PDA

View Full Version : Not dropping weight~!!

Bam Bam
05-30-2003, 09:06 AM
Ok here is my diet and my problem i am not losing weight

morning glass of milk 60 grams of protein

mid morning can of tuna in light miracle whip

lunch steak or chicken

mid afternoon shake with water

snack nuts mostly almonds

post workout 50 grams of malto and 40 of whey

omelletes with 7 whites one whole and some egg beater to make it more yellow

protein shake

60 grams of cassinate

this is my typical days diet maybe switched at some point

problem is i am not losing weight i have been doing cardio for 30 mins most days now but weight is not coming off

Relentless
05-30-2003, 09:14 AM
i know it's *really* obvious but why not reduce your portions a bit?

I haven't totalled it up but it looks like a fair # of calories you have there...

maybe go for more fats (esp good fats) and much less carbs?

drew
05-30-2003, 09:16 AM
You're not taking in any carbs to burn. You need some carbs, an all-protein diet won't contribute to weight loss. I try to take in at least 30% carbs every day. Assuming I'll do 30-60 mins of cardio.

I've dropped from 185 to 168 in the last 3 months, all fat loss.

pinoy
05-30-2003, 09:18 AM
morning glass of milk has 60g protein? that would add up to 6 servings of milk, which is about 84g carbs too. i would definitely cut that down

pinoy
05-30-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by drew
You're not taking in any carbs to burn. You need some carbs, an all-protein diet won't contribute to weight loss.

what?!?! i guess you haven't heard of atkins or the ckd.

drew
05-30-2003, 09:23 AM
Atkins is fine, if you go by the book. Most people don't even read the book and figure that atkins is zero carbs and 100% protein. Not the case.

Also, I physically can't have excessive amounts of protein, as I have kidney stones.

I try to get the majority of my carbs a bit before my cardio (unless I'm doing cardio first thing in the morning).

GhettoSmurf
05-30-2003, 09:38 AM
You're not taking in any carbs to burn. You need some carbs, an all-protein diet won't contribute to weight loss.

carbs dont contribute to weight loss either. its all about calories-in vs. calories-out.

i guess IMO you should just try reducing some of the calories in your meals Bam Bam, like callahan suggested.

Bam Bam
05-30-2003, 09:55 AM
thanks guys

clarification the milk is one glass i put an extra 60 grams of whey in it

i will try to play with the diet a bit and see what happens either upping carbs for metabolism purposes or cutting them back

TheGimp
05-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Do 60 mins of cardio ;)

bradley
05-30-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Bam Bam
thanks guys

clarification the milk is one glass i put an extra 60 grams of whey in it

i will try to play with the diet a bit and see what happens either upping carbs for metabolism purposes or cutting them back

I agree in that you probably just need to cut down on overall calories a bit. You are obviously getting in plenty of protein and could stand to cut that down IMO. You really on need 1g per lb. of bw, and you could add in some EFA's.

The carbs are not a necessity and will not really get any metabolic benefits by increasing your carb intake.

BUFF STUFF
05-30-2003, 06:32 PM
why noy supplement with some ECA

bradley
05-31-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by BUFF STUFF
why noy supplement with some ECA

I would hold off on the ECA until the diet is worked out. Getting a good structured diet and training program that is working and then adding in an ECA would be a better approach IMO. You would probably also see better results with the ECA supplementation as well.

Bam Bam
06-01-2003, 10:11 AM
thanks bradley your always a help

i will try to cut down milk but 1 glass a day isnt too bad right :(

the only other big carbs i get is malto after workout

i will try to limit the nuts as i eat them like a kid eats candy and i do take udos at night that along with my almonds and cashews should be enough efas right?

bryancore
06-01-2003, 10:29 AM

Also, I physically can't have excessive amounts of protein, as I have kidney stones.

There was a nutritionist that came to a local health food store, and she flushed out her kidney stones with Apple Cidar Vinegar. Just food for thought.

bradley
06-01-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Bam Bam
i will try to cut down milk but 1 glass a day isnt too bad right :(

the only other big carbs i get is malto after workout

i will try to limit the nuts as i eat them like a kid eats candy and i do take udos at night that along with my almonds and cashews should be enough efas right?

Yeah the one glass of milk will be fine, and it sounds like you are getting in enough EFAs. When finish the bottle of Udo's I would recommend going with a fish oil supplement because omega 3 fatty acids are generally the only ones that you need to supplement with. Most people get plenty of omega 6 fatty acids in their diet.

drew
06-02-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by bryancore

There was a nutritionist that came to a local health food store, and she flushed out her kidney stones with Apple Cidar Vinegar. Just food for thought.
Yeah, I've heard this works well. I'm going to ask my urologist (this week) before I try it though. If you've ever had stones, you'd try anything if it would prevent them from recurring.

bradley
06-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Atkins is fine, if you go by the book. Most people don't even read the book and figure that atkins is zero carbs and 100% protein. Not the case.

I try to get the majority of my carbs a bit before my cardio (unless I'm doing cardio first thing in the morning).

As far as protein intake on a ketogenic diet .8g per pound of bodyweight would be fine and is recommend by Lyle McDonald in his book "The Ketogenic Diet." This is approximately the same recommended amount that is made to most strength training athletes following a more balanced diet.

Ferdo
06-03-2003, 10:25 AM
There is no need to do cardio to lose weight!!!!. Cardio is good if you want to improve your cardiovascualr system, I would reccomend this( good for your heart and health in general) but weight loss can be achieved without cardio. Its what Ghetto was saying, its simple as you have to burn more calories then you take in. Thats the easy part. The hard part is you have to take in enough calories so you are only burning 1 -2 pounds a week. A mild caloric deficit. Probably want to start off at 200 calories less then your required daily intake. Then if you not loosing go down another 200. For the milk for breakfast I have 2-3 cups. Look around I have gotten a milk that is 11 grams protein 8 grams carbs. 265 calories 3 cups adds up to 33 grams protein and 24 grams carbs. Then I throw in an EFA. EFAs have really helped me since people on this board have told me about them.

Ferdo
06-03-2003, 10:29 AM
Im not sure if you know but the one to 2 pound only loss per week is because more would be muscle. Also, dont worry about weight, I actually like going on the scale and seeing my weight stay the same, yet my pants are looser and shirts fit better. Muscle takes up less space then fat.