PDA

View Full Version : Should I worry about Sat Fat??

Mic Soloist
06-03-2003, 07:30 PM
I like cheese and it gives me some extra protein and fat plus it's good. However it does have a lot of Sat Fat and I was wondering if that is a bad thing for a bodybuilder. What is bad about saturated fats??

-peace-

GhettoSmurf
06-03-2003, 07:33 PM
IMO the fat from cheese isnt the greatest source of fat. i'd try to get my fat from other places like natural peanut butter, olive oil, flax oil, fish oils, etc.

pruneman
06-03-2003, 07:38 PM
Personally, i have never had trouble eating the low-fat or fatfree cheeses. I know some people really can't stand the way they taste. IMO cheese (or any milk fat) is a bad source of fat. Something that i do sometimes to add flavor to a sandwich instead of cheese is use avacado slices...tastes great!!

-Pman

GhettoSmurf
06-03-2003, 07:43 PM
about the low-fat/FF cheese- be sure to check the nutrition labels, becuae even though it's FF or low-fat, the fat can be replaced with a lot of SUGAR :(

Mic Soloist
06-03-2003, 07:44 PM
so what exactly is so bad about the cheese?

Will it cause you to put on weight or is there some other problem?

Ferdo
06-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Saturated fat is terrible if you want to be fit. And cheese has probably the most saturated fat next to meat sources that arent lean like chicken breats or top round steak. This fat is like eating the skin off a chicken or the fat around a steak. You wouldnt do it would u. Although cheese does have good stuff in it like calcium. Im not so sure about low fat cheeses havent looked in to them. But as of the reqular cheese I would stay away or eat very sparingly.

Mic Soloist
06-03-2003, 08:12 PM
I usually have like 1 or 2 slices of deli chedder cheese maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

Is that bad?

Brandon7775643
06-03-2003, 08:50 PM
A little saturated fat in your diet is not a problem. The levels you indicate you are eating are not an issue. Stop stressing out.

Saturated fats aren't anything to be scared of. They are often preferable to cook with at temperature. While a touch dogmatic, I found the following article useful:

http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/17/saturated_fat1.htm

Make sure you visit page two. This article was posted by someone else on this board, whom I have forgotten, so kudos goes to them.

Ferdo
06-04-2003, 09:35 AM
YEs, hes right but I would not reccomend more then 20 grams per person at a 2000 calorie diet. Which is already hard enough to stay at when you eat your normal clean foods, add in extras like cheese and you will get there faster then you know it. However, it is possible to work anything in to your diet.