PDA

View Full Version : Since cals in VS cals out is all that matters...

Behemoth
06-03-2003, 02:00 PM
When I bulk I take in a lot more sugar post workout than I do when cutting. About 80-100g when bulking and about 40g when cutting.

But since carbs are carbs, then wouldn't it be much much more beneficial to use the bulk of your set amount of carbs post workout?

ElPietro
06-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Pre and post is ideal. Preworkout will give you energy to complete the workout, post workout will replenish that energy and more importantly, help facilitate the uptake of protein to the muscle cells in need.

But sometimes when you bulk you just need more carbs everywhere to help keep your caloric totals high.

Just make sure you are getting enough protein, and EFAs then worry about carbs. They are a distant 3rd to the two materials actually responsible for growth within your body.

Behemoth
06-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Right, I got all of my diet down good.

I'm just wondering if I should up my 40g carbs post workout currently higher. Since it won't have any negative effects on fatloss, but hopefully some positive muscle sparing effect on muscle.

bradley
06-03-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Behemoth
But since carbs are carbs, then wouldn't it be much much more beneficial to use the bulk of your set amount of carbs post workout?

Unless you are trying to get rid of the last little bit of bf then yes it would be fine. Just remember to count the calories toward your daily total, and if you are still in a calorie deficit at the end of the day you will lose weight. Making sure that your body has plenty of carbs for glycogen replinishment will definitely be beneficial.

I think the amount of carbs used postworkout would be different depending on the length and intensity of the workout. You would need more carbs for glycogen replenishment after an intense leg workout compared to a shoulder/tricep workout.

I have also seen it recommended to keep your postworkout shake the same regardless if you are cutting or bulking. Instead of reducing the amount of cals in your postworkout shake reduce cals from other meals. Your body still needs those carbs for glycogen replenishment whether or not you are cutting or bulking.

ElPietro
06-03-2003, 02:14 PM
I think from most sources I've read, the ideal amount of carbs post workout, is somewhere between 50-75g. I'd just aim to hit around there and you'll be fine. Make sure you get maybe 30-50g of protein in there as well. Fat isn't critical and probably should be avoided directly after post workout though, so just take your EFAs at some other time.

GhettoSmurf
06-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro
I think from most sources I've read, the ideal amount of carbs post workout, is somewhere between 50-75g. I'd just aim to hit around there and you'll be fine. Make sure you get maybe 30-50g of protein in there as well. Fat isn't critical and probably should be avoided directly after post workout though, so just take your EFAs at some other time. :withstupi

ive heard recommendations of about a ratio of 1:3 protein:carb

so for an example you have 20g of protein post-workout, then you would want to aim for around 60g of carbs.

Behemoth
06-04-2003, 05:25 AM
I take in 44g protein after most of my workouts. That would put me at 132g of carbs, I don't think that many will even be utilized at once. I'll aim back to about 80g carbs.

GhettoSmurf
06-04-2003, 08:19 AM
i know, i was just saying what ive heard. w/e works for you, i'd just stick with that :)

Manveet
06-04-2003, 08:25 AM
I go 30 pre and post when bulking.

Scott S
06-04-2003, 08:37 PM
My ratio is 1:2 (protein to carbs)... you definitely want to make sure you're consuming enough carbs so that your body doesn't use any of the protein for energy.