PDA

View Full Version : Sodium/Water depletion

w8lifter
08-15-2001, 10:57 AM
I'm doing a test run this week of carb loading/sodium depleting/water depleting for my final week before competition.

EVERYTHING seems to have sodium in it! Is the goal absolutely zero sodium during this time, or is a couple hundred mg's going to affect it?

I feel okay about everything but the damn final week. The whole water/sodium depleting, carb load thing screws me everytime. I came in retaining water last time and it sucked. I almost feel like I should not carb load or water deplete, I honestly looked better before I did this last time. Any suggestions here would be appreciated :)

Tryska
08-15-2001, 11:00 AM
hey w8..good to see you here.....*grin*

umm...i always thought carb-loading made you bloat anyway? (or at least it does for me)......which is why when you go on a keto, you shed so much water that first week. You are gonna be hardpressed to find anything even whole foods, minus the sodium since it is a naturally occuring mineral....besides, doesn't that set you up fro major electrolyte imbalances and cramping? (the water depletion, plus sodium, i mean)

w8lifter
08-15-2001, 11:13 AM
Well, as I understand it, the manipulation of the electrolytes should follow the same course as the carb depletion & loading because the glycogen in the muscles need water to be stored; so extra water will be drawn in the the muscles giving a fuller look.

So, carb loading does make you "bloat" as you put it because of the extra water stored in the muscle. The manipulation of the electrolytes is supposed to make sure the extra water isn't stored under the skin.

.........I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about though. I can read all this crap but it doesn't mean I actually understand any of it. I must be slow :rolleyes: This is why I'm begging for help, lol. What I need is someone to point me in the direction of a book/website that explains what electrolyates do and the results of manipulating them. Thanks :)

Tryska
08-15-2001, 11:21 AM
hee hee...way out of my league...but perhaps this website/book might help?

http://www.bodybuildingcompetition.com/copy.htm

Maki Riddington
08-15-2001, 11:22 AM
I would ask Ronan or PM him.
He'll probally be able to help you.

breeze
08-15-2001, 11:48 AM
I found some information on electrolytes. also if you want to lower your sodium level take potassium, because it has a seesaw relationship with sodium. When one goes up the other goes down.

HowStuffWorks <http://lycos.howstuffworks.com/question565.htm>, I learned that an electrolyte is basically a salt that can carry an electrical charge. The cells of your body rely on electrolytes to carry the electrical impulses responsible for muscle contractions and nerve impulses to other cells. Without electrolytes, your body cells couldn't communicate efficiently.

Electrolyte is a "medical/scientific" term for salts, specifically ions. The term electrolyte means that this ion is electrically-charged and moves to either a negative (cathode) or positive (anode) electrode:
ions that move to the cathode (cations) are positively charged
ions that move to the anode (anions) are negatively charged
For example, your body fluids -- blood, plasma, interstitial fluid (fluid between cells) -- are like seawater and have a high concentration of sodium chloride (table salt, or NaCl). The electrolytes in sodium chloride are:
sodium ion (Na+) - cation
chloride ion (Cl-) - anion
As for your body, the major electrolytes are as follows:
sodium (Na+)
potassium (K+)
chloride (Cl-)
calcium (Ca2+)
magnesium (Mg2+)
bicarbonate (HCO3-)
phosphate (PO42-)
sulfate (SO42-)
Electrolytes are important because they are what your cells <http://howstuffworks.lycos.com/cell.htm> (especially nerve, heart, muscle) use to maintain voltages across their cell membranes and to carry electrical impulses (nerve impulses, muscle contractions) across themselves and to other cells. Your kidneys <http://howstuffworks.lycos.com/kidney.htm> work to keep the electrolyte concentrations in your blood constant despite changes in your body. For example, when you exercise <http://howstuffworks.lycos.com/sports-physiology.htm> heavily, you lose electrolytes in your sweat <http://howstuffworks.lycos.com/sweat.htm>, particularly sodium and potassium. These electrolytes must be replaced to keep the electrolyte concentrations of your body fluids constant. So, many sports drinks have sodium chloride or potassium chloride added to them. They also have sugar and flavorings to provide your body with extra energy and to make the drink taste better

Maki Riddington
08-15-2001, 12:07 PM
Great info Breeze!

w8lifter
08-15-2001, 01:03 PM
Thanks everyone. I've got some reading to do :D

Wizard
08-16-2001, 08:11 PM
And after doing the reading,go and buy a potassium supplement to get rid of the water you reatain due to the electrolytes imbalance....

Tryska
08-17-2001, 03:00 PM
hey w8.....don't know if this little snippet will help ya, but i ran across it....

Fluid Retention

If you do tend to retain fluid, begin to restrict yourself to distilled water and low levels of sodium 24 hours before the competition. Also increase your potassium, magnesium, and calcium intake.

Actually, most people tend to retain some fluid so these suggestions should be considered by all bodybuilders. You want as little extracellular fluid as possible to avoid smoothing out. On the other hand, intracellular fluid will increase cell size so you'll be bigger. It also aids vascularity.

Distilled water and low sodium will serve to lower the extracellular fluid. Potassium will increase the amount of fluid inside the cell. Higher potassium levels are also better for muscle contractions though you want to be sure not to create potassium levels that are too high. Calcium, and magnesium, are important in avoiding cramping.

w8lifter
08-17-2001, 03:40 PM
Thanks Tryska! It does help quite a bit. Do you remember where you found it?

Tryska
08-17-2001, 06:26 PM
as a matter of fact w8 i do.....I was actually reading through it for some totally unrelated information and ran across this article, and thought of you......basically the guy has this diet, which from what i understand of it, is kind of a keto (i think), but in the link he where he's explaining adapting for BBers he pretty much covers everything from bulking to Pre-comp...it was cool reading....but at the same time, fromt he perspective of his diet methodology (which i find pretty good anyway), but is a moot point i guess for you at this juncture....

anyways...here you go....Metabolic Diet (http://www.metabolicdiet.com/bodybuilders.htm)

oh - interesting stuff on carbo-loading throught the year, so that everything is made easy when pre-comp time comes...i thought that was pretty interesting too.

w8lifter
08-17-2001, 07:07 PM
Awesome!!! Thanks Again!! :cool: :thumbup:

Tryska
08-17-2001, 07:15 PM
no worries...glad i could help :D

Frankster
08-17-2001, 08:24 PM
definatelly ask ronan for help on sodium depletion.