M2 - 1 cup cheerios and dry strawberries with 1/2 lactose-free milk
M3 - 6oz steak and 1 medium potato
M4 - Cottage Cheese with fresh Pineapple
M5 - Halibut Filet (6oz) and 1 cup Zucchini, 2 tbsps brewers yeast

1571 cals
50g Fat
146g carbs
137g protein

and this is me eating a whole mess of food not really paying attention ot my strict eating rules.

any idea on how i can actually increase my cals so that i'm getting 2000 cals in?

i'm really not good at this eating thing. i think i'm doing good and eating at maintenance, or more, and it's no where near maintenance.

Scott S
06-03-2003, 03:21 PM
Now that I've added a diet section to my journal, I've noticed it hard to get enough calories too! I'm trying to bulk cleanly, so with all the fiber that comes along with the carbs, I keep getting really full. I think my metabolic setpoint must be high or something like that.

Today, I got so far behind that I just said "Screw it!" and got a large Pepsi. That was an easy 300 calories, but I don't want to think about how much of that fructose is floating around as triglycerides now... :rolleyes:

Tryska
06-03-2003, 03:22 PM
i know - i've been supplementing with milky way bars, and not feeling good abotu it. event hen that only gets me up to like 1800-ish cals. it's a pain int he arse.

as0l0
06-03-2003, 03:32 PM
a big glass of milk?
2 potato's rather than 1 + peas and beans?
add 1 piece of fuit to every meal?
eggs?

your not far off, you can do it.

SquareHead
06-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Sittin here laughing my bum off about supplementing w/ a milky way bar. That rocks. I supplemented with a chicken bacon ranch sandwich from checkers today.
T - your getting omega 3 there from the fish thinkin you could squeeze some flax in there and M1 like I usually have some ww bread with peanut butter if it's a low on time kind of issue.

raniali
06-03-2003, 04:10 PM
i prefer supplementing with peanut butter or almonds
add sourcream to the potatoe
eat the fish and veggies with some rice or pasta
i think you might also do well with adding more protein and healthy fats in general. maybe bring a MRP or protein bar to work.

Silverback
06-03-2003, 04:14 PM
its about making small changes over time so that you adapt to eating more.

A good one is milk as it doesnt really fill you up and having this with meals will give a positive boost too your diet, not to mention the calcium to aid bone strength :)

bradley
06-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
who knew it was so freakin hard to eat 2000 cals a day:

here is an example of this weeks menu -

M1 - coffee w/ half and half, one cup juice, 2tbsps brewers yeast

1571 cals
50g Fat
146g carbs
137g protein

What about adding in more food at meal 1, snacking on nuts between meals, adding a tablespoon or two of oil (olive/flax/fish, etc). Maybe add some more carbs to meal 5, or if you have time add in a 6th meal.

SoulOfKoRea
06-03-2003, 05:14 PM
more good fats since they are more dense calorie wise(9 p/g), spread some natty pnut butter on two slices of bread, thats about 500 kCals on whole wheat bread(100 from bread, ~180 x 2 from peanut butter)

Paul Stagg
06-04-2003, 07:55 AM
Milk is good. So are nuts. Adding in a tbsp of flax would be good, too.

I prefer ice cream and pizza, but that's just me.

Tryska
06-04-2003, 10:31 AM
well i'm not sure about in between meal snacks as i eat at roughly:

8am
10:30 am
1pm
4pm
7:30pm

M1 is just before work
M2 is right after i get to work
M3 is lunch
M4 is pre-workout
M5 is after workout, before bed.

I suppose I could add some nuts to M4 because that's kind of light

M1 - is about as much as i can handle as soon as i wake up. i could add some sort of peanut butter snack as dessert after M5 as well. or maybe more milk and some whey.

I prefer pizza and ice cream too paulie - but that's not enough protein.

GhettoSmurf
06-04-2003, 10:35 AM

I prefer pizza and ice cream too paulie - but that's not enough protein.

then order a "meat-lover's" pizza from pizza-hut ;) plenty of protein and good ol' greasey fat :drooling:

Y2A
06-04-2003, 11:36 AM
How about some eggs w/breakfast? Doesnt look like you have too much in M1. Natty PB on WW bread is always a good option. Oh man, PB... thats the good stuff.

Tryska
06-04-2003, 11:59 AM
I can't handle too much in M1 - plus i'm half awake so it has to not involve cooking.

Y2A
06-04-2003, 12:09 PM
Mix your coffee with 1/2 a serving of vanilla Nlarge. Mmmmmmm, protein and sugar... 300 extra calories.

