PDA

View Full Version : i have increased my protein substantially and am having problems

chops
06-03-2003, 06:23 PM
hello,

i have been on the body for life eating plan for 7 weeks. i am having 'digestive' problems. sorry if this is too much info but i thought that ppl on this site have probably experienced this before and can help me out. i make sure i drink 8-11 cups of water per day, eat plenty of raw veggies. i took some natural 'cleasning' pills but these barely help. last week, i started taking in flax seed oil. i have not seen improvement yet . i am worried that i am compromising my health.

i am currently trying to eat about 80-90g protein per day. my old diet was very low in protein, maybe 30-40g per day. i am 110 lbs. advice??

if you are not familiar with body for life, it advocates:

-6 meals per day, spaced about 2-5 to 3hrs apart
-eating a portion of carb and protein at each meal, at least 2 or more of veggies
-daily protein: about 1g protein per lean body weight
-approximately 20/40/40 ratio

HORNEDFROGS07
06-03-2003, 07:08 PM
How old are you? If you're under 17-18, I wouldn't recommend eating a bodybuilder's diet (this is coming from someone who just turned 18, and i'm assuming age due to weight) Personally, I weigh 190 and get at least 175g protein per day w/out any problems. However, I've been gradually increasing protein intake and moving to a bodybuilding oriented diet since I first started lifting (15yrs old).
If you make sudden changes in the makeup of your diet like that, you probably should expect to see some kind of irregularities for a little while. If they havent gone away after 7 weeks, you might wanna make some changes.
I really dont see any reason why you should be messed up though......sounds like your eating plan is better than mine.

GhettoSmurf
06-03-2003, 07:11 PM
what do you exactly consider a "body builder's diet" and why shouldnt someone who, like me, is 16 go on a "body builder's diet"? im just curious

bradley
06-04-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by chops
hello,

i have been on the body for life eating plan for 7 weeks. i am having 'digestive' problems. sorry if this is too much info but i thought that ppl on this site have probably experienced this before and can help me out. i make sure i drink 8-11 cups of water per day, eat plenty of raw veggies. i took some natural 'cleasning' pills but these barely help. last week, i started taking in flax seed oil. i have not seen improvement yet . i am worried that i am compromising my health.

i am currently trying to eat about 80-90g protein per day. my old diet was very low in protein, maybe 30-40g per day. i am 110 lbs. advice??

Might try adding more fiber to your diet either through a fiber supplement or by eating more veggies. Also have you started drinking a lot of milk or using a protein powder/MRP?

primetime18
06-04-2003, 07:26 AM
I'm in the same boat. I've noticed over the past few days some problems, and although I'm lactose intolerant, there has been no dairy in my diet. It's worse when I use my protein shake (which by the way I was told was lactose free, and makes me believe this isn't a lactose related problem).

I will try the fibre suggestion.

Ferdo
06-04-2003, 09:31 AM
You might be lactose intolerant as Bradley was suggesting. I would assume your a female considering your 110. But then again you didnt give me much to work with I would need to know your diet. Exactly what you eat, if you would like post it and ill take a look.

bradley
06-04-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by primetime18
I'm in the same boat. I've noticed over the past few days some problems, and although I'm lactose intolerant, there has been no dairy in my diet. It's worse when I use my protein shake (which by the way I was told was lactose free, and makes me believe this isn't a lactose related problem).

I will try the fibre suggestion.

Are you using whey protein isolate or whey protein concentrate?

chops
06-04-2003, 10:44 AM
i am 28, female, and i'm definitely not lactose intolerant. before bfl, i consumed dairy products regularly. the reason i hardly do now is because bfl recommends against it (if there is a weight loss goal). i currently eat some yogurt (about 3 cups a week total), and occasionally mix my whey powder with milk (maybe 1-2 week).

when u say increase fiber - what fiber sources do u recommend? i eat a lot of raw veggies on purpose for fiber.

i try and use the palm/fist methods for portion (except i eat bigger portion of veggies) and approximately around 15 grams or more protein per meal, so i end up getting about 75-90g protein per day.

