PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting Coach in Toronto?

Relentless
06-03-2003, 09:23 AM
I was chatting with rookiebldr from here and we thought it would be really valuable to spend some time with an actual powerlifting coach to work on our form for core PL lifts.

Does anyone know of any legitimate/experienced/qualified PL coaches in the greater Toronto area that might be up for running a workshop or something

(we'd be happy to pay for such a thing, of course...)

ElPietro
06-03-2003, 09:25 AM
I can teach you ladies, but it won't come cheap. :evillaugh

Actually, if you find someone lemme know, I'd probably be interested in learning proper form, or fine tuning form for quite a few different movements.

Ja113
06-03-2003, 12:47 PM
Guys...check out this link...might get you headed in the right direction....

http://www.ontariopowerlifting.ca/clubs.html

Relentless
06-03-2003, 12:50 PM
thanks for the link, Ja113 - I posted a call for a coach on that site as well. :D

Ja113
06-03-2003, 12:54 PM
No worries...I trained with a few guys from the national team awhile back. They were really cool and didn't charge me anything. I think they were just impressed that I knew what a box squat was (they did Westside stuff) and after training only 2 months with these guys, my lifts really improved. If you can get a teacher...especially someone who has competed...then yeah...go for it!

ElPietro
06-03-2003, 01:06 PM
Hey I can out deadlift the guy that won the toronto open in the 110 kg weight class! :D

He can beat me in everything else though, unless I learned how to bench properly for plifting, and maybe used a shirt.

But the guy squatted more than he deadlifted, so that is out of my reach.

ElPietro
06-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Damn, mens senior 110kg class for dead is 325kg! I could challenge for the junior but the senior, that's 715 god damned pounds!

I noticed monster gym is on the list of clubs, that's down the road, and I almost joined there but decided to renew at my club. It has always been considered one big gear pit, but I may have to check it out when my membership expires soon.

Relentless
06-03-2003, 01:12 PM
which one are you looking at, P?

ElPietro
06-03-2003, 01:15 PM
I was looking at the Toronto Open for 2002, which is the most recent. But then I looked at the records, which I believe are national, and also pretty damned high, as is to be expected.

Relentless
06-03-2003, 01:17 PM
yeah, i was looking at the "Mens Senior Modern Era" stuff for that class, and the dude pulled 325kg (700+lbs!!!)

ElPietro
06-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Yeah, lol that's what I was talking about in my post above. It's always fun, or *not* fun to compare yourself to the best ever in your country. Then again, I'm just some retard that goes in with nothing other than the clothes on my back, and picks up the bar according to what form I think is right, based on internet pictures and videos. I'm sure that with proper training, strategy, equipment, focus, that I could of course reach much further, but 715 is quite a damned bit of weight.

Oh well, I certainly won't be improving anytime soon cutting. I only started deadlifting last year and got 525 conventional stance. If I cut to 220 I'd drop a class and only need to pull 627 lbs. :D

Althought, that is high, my goal for the year was to pull close to 600, but of course, cutting has interrupted that for quite some time. I may never get there now. *shrug*

Ja113
06-03-2003, 01:40 PM
ElPietro...if it'll make you feel any better, the best DL I ever pulled was 375lbs and that was ugly at best. (at 160ish lbs)..

Have you guys ever thought of maybe doing an event...maybe not necessarily a full comp but like a dead or bench event. I heard that either the St. Thomas or London events were pretty good.

Adam
06-03-2003, 07:41 PM
I was going to tell you to ask people at powerlifting.ca but it looks like you already visited there:)
Harnek rai is supposed to be a excellant coach.

ElPietro
06-04-2003, 06:59 AM
Hey adam, where've you been man? Just lurking? Still competing boyo?

Adam
06-04-2003, 08:18 PM
Just been pretty busy lately with the usual school/work
I got to lift in a meet may 3 and it went over well despite my lack of training:)
I think Cam Hawkshaw might be in your area too. He's a 242 and around 22. You should see if you can train with him for a bit.

FortifiedIron
06-05-2003, 12:39 AM
check with Keith Hobman from www.deepsquatter.com

Kc

ElPietro
06-05-2003, 07:01 AM
I'll probably do that, just looked at my card, and my membership to my gym expires end of september. So maybe that will be around the time I start adding more calories to my diet. I don't know how good an idea cutting and starting powerlifting would be. The gym I have considered joining for years and years is part of that plifting association, so there should be some guys there. It's just down the road from me, about a 2 minute drive.

Relentless
06-05-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by ElPietro
The gym I have considered joining for years and years is part of that plifting association, so there should be some guys there. It's just down the road from me, about a 2 minute drive.

that WOULD make more sense than driving across the city to lift :D

ElPietro
06-05-2003, 09:03 AM
Well unless I train on the weekend I don't. Right now, everything I do is geared in or around Scarborough. Since I finish work at 5pm, and that means rush hour traffic, I can just go across the street and workout, and when I'm done I have a pretty clear drive home.

I don't think anything angers me more than waiting in traffic. Right now things are good since I don't have any training on the weekends, I may be changing martial arts clubs, to one I visited long ago. They have a good BJJ program, and also have about 10 instructors, all specializing in different arts, so I can train BJJ, maybe some muay thai, and they still have wrestling, vale tudo, and khali which I may be interested in. So lots of options, plus a general conditioning class. It is a cool place, and they have some good guys that compete there as well. That place is in mississauga though, so can go there on weekends if I wish.

