PDA

View Full Version : lose fat while maintaining muscle..myth?

Gettingthere
05-29-2003, 12:38 AM
Honestly, is losing fat while maintaing muscle a myth....(without ephedra use) I am happy with every part of my body except the lower part of my stomach......yeah you guys know what im talking about....the slight...fat tire thing going on.

My request: Can someone recommend a good diet plan to go on that will help me out....im 6'1 180 lbs.

I can lose weight easily....but I also lose muscle. I can gain muscle easily...but not without gaining fat. Quite the predicement.

Ive heard gluatamine supplements can help maintain muscle...any truth to this? Any other hints or tips would be helpful..thankyou all :rolleyes:

Saint Patrick
05-29-2003, 02:33 AM
Don't reduce calories too quickly, don't eat too far below maintenance, keep lifting heavy ass weights and eat plenty of protein.

Helpful supplements would include Glutamine and BCAA's (Amino Acids)

Expect to lose some muscle, but if you're sensible about it, you should be losing much more fat than muscle.

Gettingthere
05-29-2003, 04:00 AM
thanks man, I need to become much more strict with my diet plan then....and I thought i was strict!! :rolleyes:

noraa
05-29-2003, 04:00 AM
There is small amount of lean body mass that is lost during dieting, but this is the stuff associated with the adipose tissue

When you get really lean, you dont have much choice about losing some muscle when dieting.

ftotti10
05-29-2003, 08:23 AM
Try doing intense cardio for 20 minutes 4 times weekly.

Make sure that you have taken in a sufficent amount of carbs beforehand. 20 minutes at high intensity is recommended for three reasons
1. It doesn't allow you to pace yourself i.e. You have to give it hell for the full 20 mins and last the 20 mins
2. Limiting it to 20 mins ensures that you do not start using your muscles in any way for fuel during the session. All of the glucose\glycogen is gotten from carbs, thus preventing any muscle loss.
3. At such intensity you are severely challenging core bodily functions which ultimately raises yuor bodys resting metabolism rate. This means you will be burning more calories while you rest.

Add this to a well structured weights programme and balanced diet and you should be well on the way to gaining muscle and losing fat simultaneously

SoulOfKoRea
05-29-2003, 09:02 AM
I suggest HIIT, targets fat.

GhettoSmurf
05-29-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Gettingthere
thanks man, I need to become much more strict with my diet plan then....and I thought i was strict!! :rolleyes:

if you post your diet, maybe we can give you some tips :)

bradley
05-29-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by ftotti10
Try doing intense cardio for 20 minutes 4 times weekly.

I am not disputing the fact that HIIT a good form of exercise, but 4 times a week could interfere with recovery. For example if you are performing three days of weight training and then four days of HIIT cardio then that could lead to overtraining. Especially if you are training your legs on one of the days that you are weight training (which I would hope everyone does).

I would recommend slowly adding in HIIT training and making sure that you allow time for recovery. A combination of HIIT and moderate intensity cardio would be better IMO if you are going to perform cardio 4 days a week.

Relentless
05-29-2003, 03:28 PM
the ketogenic diets are supposed to help you lose fat while sparing muscle

I can't speak for others, but according to my measurements, out of the 30 lbs I've dropped over the last 10 weeks or so, 7lbs has been muscle and 23 lbs has been fat. Not a bad ratio.