typical meals sample one
m1 - ff sf dannon light n' fit smoothie, protein powder& water
m2 -1/2 cup nf cottage cheese, 3/4 cup nf ns yogurt
m3 - grilled chicken, salad with baby carrots, small banana
m4 - orange, half protein bar,baby carrots
m5 - 1/2 cup nf cottage cheese , 3/4 cup nf ns yogurt

typical meals sample two
m1 - protein bar
m2 -1/2 can tuna/ 1 slice WW bread
m3 - grilled chicken, 1 whole tomato and greens, small banana
m4 - balance bar, baby carrots
m5 - tofu, brown rice, steam broccoli

i was thinking that perhaps i should have a goal of about 65 g protein per day? would that be sufficient to support muscle growth? i'm not looking to get big, i want a lean scupted look. i currently have a slim but "soft' look.

Ferdo
06-04-2003, 11:00 AM
Your diet looks good to me. Sometimes when I eat alot of veggies I get stomach problems. Certain veggies such as Broccoli have certain molecules in them similar to beans that dont digest well, which can cause some stomach discomfort. I have also had digestion problems in the past, try some EFAS as well, such as salmon oil pills. If your 110 90 grams of protein is good even 110 would be good, your not going to get buff by eating more protein, you will though if you lift heavy weights and eat protein. So if you dont want to look like a guy as you say you dont just keep the weight as just enough to give you a challenge and do more reps. IF you continue to have these stomach problems see a doctor, the only other thing I can think of is Irratable Bowel syndrome.

bradley
06-04-2003, 11:29 AM
when u say increase fiber - what fiber sources do u recommend? i eat a lot of raw veggies on purpose for fiber.

You could increase you intake of veggies, add a high fiber cereal like Fiber One, or use psyllium husks/powder.

i was thinking that perhaps i should have a goal of about 65 g protein per day? would that be sufficient to support muscle growth? i'm not looking to get big, i want a lean scupted look. i currently have a slim but "soft' look. [/B]

I would say stick to about .8g of protien per lb of bw per day given your current activity level. I am not saying that you could not get by with less but at that level of intake I think it is safe to say that you will not compromise muscle growth/recovery.

Have you though about what foods you have added or eaten more of recently besides protein in general? One thing that comes to mind is the protein supplements that you are using. I would just start playing around with different foods in your diet and you should be able to isolate the one that is causing the problem.

bradley
06-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Ferdo
If your 110 90 grams of protein is good even 110 would be good, your not going to get buff by eating more protein, you will though if you lift heavy weights and eat protein. So if you dont want to look like a guy as you say you dont just keep the weight as just enough to give you a challenge and do more reps.

I would have to disagree with the above statement regarding women and heavy weights.

Relentless
06-04-2003, 11:41 AM
If your 110 90 grams of protein is good even 110 would be good, your not going to get buff by eating more protein, you will though if you lift heavy weights and eat protein. So if you dont want to look like a guy as you say you dont just keep the weight as just enough to give you a challenge and do more reps.

I gotta say, I'm with bradley here... what the heck are you talking about Ferdo? This is a total myth.

There's no reason to not keep lifting more and more... if you expect to train your muscles, you need to progress. Doing 'more reps' is not going to help you.

As I understand it, the typical woman simply doesn't have enough natural test to drive much muscle bulk/growth... you can put on some muscle (which will in turn increase your BMR and help you lose fat) but you're not going to turn into a man without some kind of external help (i.e. AAS)

chops -- I've had similar problems and found that psyllium husk fibre in powder form, consumed with water, was more than enough to do the trick... 1-2 tbsp with an 8oz glass of water, followed by another 8oz glass...

raniali
06-04-2003, 11:43 AM
don't make me start off on women and wt training any differently. that's an entirely different subject.

