PDA

View Full Version : Hip Joint Pain From Squatting WIDE

NateDogg
06-04-2003, 10:03 AM
Hey All,

I have been training Westside since the beginning of the year. I absolutely love it BTW.

However, box squatting and squatting wide in general, though I don't do full squats much, is bothering my hip joints quite a bit. I am sitting way back (especially with the box squat).

So, any of you guys squatting with a wide stance (putting most of the pressure on your hips) ever experience pain in your hip joints? How do you treat it? Did you just work through it and it went away? Should I maybe bring my stance in and work like that for a while and see if it goes away?

BTW, by WIDE, I mean can't-use-the-power-rack-because-it's-too-narrow, feet-at-least-double-shoulder-width wide.

Thanks Everyone,

NateDogg

Paul Stagg
06-04-2003, 10:58 AM
Yes, I've had hip pain.

Stretching helped a bunch.

NateDogg
06-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I have been doing some stretching. I definitely need to step it up though. Thanks Paul.

Adam
06-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Buy a old squat suit or a cheap new one/breifs. They take a ton of pressure off of your hips but dont help much with the lift if there loose. if you wear the suit just keep the straps down.

NateDogg
06-05-2003, 11:23 AM
Thanks Adam, do you recommend any particular briefs, or place to buy them?

Hercule
06-05-2003, 12:34 PM
I havn't really experienced any hip pain yet. I keep my feet straight ahead, spread the floor, and go down to my 14" box with no problem. I think its just a matter of hip flexibility.

Adam
06-05-2003, 07:56 PM
monster muscle has cheap ones, just buy the cheapest they have available and dont get really tight ones. They should be snug but thats it.

NateDogg
06-06-2003, 07:22 AM
Alright, thanks everyone.

benchmonster
06-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Buy a pair of breifs from Frantz. I have a double layered pair and I love them. I have free squatted over 600 lbs in just these breifs, no suit and no wraps, and they held up just fine. They are tough and supportive and will take away your hip pain.

I can't squat in most racks either. We use a monolift for all squatting in my gym. No problem with width there.

I squatted for my first year or so of powerlifting in a single Z suit with the straps down. This is much better than nothing, but I strongly recommend getting the Frantz briefs, or a Crain's Half Suit. Do not waste your time or money on those crappy Inzer groove breifs. They are awful.

B.

NateDogg
08-13-2003, 10:56 AM
Hey bench, or anyone else, can the Frantz briefs be found online anywhere?

BigCorey75
08-13-2003, 01:45 PM
if your double shoulder width, you may be a little too wide, try bringing your feet in a bit, and if it is neccessary turn your heals out some until you get the neccessary flexibility to squat wide with your toes pointed straight.

ElPietro
08-13-2003, 01:51 PM
I don't think you should just start squatting super wide and with a box right from the get go. Your hips need to adjust to going that wide and deep. Maybe bring them in and slowly after each week you can go a inch or two wider until you are as wide as you'd like. Stretching after each workout will help. I know this is what I'll be starting to work on more now that I have depth where I pretty much want it to be.

NateDogg
08-13-2003, 03:01 PM
I have brought them in a bit, but they still hurt if I squat in a powerlifting style. I actually have a doctor's appt coming up for my back (sacroilliac strain) again. I'll mention that my hips are bothering me too and see what they say.

Thanks again guys.