Relentless
06-05-2003, 09:09 AM
oh thats right

I forgot you work in that area

ElPietro
06-05-2003, 09:11 AM
Yeah, my office is on the other side of the intersection of where we went. Thai boxing is further east though, on progress, by scarborough town centre.

Relentless
06-05-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Adam MacKinnon
Just been pretty busy lately with the usual school/work
I got to lift in a meet may 3 and it went over well despite my lack of training:)
I think Cam Hawkshaw might be in your area too. He's a 242 and around 22. You should see if you can train with him for a bit.

any advice on how to reach this Hawkshaw fella, Adam?

Adam
06-05-2003, 07:58 PM
I'll PM ya his email.

Relentless
06-06-2003, 07:09 AM
hey -- I spoke to Bill Jamison this morning

he has a gym at his farm out in Caledonia (out towards Brantford) and will occasionally run Sunday-morning PL clinics/sessions out there. He's getting back to me in the next few days with a weekend in June that'd be good for this.

I smell a road trip. Rookie, ElP... you guys hyped for this? :D

I also spoke briefly with Harnek Rai and will follow up with him a little later today, and I'll see what he's available for. I don't see any reason not to maybe look at a training session with both Bill and Harnek, get two different views/approaches/critiques.

ElPietro
06-06-2003, 07:13 AM
I would be very interested in a clinic. That is more along the lines of what I was looking for, since I don't really want a training partner, just someone to help me along with form issues.

Although, IceR felt my form on powercleans was pretty good, and I would consider her very apt at judgements of this kind, considering her current regime and education regarding this lift. But I'm sure it can be much improved upon, along with my dead, and nobodies really ever seen my squat so that would be cool.

Relentless
06-06-2003, 06:21 PM
Jeff, Peter.

Harnek is up for a training session next Friday, 645pm or so in Etobicoke. You guys up for it?

Mik
06-06-2003, 06:23 PM
Man, I wish I was in TO. I'd love to learn the lifts! :cry:

Relentless
06-06-2003, 06:24 PM
Mik, PM me with your city/location

I have now acquired a wealth of information about PL coaches and may be able to hook you up

Relentless
06-08-2003, 06:38 PM
bumpitty bump

rookie? ElP? hellooooo?

ElPietro
07-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Hey are you and Jeff still thinking of going to Bill's on the 20th?

I met him, sorta, at the meet last weekend. I spoke with him just on some issues with the drug testing form, but wasn't really introduced.

I don't think I'm going to be able to make it though, since I think it might be another cottage weekend next weekend too. Unless the clinic is late afternoon I'll have to pass. I know Harnek was going to go with me, and mentioned it to me before I brought it up.

I'll find out what time, or let me know if you are aware of when it starts.

I don't mind keeping my strengths and weaknesses a secret for some time more. I'd rather be the fairly big mystery guy that knows Harnek and helped at the meet, than some guy with bad form and sissy lifts. :p

Bills son Jesse Jamison also competes, and did fairly well at the competition, he was in a light weight class though. Bill is a very thin man as well, I'm guessing he probably competed in the 67.5 kg class.

Relentless
07-10-2003, 12:38 PM
it's planned for Sunday morning

Relentless
07-10-2003, 12:39 PM
oh, and if harnek wants to come along with Jeff, myself, and my buddy Daniel, he's more than welcome to do so... please pass this invite along to him

ElPietro
07-10-2003, 12:47 PM
I'm not sure if he was going to help out or not, or if he was only gonna go if I went. I doubt he needs to go to a clinic to work on his form. :p

Hopefully Bill will do more of these in the near future, but as of now it looks like I'm out for that sunday.

ElPietro
07-10-2003, 12:48 PM
Are you thinking of starting to train in plifting and doing a comp sometime? Not sure if it's as beneficial to lift with plifting form if this is not a goal of yours. It wasn't for me originally, but kinda caught the fever and also gives a new twist on training, and renewed enthusiasm, but I WILL compete at some point, this I know.

Relentless
07-10-2003, 01:01 PM
as I mentioned to Harnek and before

my goal (right now) isn't to compete in Powerlifting

my goal is to improve the form on my PL lifts to ensure efficiency and to avoid injury. I want to lift smarter.

ElPietro
07-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Hey, I think I can come afterall. I'm pretty sure next weekends cottage trip is being postponed by one week.

So if you want we can figure out details next week, or I can just meet you there.

thetopdog
07-11-2003, 12:15 PM
I go to school in the US, but I'm from Toronto (Richmond Hill actually) and I'm there this summer. I would love to learn proper form on the squat and deadlift. I don't even deadlift right now because I have no idea how to do it properly, and I'm not sure my squats are being done with great form. If you guys are going I would love to come along

ElPietro
07-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Cool, I'd suggest either PMing Callahan, or waiting for him to respond. I don't have much in the way of details right now, other than it's July 20th, and in Caledon. So if you wanna come talk to him.

Adam
10-28-2004, 12:02 AM
Cal, did you ever get to meet up with bill or harnek?