PDA

View Full Version : My current diet, please advise/critique

drew
05-30-2003, 02:08 PM
Bearing in mind that I have high cholesterol and kidney stones, this is my typical diet. I'm also attempting to lose about 15 lbs of fat while gaining muscle. Please advise.

Breakfast: 1 bowl of Oatmeal

Lunch: Salad + Turkey/chicken/tuna

Dinner: Steak/chicken/ or pork. Blanched or grilled vegetables and rice (occasional potatoes). Occasional pasta with meat sauce.

Post-workout: Peanut butter with banana or other fruit.

I drink water almost strictly. Lactose intolerant, so I can't drink a lot of milk. I drink alcohol once or twice a week, but not a lot (not as much as I once did, good Lord). And Cranberry/apple/orange juice otherwise.

Right now I'm seeing my weight decrease and my strength and muscle mass increase.

Any suggestions are welcome.

raniali
05-30-2003, 02:24 PM
more efa's
it doesn't seem like a lot of overall total cals to me

you just posted in another thread you were losing wt - so why are you posting for help on a diet that is working for you?

drew
05-30-2003, 02:40 PM
Yes, I'm losing wt. But if there is something i can do to lose it more efficiently, I'm open to suggestions.

steveo
05-30-2003, 03:35 PM
EFA will help loose fat. You need your healty fats in order to loose that bad fat. I would add some protein and fat to your breakfast. Some Carbs and fat(flax seed, fish oil) to your lunch as well. You should add at least two more meals maybe like a protein shake+ banana(fruit) between each meal or just a quick protein+crab snack.
For better nutrient absortion I would go with shake after your work out.
Frequent feeding help raise your motabolism

GhettoSmurf
05-30-2003, 05:27 PM
i wouldnt have the PB and banana post-workout. try to get some whey protein, and a high GI carb like dextrose or maltodextrine

pinoy
05-30-2003, 05:31 PM
you aren't eating enough, that's like >1000 cals.

drew
05-30-2003, 08:56 PM
OK. Thanks for the suggestions. Have plenty of whey protein in the house. I'm just trying to make sure I do this right from the beginning and don't screw myself up.

Berserker
05-30-2003, 09:42 PM
Your only getting about 5gm of protein for breakfast. I know your restricted buts not much.

drew
05-31-2003, 12:35 PM
OK, so I should be getting more protein at breakfast? I Have to have the oatmeal, for my cholesterol. But this morning I added about 15g of whey protein to it. Is this enough? Should I get more?

bradley
05-31-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by drew
OK, so I should be getting more protein at breakfast? I Have to have the oatmeal, for my cholesterol. But this morning I added about 15g of whey protein to it. Is this enough? Should I get more?

That should be fine, but you also need to make sure that you are getting adequate amounts over the course of the day. Somewhere between .8-1g per lb. of bw should be enough, and also like it was mentioned previously you need to increase your EFA intake. You could look into a fish oil supplement or add some oily fish to your diet.

bradley
05-31-2003, 01:49 PM
How much do you weigh, just out of curiosity?

drew
05-31-2003, 04:52 PM
I'm currently at 165.

I picked up some Flaxseed oil and some CLA. Good idea?

I also try to eat a large fish meal at least once a week. Either tuna, salmon or cod. Anything else I should go for?

bradley
05-31-2003, 05:11 PM
I picked up some Flaxseed oil and some CLA. Good idea?

I also try to eat a large fish meal at least once a week. Either tuna, salmon or cod. Anything else I should go for?

Yeah the flaxseed oil is good, but I do think as far as omega 3 fats go fish oil is a better supplement.

I have never used CLA but from what I have read it is not really economical to use it because the effective dosage is so high.

The reason that I asked how much you weigh is because I was wondering about you current calorie level. Just make sure that you are not losing the weight to fast. I would shoot for about a pound a week loss.

drew
05-31-2003, 05:20 PM
I try to get at least 2000 cals a day. I've been losing closer to 2 pounds a week.

Today's intake

2 pcks instant Oatmeal with whey protein. OJ, Milk

PB (about 2-3 Tbls) on one slice of bread

Protein/fruit shake post-workout.

PB (again, same) A handfull of raw cherry tomatoes. Some applesauce.

Next meal is planned to be a can of tuna, probably with some raw brocolli.

Also about a gallon of water (this is daily)

More than this?

GhettoSmurf
05-31-2003, 08:09 PM
is the oatmeal regualr oatmeal? or is it that flavored crap? also, is it natural peanut butter?

drew
05-31-2003, 10:13 PM
It's the flavored crap, and no, it's not natural PB. I haven't had an opportunity to get any.

bradley
06-01-2003, 04:51 AM
I try to get at least 2000 cals a day. I've been losing closer to 2 pounds a week.

Today's intake

2 pcks instant Oatmeal with whey protein. OJ, Milk
***I would switch over to non-flavored oatmeal and probably get rid of the milk and OJ. If you need more cals then eat some more oatmeal. You could also eat an orange which would be better than the OJ IMO.

PB (about 2-3 Tbls) on one slice of bread
***Might decrease the amount of pb and add in some protein.

Protein/fruit shake post-workout.
***This is much better than the banana and pb post workout but I would go with some dextrose/malto and maybe a little fruit if you wanted.

PB (again, same) A handfull of raw cherry tomatoes. Some applesauce.
***Maybe add some protein and I would go with an apple instead of the applesauce.

Next meal is planned to be a can of tuna, probably with some raw brocolli.
***You could add in some of that flax you purchased with this meal:)

More than this?

If you notice you are losing the weight too fast then I would bump up the cals a bit. If you have a high bf% the you can probably get away with dropping more than a pound a week without sacrificing muscle, but if you start to notice significant strength losses then I would bump up the cals a bit.

drew
06-02-2003, 08:09 AM
I haven't had my bf% checked, and I don't want to guess other than I think it's high. I haven't noticed any strength loss, I've actually been adding a few pounds to my bench each week, trying for about 5lbs a week. So far, so good. And planning to start WBB routine 1 next week (when my schedule settles a bit.)

Thanks for all the help Bradley.