PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Mixing milk + banana into PW shake?

Scott S
06-01-2003, 12:33 AM
Hey, I was reading a Gatorade bottle the other day, and had an idea: would it be beneficial to blend a banana and some skim milk into my protein shakes? This would supply extra calcium, protein, potassium and sodium during my workout. Would this be helpful in preventing CNS fatigue, or not really?

bryancore
06-01-2003, 03:06 AM
A lot of people do that, for both post carbs, and i guess the extra calcium and all that. Go for it.

AJ_11
06-01-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Scott S
Hey, I was reading a Gatorade bottle the other day, and had an idea: would it be beneficial to blend a banana and some skim milk into my protein shakes? This would supply extra calcium, protein, potassium and sodium during my workout. Would this be helpful in preventing CNS fatigue, or not really?

Not really. Just stick with some malto/ dextrose whey and water.

bradley
06-01-2003, 05:39 AM

The milk would slow the absorption of your shake which should contain some high GI carbs and an easily digestable protein (whey).

GhettoSmurf
06-01-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by AJ_11

Not really. Just stick with some malto/ dextrose whey and water.
:withstupi

Berserker
06-01-2003, 09:06 AM
How much does milk really slow things down? There was supposed to be a round table on this.

AJ_11
06-01-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Berserker
How much does milk really slow things down? There was supposed to be a round table on this.

From what I have read that caesin creates a jelly in your stomach, and could take as long as 4-6 hrs to breakdown. But I am sure that it added with whey, the whey would get broken down quicker but it will surely have an inpact.

bradley
06-01-2003, 11:18 AM
*looks for Maki*:)

Scott S
06-01-2003, 02:27 PM
Okay... my current shake mixes whey, dextrose, and maltodextrin in a 1:1:1 ratio. At my weight of 67 kg, that means roughly 33 grams of each.

I guess my real question is, how much does my performance depend on electolyte balance?

Thanks.

heathj
06-01-2003, 02:39 PM
Do whatever works for you :) If adding milk in your shakes still helps you gain muscle, go for it :p

bradley
06-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Okay... my current shake mixes whey, dextrose, and maltodextrin in a 1:1:1 ratio. At my weight of 67 kg, that means roughly 33 grams of each.

I guess my real question is, how much does my performance depend on electolyte balance?

Thanks.

The bodies primary electrolytes are sodium, potassium, chloride calcium, magnesium, bicarbonate, phosphate, and sulfate. These would not really have anything to do with the contents of your postworkout shake. When you sweat your body excretes mainly sodium and potassium and this is why you always hear ads that say their drinks can help restore lost electrolytes, which is due to the fact that they have added sodium and potassium chloride to the drink.

Although the postworkout shake described above sounds fine IMO.