PDA

View Full Version : Met-RX shake vs. whey

unshift
06-04-2003, 09:30 AM
hey everyone, yet another question...

pre-workout ive been having 1 scoop of whey with half a cup of cheerios, and post-workout i have a met-rx shake, add in a scoop of whey, and some oatmeal.

my question is with the met-rx... i like it because it has 100% DV of lots of vitamins and minerals and whatnot, but it has some sort of synthetic Metamyosin protein that i'm not sure about. i've been adding a scoop of whey post-workout just in case the Metamyosin doesn't digest as quickly (and to get an extra boost of protein) but now between the whey and Met-RX it's adding too many calories (the shake itself becomes ~300 cals, then combine that with oatmeal for a ~450 cal post-workout meal). i still want to have 100% DV of vitamins, minerals, etc. but i would like the benefits of fast-acting protein (and lower calories) post-workout as i'm trying to build muscle AND lose as much fat as humanly possible.

for my last meal of the day, i'm having 2 whole eggs and a mixed bowl of cheerios/cracklin oat bran. should i substitute this meal for a Met-RX shake to keep getting all the nutrients and such? then my last meal of the day would be 250 cals, 40g protein, virtually no carbs or fats, which seems to be what i want before going to sleep.

thanks!

GhettoSmurf
06-04-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by unshift
for my last meal of the day, i'm having 2 whole eggs and a mixed bowl of cheerios/cracklin oat bran. should i substitute this meal for a Met-RX shake to keep getting all the nutrients and such? then my last meal of the day would be 250 cals, 40g protein, virtually no carbs or fats, which seems to be what i want before going to sleep.

try some cottage cheese and natural peanut butter before going to bed.

cottage cheese = caesin which is a slow-digesting protein
and the PB will help slow the digestion even more. :)

bradley
06-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by unshift
my question is with the met-rx... i like it because it has 100% DV of lots of vitamins and minerals and whatnot, but it has some sort of synthetic Metamyosin protein that i'm not sure about. i've been adding a scoop of whey post-workout just in case the Metamyosin doesn't digest as quickly (and to get an extra boost of protein) but now between the whey and Met-RX it's adding too many calories (the shake itself becomes ~300 cals, then combine that with oatmeal for a ~450 cal post-workout meal). i still want to have 100% DV of vitamins, minerals, etc. but i would like the benefits of fast-acting protein (and lower calories) post-workout as i'm trying to build muscle AND lose as much fat as humanly possible.

The protein in the Met-Rx is a blend of different types of protein (caisen, whey, etc). It is still a good protein source but it will digest at a slower rate than the 100% whey. I wouldn't really worry too much about the vitamins that are contained in the Met-Rx shake. Just use the whey and carbs postworkout (although I would use high GI carbs instead of low GI). If you are concerned about the vitamins I would recommend purchasing a multi-vitamin which would be better IMO than relying on a protein powder for vitamins.

You could use the Met-Rx before going to bed if you wanted. This would be a better time to use it IMO because before bed is an ideal time for a slower digesting protein. You could drink a shake and add in some type of fat as GS mentioned which would slow the absorption to a greater degree. Although I am unsure about how much of each protein the Met-Rx contains which would have a bearing on how fast it was digested.

unshift
06-04-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

try some cottage cheese and natural peanut butter before going to bed.

tried that... the peanut butter worked fine, but the cottage cheese was a different story :) every time i took a spoonful i gagged and chased it with some PB. then i ran out of PB and put away the cottage cheese :D

Black Ice 72
06-04-2003, 07:10 PM
While I was grocery shopping I picked up a couple cottage cheese and fruit snacks.

It is cottage cheese and included is a side off an applesauce or pinapple. I believe there are other flavors, too. If you are having a tough time adopting the taste for cottage cheese I greatly suggest this snack. Breakstone's Cottage Doubles is what they are called as I recall. Pick one up, see how you like it.

Adios,
Alec

SoulOfKoRea
06-04-2003, 08:05 PM
mmm, pineapples and cottage cheese, peaches are pretty good too.