Paul Stagg
06-04-2003, 12:10 PM
I'm the same way with my first meal, I don't like to eat heavy when I first get up, plus I'm typically hurried - so I just have a Metrx. Toss an extra scoop of whey in, down it, down a tbsp of flax, and drink 8oz of V8. Then take vitamins with a big glass of water. The odd tasting belch notwithstanding, it works quite nicely.

Ice cream has plenty of protein in it.

Tryska
06-04-2003, 12:22 PM
perhaps i can go back to mixing up my myoplex cappucino drinks.

altho that's way too much mechanical stuff for that hour of the morning. In case y'alla re wondering i'm a total retard when i first wake up. it takes that cup of coffee for me to be somewhat normal.

Paul Stagg
06-04-2003, 12:36 PM
I fully understand.

I look in my sock drawer for pants. I forget to shave. I forget to put on my watch/cell phone. I can't find my glasses that I'm wearing.

I can typically manage to feed the dog without killing her, make a shake, and make whoopee. (Mrs Groove is oft impressed that I can do that and not be able to function otherwise - I tell her it's instinct.)

Of course, I'm never too tired for whoopee.

Tryska
06-04-2003, 12:41 PM
baha! way more info then i needed. i get up, go to the bathroom, pop my thyroid pill under my tongue, and turn on the kettle. then i lie on the couch half-dozing/half watchign the news til the thyroid pill is dissolved. by then the kettle is boiling, and i make my instant coffee. then i sip on it for a half hour whilst acclimating to the whole daylight thing.

Paul Stagg
06-04-2003, 12:43 PM
Maybe you need some whoopee.

Instant coffee?

Tryska
06-04-2003, 12:46 PM
making real filter coffee is too difficult, and not quite up tio the rocket fuel standards i require in that cup.

Manveet
06-04-2003, 01:05 PM
hard boiled eggs are the way to go.

AlexBBbegginer
06-06-2003, 06:13 AM
my breakfast is 1 tin of beans with 2 ww toast+ healthy spread and 1 pint of water.

is your coffee caffeine free?

cos caffeine hits your minerals badly, especially magnesium

try to think of all your meals as a 500 cal goal

so get an idea of how much is 500 cals,

WWbread+ spread -150 cals
large jacket pot -300+ cals
100g of tuna - 100 cals.....

and design meals like that,

Its easy, just read food labels and after a while u just know what 500 cals looks like. If u find its too much to eat just keep @ it stopping when your full, it took me about 2 months to work up to 6 meals a day, it is a very big change for your body. Now tho i cant live without food going in my mouth 1ce every 3 hrs, but im full of energy all day, i only feel crap 20 mins before my next meal and everyone @ work thinks im mad and love fish :( but thats cos i dont tell them im a closet gainer;)

Tryska
06-06-2003, 07:50 AM
of course that coffee is fully caffeinated. it's jsut one cup a day tho - but without that little caffeine boost, i'd have no good reason to get out of bed.

Scott S
06-06-2003, 06:00 PM
I don't think I'm going to have that problem again, now that I have natty PB and apricot preserves in my fridge.

Mmmm... 600 calorie sandwiches... :drooling:

BigMatt
06-08-2003, 12:13 PM
Get a weight gainer toss it between 1pm and 4 pm or after workout

-TIM-
06-09-2003, 12:23 AM
here is an example of this weeks menu -

M1 - coffee w/ half and half, one cup juice, 2tbsps brewers yeast

Well look at meals 1, 2 and 4. You're really not taking in that much on the majority of your meals.

A nice way to add an extra 120 guiltless calories to your day is by adding a bowl of Cream of Wheat to your breakfast. It has the same nutritional specs as oatmeal but it digests faster and doesn't leave you feeling full, allowing you to eat sooner.

Tryska
06-09-2003, 10:18 AM
actually - i've found a new friend. or a trio of friends I should say -

Designer Whey in Chocolate
Gatorade 12ozers
a battery operated blender cup. I can now add an extra 300 cals to my lunch.

by eating pizza for luncha nd mac and cheese with tuna for dinner, My calories are now 2580, with a 40/30/30 ratio. I for oen am thrilled.

should be able to carry me through doubles as far as trianing goes.

thetopdog
06-09-2003, 10:23 AM
Eat Pizza. Yesterday for lunch I had one of those frozen pizzas you buy in the supermarket and bake in your oven. It ended up being about 1100 calories:D not to mention the milk I drank along with it