however - i am not sure what kind of digestive problems you are having exactly but i might suggest taking digestive enzymes with each meal and then reducing it to just the higher protein ones if that seems to be working. papaya, pineapple or mango enzymes are easy to find in a health food store (i haven't checked in regular drugstores or supermarkets though).

chops
06-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by bradley

I would have to disagree with the above statement regarding women and heavy weights.

i just started wieght training, i want to do as much as i can to improve my tone. if i think i am getting too bulky, is the solution is as simple as cutting back on the weight?

in regards to isolating the problem food - you mentioned whey. could cottage cheese be the culprit? this is the one food that i recently added to my diet and consume almost daily (sometimes a few times daily, for convenience). i can try replacing this for a few days to see if it makes a difference.

i will also try upping the veggies, although i'm eating more veggies now than i ever have in my life. if things don't improve by next week, i'm going to the doctor, as its quite common nowadays that i don't see any movement for a week.

thank you very much to everyone who replied.

chops
06-04-2003, 11:55 AM
"chops -- I've had similar problems and found that psyllium husk fibre in powder form, consumed with water, was more than enough to do the trick... 1-2 tbsp with an 8oz glass of water, followed by another 8oz glass..."

is your 1-2 TB based on your weight? thanks

raniali
06-04-2003, 12:00 PM
women should lift weights just like men if they want to improve tone. it is virtually impossible - unless the women has a hormone imbalance - to get "big and bulky" without steroids or other "help". lifting heavy, applying progressive resistance will only cause your muscles to start developing and, therefore, "tone". for all the women in my gym who lift wts - there are maybe 3 (including myself) that are "too big" from the average viewpoint. i know for a fact, one has been on juice for sometime....the other has been powerlifting for YEARS .... and I focus all my efforts (eating, training) to GROW and am still not seeing what I would like. you will NOT turn into the incredible hulk anytime soon.

bradley
06-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by raniali
don't make me start off on women and wt training any differently. that's an entirely different subject.

:hide::cool:

in regards to isolating the problem food - you mentioned whey. could cottage cheese be the culprit? this is the one food that i recently added to my diet and consume almost daily (sometimes a few times daily, for convenience). i can try replacing this for a few days to see if it makes a difference.

Would be worth a try and hopefully that might isolate the problem.

Relentless
06-04-2003, 01:54 PM
"chops -- I've had similar problems and found that psyllium husk fibre in powder form, consumed with water, was more than enough to do the trick... 1-2 tbsp with an 8oz glass of water, followed by another 8oz glass..."

is your 1-2 TB based on your weight? thanks

it's based on the instructions on the container of psyllium husk fibre. :D

check out some labels in your local health food store and/or ask the advice of a nutritionist that will be working in one of the better healthfood stores...

Ferdo
06-04-2003, 07:46 PM
I didnt mean more reps as in15-20 i meant if she was doing 4 or 5 move to 8 to 10. I should have said that.

bradley
06-05-2003, 02:25 AM
I didnt mean more reps as in15-20 i meant if she was doing 4 or 5 move to 8 to 10. I should have said that.

The rep range really does not have anything to do with it. As Callahan mentioned in his post, females do not have the hormones that would allow them to get extremely big.

AlexBBbegginer
06-05-2003, 08:50 AM
If your having these problems its probably best to stick to normal foods, protein shakes and bars are really there for convenience.
A lot of ppl cant cook and prepare meals all day long, or more commonly afford all that meat or eat it.
You can easily find better alternatives such as salmon, mackeral etc which will increase your good fat and n-3 intake.

And yes do not worry about bulking out, it takes these female lifters 10 times the effort, training, and luck of genetics to achieve those results. listen to raniali ;)

If your lean body mass (the amount you weight minus your fat) increases, but your weight stays the same... you will actually be getting smaller and less bulky since 1b of LBM is far more dense than fat.

Dont worry about the scales too much as long as you look great and see results keep going, and i mean this as in dont worry if the scales tell you YOUR HEAVY!! as long as your measurements are pleasing and lean.

GL and dont take everything too scientifically, find out what works for you and stick to it, it should be fun not all scientific.