PDA

View Full Version : cutting back on junk, will i lose muscle?

aggablinky
05-31-2003, 11:17 PM
Hello, i`m just after a bit of advice concerning my diet.
I used to eat a lot of chocolate, and fatty foods, pastry, etc.
I have lost about 5lbs in the last week or so, just from not eating chocolate, but i`m wondering , will i lose muscle as well? If so, is it possible for me to regrow it through better, less fatty food?
I dont want to be overweight, but i also dont want to lose muscle, therefore wasting my efforts in the gymn.
I eat a lot of high-protein food, chicken, fish, etc, plus 2 protein shakes a day, so i`m hoping this may help me keep and perhaps gain some more muscles, along with my workouts.
Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou

drew
05-31-2003, 11:21 PM
No. Cutting out bad fats and carbs will only help. Keep eating healthy.

TiGeR AK
06-01-2003, 04:13 AM
lol... so do u feel that junk food is wut is allowing your body to produce muscle??

why would taking junk food out make your muscles shrink? probably help u a lot more than hurt u.

aggablinky
06-01-2003, 04:35 AM
Well, i never thought the junk would help me, it`s just that i always thought whatever fat you lost, no matter how it got there to start with, would also result in muscle loss as well, i always thought the 2 went hand in hand, but if i can gain muscle still, and lose the fat, then thats great

GhettoSmurf
06-01-2003, 06:52 AM
it sort of depends on how much junk food you were eating, and if you just cut it out of your diet completely,or if you replaced the junk food with better food.

bradley
06-01-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by aggablinky
Well, i never thought the junk would help me, it`s just that i always thought whatever fat you lost, no matter how it got there to start with, would also result in muscle loss as well, i always thought the 2 went hand in hand, but if i can gain muscle still, and lose the fat, then thats great

It is possible to retain muscle and lose bodyfat, but when cutting you should expect to lose a little muscle especially when you are trying to get rid of that last little bit of bf.

If the junk foods were making up a large part of your daily caloric intake then yes just cutting out the junk food could lead to muscle loss. I agree that cutting out the junk is definitely a step in the right direction but you don't want to cut calories too fast, which can lead to muscle loss. I would concentrate on replacing the junk food with more healthy foods and adjusting daily calorie intake until you are losing approximately 1lb. per week. If you are at a higher bf% then you could probably lose more than a pound a week without sacrificing LBM.

Berserker
06-01-2003, 10:55 AM
had to laugh at the title. Good job on getting rid of junk food. Keep it up and get a good diet going.
You may lose a little muscle when losing fat, but do you want to be fat?

aggablinky
06-02-2003, 05:27 AM
Hahahaa, yes, your right, the title does look a bit funny, but at least if grabbed you guy`s attention, for which i`m greatful :)
Do you think that, even though i may lose some muscles i may be able to start afresh, and regain them on a healthy, high protein diet? I just really badly want to stay slimmer, it seemed a waste to me, growing muscles, but having a podgy looking belly, it looked terrible sometimes!

bradley
06-02-2003, 06:43 AM
Do you think that, even though i may lose some muscles i may be able to start afresh, and regain them on a healthy, high protein diet? I just really badly want to stay slimmer, it seemed a waste to me, growing muscles, but having a podgy looking belly, it looked terrible sometimes!

When dieting you should strive to maintain as much muscle as possible. When you start back trying to gain you will want to add as much LBM with minimal fat gain.

So to answer your question, yes:)

aggablinky
06-03-2003, 06:38 AM
Thankyou verymuch for your help :)

Ferdo
06-03-2003, 11:13 AM
Unless your really overweight, I would replace the junk food with clean food or else you will probably loose weight, which may make you feel like you are loosing muscle, but it will probably be water, and fat. Alot of water. Depends on what you want. IF you want your body to look like. I would assume you want to be big so replace with clean foods.

aggablinky
06-04-2003, 05:13 AM
Another question i have, i always seem to lose strength when i lose weight, is there any way of overcoming that? I had a workout tonight, may have just been a bad one as i know does sometimes happen, but i`m worried part of the cause may have been caused by my dieting. Today , as an example of my diet, i had a protein shake at 6 am , some lo-fat yoghurt and 2 slices of toast at 9 am, half a chicken at 12 pm, another protein shake at 3 pm, now i`m having a postworkout feed of steak and potatoes.

GhettoSmurf
06-04-2003, 05:27 AM
Another question i have, i always seem to lose strength when i lose weight, is there any way of overcoming that? I had a workout tonight, may have just been a bad one as i know does sometimes happen, but i`m worried part of the cause may have been caused by my dieting. Today , as an example of my diet, i had a protein shake at 6 am , some lo-fat yoghurt and 2 slices of toast at 9 am, half a chicken at 12 pm, another protein shake at 3 pm, now i`m having a postworkout feed of steak and potatoes.

its very hard to lose weight and maintain/gain strength, unless you are a beginner and are carrying around quite a bit of extra fat IMO.

yes, you will probably lose a bit of muscle when losing weight (becuase you will be in a calorie deficiet), but if you lose weigt gradually ~1 pound a week, you should be able to preserve most of the muscle and keep your strngth relativly the same. ya never know, maybe it was just an off day in the gym :)

Ferdo
06-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Ya it happens, My bench went down to after i lost some weight. But think about it. I see really really fat guys benching over 200 pounds but they weigh 300, the more you weigh the more your going to beable to bench, just make sure you can bench your weight as a rule of thumb then go from there.

bradley
06-04-2003, 11:17 AM

You should expect to lose a little strength but if your strength is dropping rapidly then I would suggest taking a look at your diet and training program. Especially if you have just started dieting you should not be noticing strength losses.

As GS mentioned making sure that you are losing weight at a slow rate will help minimize LBM losses.

What does the meal before training look like? Are you taking in a postworkout shake of any sort, and if what is the macrobreakdown?

From the meals you have listed above it looks as though you are not taking in any fat, more specifically EFAs.

steveo
06-04-2003, 12:35 PM
snickers=muscle :tuttut:

Chicken Breast=muscle :thumbup: