39 PM
One reason why you have the high wages, and one more reason to complain. They won't fire you for that. It's your right.

GhettoSmurf
05-30-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by ChuckieT
Peanut/Almond butter would work really well. Just toss it in a cooler and you're good to go. Eat it straight out of the jar. :D

yeah, but the problem with having JUST peanut butter is that it isnt really that GREAT of a source of protein. i mean, yes, it has protein, but not a whole lot of it. which is why i use PB as more of a source of fat, then for a source of protein/.

BobbyRS
05-30-2003, 06:43 AM
PBJ sandwiches
Turkey, Ham, Cheese sandwiches
Tuna sandwiches or just Tuna
Hard Boiled Eggs
Protein Bars
Cottage Cheese in a Tupperware Bowl
Fruit (Grapefruit, Apples, Oranges, Bananas, Grapes, etc.)
Nuts (Almonds, Pistachios, Cashews, Macadamias, Pecans, etc.)

These are a few I use.