PDA

View Full Version : Post Workout Question(HELP!!)

Mic Soloist
06-03-2003, 07:29 PM
I have been drink 1.5 servings of MetRX Protein Plus post workout and then waiting about 1 hour or a maybe and hour and a half to eat a full meal.

Is this all I need to do or should I have something with my shake. Like some honey or something else. What is ideal post workout???

-peace-

GhettoSmurf
06-03-2003, 07:31 PM
the ideal post-workout shake IMO would be a 1:3 ratio of whey:dextrose and/or maltodextrine

Mic Soloist
06-03-2003, 07:43 PM
well since I'm having the premade MetRX shake should I have anything else with it?

GhettoSmurf
06-03-2003, 07:43 PM
what are the ingredients for the shake?

pruneman
06-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Postworkout, high GI carbs are the most important because they refill your depleted glycogen stores and this prevents muscle catabolism. However, carbohydrates in combination with protein is ideal. My PWO shake is 1/4 c dextrose(52g) and 1 scoop of whey protein (20g).
From what i hear, dextrose is probably the best sugar to use for PWO shakes. I had some trouble finding a place to buy it at first, but you can buy it dirt cheap at any place that sells homebrewing equipment.
Hope that was some help.

-Pman

Mic Soloist
06-03-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by pruneman
Postworkout, high GI carbs

-Pman

What foods have high GI carbs???

Would a bagel or.... oat meal or something???

Mic Soloist
06-03-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
what are the ingredients for the shake?

this is what it looks like

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp55687_333181_sespider/metrx/protein_plus_milk_chocolate_powder.htm

I'll have to check the ingredients

-peace-

Mic Soloist
06-03-2003, 08:19 PM
Metamyosyn(Milk Protein isolate, Caseinate, Whey Protein Isolate, Glutamine, Egg White), Cocoa(Alkali Processed), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Aspartame, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Acesulfame Potassium.

-peace-

geoffgarcia
06-03-2003, 08:26 PM
Its my understanding the MetRx shakes are designed as meal replacement shakes, and not specifically designed as a post workout.

Sooo....finish your stock of MetRx shakes for breakfast and go out and get some protein + dextrose + maltodextrin for post workout

Mic Soloist
06-03-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by geoffgarcia
Its my understanding the MetRx shakes are designed as meal replacement shakes, and not specifically designed as a post workout.

Sooo....finish your stock of MetRx shakes for breakfast and go out and get some protein + dextrose + maltodextrin for post workout

Really...

I thought MetRX was post workout. Hmm, that sucks

So if I get what you say will that be all I need post work out?

bradley
06-04-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist

Really...

I thought MetRX was post workout. Hmm, that sucks

So if I get what you say will that be all I need post work out?

The Met-Rx protein is a proten blend which would be okay for postworkout, but I think 100% whey would be better. How much better, I guess is the real question:)

When you run out I would recommend just getting some 100% whey and dextrose. You can purchase the dextrose online or at a store that sells home brewing supplies. The 100% whey and dextrose will probably end up being cheaper than the Met-Rx protein.

bradley
06-04-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist

What foods have high GI carbs???

Would a bagel or.... oat meal or something???

Foods like white rice, white bread, smarties candy, etc.

If you wanted you could use smarties candy as a source of dextrose until you purchase some dextrose powder.