PDA

View Full Version : How much HIIT is too much?

Mark Madness
06-04-2003, 03:25 PM
Hi guys. I've decided to change my aerobic training to HIIT on the stationary bike. Currently I'm starting slow by doing a 5 minute warm-up followed by 5 minutes of IT (30 sec super fast, 30 sec slow) but I intend to work my way up to 30 minutes in total. My question is should it be alright if I do this every day once I get up to 30 minutes? Currently I'm cutting but I'm particularly concerned about doing this on leg days.

SoulOfKoRea
06-04-2003, 03:50 PM
there's no reason to do HIIT that long, and I don't think it would be an intense 30 minutes, most likely a half-assed session, especially on a stationary bike in which you can't pedal extremely fast for your heart rate to rise up.

GhettoSmurf
06-04-2003, 04:35 PM
IMO all you need is 10-15 minutes for a killer HIIT session. just be sure to go b@lls to the wall, and you'll see the difference :)

Ruthless
06-04-2003, 04:46 PM
boy i just started doing hiit running in the park for 20 min, 15 sec intence and 45 sec recover and boy that killed me

FuriousFerret
06-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Like others have said, if you do hiit the way it's intended (110% effort) you'll drop by 20 minutes, I'm lucky to last 10.

CBates
06-04-2003, 06:17 PM
I've been doing HIIT cardio for 6-7 weeks now (2-3 times a week) and I'm still getting around 11-13 minutes a session, so like the others stated, if you're doing it correctly, there's no way you're going to get up to 30 minutes. Also, I think going for 30 seconds all out, is a bit too much, try aiming 8-15 seconds going all out. I find doing sprints rather than doing a stationary bike is better for fat loss results, atleast it is for me, I noticed more fat loss when doing sprints and dropping doing HIIT on the bike.

Mark Madness
06-05-2003, 07:20 AM
WHOA! I just finished my first HIIT session on the bike. I noticed you guys didn't think the bike was that good but I'm not strong enough to run yet so I jacked the bike to full resistance. After my 5 min warm-up I did the 30/30 thing and after only 5 more minutes I'M DEAD. Sweet Jebus Cripes I can't feel my butt or my legs! Not literally of course :D . I should have started this a long time ago.

gopher
06-05-2003, 07:57 AM
I've just started doing HIIT again for my cutting phase. What I like to do is set the timer for 30 minutes. I warm up for 5 minutes then do intervals until I'm gased. What ever time is left on the timer I do at a moderate pace. Gradually I add intervals until I am able to do 20 minutes worth. That way I end up doing a 5 minute warm up 20 minutes of intervals and a 5 minute cool down.
It will probably take me another 3 or 4 weeks to get up to a straight 20 minutes of intervals.

Xg74
06-05-2003, 10:19 AM
If you can go balls to the wall full out intensity for 30 seconds then you are not doing it correctly. I can barely make it past 5 seconds of high intensity. ;)

KingJustin
06-05-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Xg74
If you can go balls to the wall full out intensity for 30 seconds then you are not doing it correctly. I can barely make it past 5 seconds of high intensity. ;)

If you said 60 seconds, assuming you weren't talking to a real track star, I would be inclined to agree with you. 30 seconds, on the other hand, is definately possible, especially for anyone who has a good lung capacity.

"Also, I think going for 30 seconds all out, is a bit too much, try aiming 8-15 seconds going all out."

I disagree here as well. While I don't think going for 8-15 seconds at a time is at all a bad idea, I feel like it should depend on the individual. I prefer (and this is not the be all end all way to HIIT) to run as hard as I can for as long as I can, and then jogging until I'm most of the way recovered, and then repeating until I'm nearly dead. Both styles of training will have different effects on the body.

Also, I have a question for anyone who feels like they know...If one does HIIT for 15 minutes, jogging between the intense intervals, and then jogs for another 5-10 minutes without resting, then how would fat loss work?