PDA

View Full Version : Another Keto Question.

bryancore
05-30-2003, 10:19 AM
Okay, so i've been staying below 20g of carbs a day to be in ketosis, but then I read this...
To be in ketosis you need maximum of 50-100g of carbs per day. And you do not go in ketosis on the first day you cut your carb intake to near 0. What makes you think you will get out of ketosis in a day? Ketosis happens in a period of time, not instantly.
Im Confused.:confused:

GhettoSmurf
05-30-2003, 10:40 AM
it basically says you should eat a MAXIMUM of 50-100 carbs to be in ketosis. that basically is saying "if you eat more then 50-100 carbs you will be kicked out of ketosis."

staying under 20 grams is totally good. the lower the amount of carbs the better.

and the 2nd part of it basically says "dont expect to get into ketosis by simply lowering your cabrs under 20 grams in one day. it may take a couple or even more days for your body to react to the low carbs, and go into keto.

bryancore
05-30-2003, 11:12 AM
Gotcha.

raniali
05-30-2003, 11:18 AM
i keep seeing comments like this about keto - but i want to know how many people can actually consume 50-100g of carbs and remain in keto!? and i am not talking ONLY before a workout.

i hovered between 20-30g daily myself. and the longer i dieted, the easier it was to return to keto after a carb up.

bradley
05-30-2003, 02:15 PM
A ketogenic diet is defined as any diet in which you are consuming <100g of carbs per day. Just because you are consuming <100g of carbs does not necessarily mean that you are in ketosis.

raniali
05-30-2003, 02:19 PM
seems like a misnomer to me then.

Relentless
05-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by raniali
i keep seeing comments like this about keto - but i want to know how many people can actually consume 50-100g of carbs and remain in keto!? and i am not talking ONLY before a workout.

i hovered between 20-30g daily myself. and the longer i dieted, the easier it was to return to keto after a carb up.

well, the 100g is based on the brain's needs, yeah?

maybe some peoples' brains consume more

:D

I have found that the longer I've been on a keto diet, the less carbs I have to consume to stay in ketosis (as evidenced by my keto stix) but especially in the beginning phases I was able to be ketogenic with much more 100g easily

all that said, these days I try to hover around 40-50 (occasionally with an extra 30g on a workout day, preworkout, if I feel I need the energy boost... basically I'm doing a modified SKD/TKD hybrid

I test for ketones in the evenings and even on days I have the extra carbs I still show at least slight ketosis... days that I don't, I tend to move into 'deeper' keto (i.e. greater ketone body concentration in urine)

noraa
05-30-2003, 10:18 PM
Keto stix are worthless for measuring the depth of ketosis.

During the adaption to ketosis, the kidneys start to reabsorb ketones, so that the actual level excreted is relatively controlled. It doesnt match the blood levels perfectly and also relates to the amount of water consumed.
Blood and breath seem to be the best method of measuring ketosis