PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmmm.....moderate cut/maintancence diet questions...

golfbobbyhill
05-31-2003, 08:42 AM
Guys -

I'm just coming off 2-3 months of Keto-dieting and am struggling getting back into a "normal" cut/maintanence diet.

I'm 5'11, 200lbs, and still a bit chubby. What kind of calories should I shoot for everyday and what %s should be which maconutrients?

I hit the gym about 3 days a week but am pretty active the other days as well (golf, walking, etc).

Stryc-9
05-31-2003, 09:39 AM
Well your BMR is around 2400 calories - so that might be a good range to shoot for toward maintainence.

I never change ratios too much (whether cutting or bulking) I just drop/add calories as required....

So I'd say you're safe with a 40/30/30 split (protein/carbs/fat)...may have to play around with that though - depending on how you notice your body responding. A huge part of being successful with the diet is learning what your body can handle and what it can't, etc., Good luck to you! Just remember to stick with it.

GhettoSmurf
05-31-2003, 01:12 PM
how do you know what his BMR is???

just figure out how many caories your eating now (you can do that by using www.fitday.com or somthing, and then just sowly keep adding calories until your not gaining or losing weight.

Stryc-9
05-31-2003, 01:38 PM
BMR = body weight x 12 (or thereabouts - I know people disagree on this issue)....

He weighs 200lbs....therefore.....

But yes, admittedly, it's a general range. He'll most certainly need to experiment and adjust caloric intake as need be - but it gives him a ball-park range.

bradley
05-31-2003, 02:09 PM
You should know about how many cals you were taking in when performing the keto diet, so that would be the best place to start IMO. First you need to reintroduce carbs into your diet and remember that you should expect an initial weight gain with the reintroduction of carbs. Then I would just slowly add calories in small increments each week until you are maintaining your current weight or losing a little each week (depends on your goals).

As far as the ratios they are not really that important. Just make sure you are taking in adequate protein and EFA's. One gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight should be fine and approximately 25-30% of your daily calories from fat. The rest of your daily cals can come from low GI carbs. Like it was previously suggested, you should play around with the amount of fat and carbs in your diet. Some people like to have a higher intake of carbs while others prefer getting the majority of their cals from carbohydrates. Either is fine as long as the protein and EFA's are in your diet.