PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

Ace
06-04-2003, 05:25 PM
I am trying to figure out which would have less calories because I am cutting right now.

Now, let's say that I drink Miller Lite which is my beer of choice. This beer has 96 cals for 12oz.

A typical night would generally consist of 12 - 15 Miller Lites. That is approximately 144 - 180oz, which is 1152 - 1440cals.

I have been trying to figure out the caloris value on typical hard alcohols likes vodka, rum, whiskey, etc, but I have been having some difficulties. I know that alcohol has 7 cals/g, but how would you calculate the calories for a 750ml(fifth) of vodka which is 40% alcohol. Does this mean that there is 300ml of vodka in the whole fifth? If so, how can I convert the ml to g? Is there a certain concentration that a typical alcohol has?

I know I *shouldn't* drink, but I am gonna so I decided I might as well make the best out of it by drinking the most healthy. ;)

JustinASU
06-04-2003, 05:32 PM
eww I hate Lite beer...its piss water, if you're gonna drink why not go all out and get something high quality like Shiner or Yingling

Ace
06-04-2003, 05:35 PM
OK, I have been figuring this up and found out that a 40% alcohol has about 50 cals per oz. 1oz = 29.5ml so there is 25.4 oz in a 750ml(fifth) of hard alcohol which is 1270 cals in a 750ml(fifth) of hard alcohol.

I guess I answered my own question. :D

Ace
06-04-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by JustinASU
eww I hate Lite beer...its piss water, if you're gonna drink why not go all out and get something high quality like Shiner or Yingling I would much rather have something else too, but this is the reason that I went to lite beers in the first place because of the calories.

Alex.V
06-04-2003, 05:37 PM
The way I hear it, most hard liquors are about 80kcal/ounce.

1 ounce = 28ml = 11.2ml alcohol (80 proof) = 78.4 calories. That's a decent guide.. and most shots are a little over an ounce, so figure 100 kcal/shot.

Ace
06-04-2003, 05:52 PM
I'm not much for shots, so the thought has to come to mind that why don't I just buy some everclear and just put a little in something with no calories like diet coke? ;)

GhettoSmurf
06-04-2003, 07:49 PM
how about, no alcohol :) stick to good ol' water :D

Ace
06-04-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
how about, no alcohol :) stick to good ol' water :D Hey! I said I HAD to drink. I know there would be a cocktart that would say that. ;)

AdamGberg
06-04-2003, 08:02 PM
ah hellz naw ghetto smurf, people can unwind after a busy week with a few beers, but 15 seems a bit excessive unless you are a frat boy like me...i switched to liquor...

Mic Soloist
06-04-2003, 08:19 PM
just drink what you want dude. I just make the day I drink my cheat day. I wat healthy all day.... usually about 1400 calories and lots of protein, then I have about 7-10 beers. I don't usually get light beer ethier unless it's Amstel. U get whatever beer I want and even though I probably take in 2500 calories on that day it doesn't fukk me up cuz it's only one day a week(ok, sometimes two:alcoholic)

Just enjoy your night of drinking and eat good every day of the week. Also drink as much water as your bloated belly can handle before bed so you can work out the next day without having a bad headache, being dizzy, or hugging a bowl :drooling:

If you do it that way I think you'll be str8. I've made good gains and I drink every weekend.

-peace-

Berserker
06-05-2003, 09:42 AM
Sorry I am late. What Belial said is right 80-90 cals for an ounce of hard alcohol. So if beer is your chouse 16 cals isn;t much of difference. I would just drink what I like. When drinking hard alcohol the mix is big thing. I don't use a lot so it isn't to bad.
Sometimes I wonder if beer makes me retain a little water, from the sodium. I am not on a low sodium diet, but I don't add much to my food either.
For me it seems red wine has worked good. Probably all in my head or drinking habits. It is stronger, and taste good so I drink it faster, and probably drink less.
If I was cutting I would cut back on the days I drank. You can still drink just realize it will slow you up, same as eating a pizza would. So if your not training for a certain date, go ahead and have a few.
Personally I feel one of the keys when drinking is eating good. It so easy to crap and do it right before bed. I lost weight when I cut out the 2:00 am frozen pizza and ramen noodles I ate in college. I still think eating something is a good idea.

restless
06-05-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Ace
Hey! I said I HAD to drink. I know there would be a cocktart that would say that. ;)

AA (http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/)

:D

Ace
06-08-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by restless

AA (http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/)

:D Drinking is good for the soul. :p

restless
06-08-2003, 03:15 PM
No it isn't, my father is an alcoholic (and so am I) and I assure you it did nothing good for our spirits, minds and bodies.

HORNEDFROGS07
06-08-2003, 10:28 PM
If you have to drink, hard liquor gets you drunker quicker, so you shouldn't need as much to get messed up, right..... Less alchy equals less cals.

-TIM-
06-09-2003, 12:34 AM
I went out to a club a few night ago for the first time in months and I drank water (you can imagine the reaction). I didn't want the alcohol to affect my progress in the gym. But people in bars don't understand that...I'm gonna stop going out :)

bradley
06-09-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by HORNEDFROGS07
If you have to drink, hard liquor gets you drunker quicker, so you shouldn't need as much to get messed up, right..... Less alchy equals less cals.

You just have to watch what you mix the hard liquor with. If you are taking shots then yes you would probably end up taking in less calories but if you are mixing it with Coke or something simliar then you will be taking in quite a bit more.

Ace
06-09-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by restless
No it isn't, my father is an alcoholic (and so am I) and I assure you it did nothing good for our spirits, minds and bodies. There is a point where it gets a little too much, but I am not near that point yet. It is still in good fun. ;)

bradley
06-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by ennui
im working on my diet.. but i drink about 3-5 nights a week (i work for a .com) and when i drink its usually about 15-25 Guiness Drafts (the new snazzy ones in the bottle...)

mmm... mothers milk

Cutting back on the drinking would help tremendously with the cut.

Tryska
06-10-2003, 02:17 PM
holy sh*t. you drink 15-25 guinness's 3-5 nights a week?

i'm scared of you.

now wonder so many .coms went down the toilet. *lol*

Relentless
06-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Cutting back on the drinking would help tremendously with the cut.

:nod:

find a drug that has no calories and use that instead. :D

Tryska
06-10-2003, 02:25 PM
word.

Relentless
06-10-2003, 02:35 PM
word.
:smoke: :D

Tryska
06-10-2003, 02:36 PM
that's why i became a pothead in college. actually it was because drinking made me puke, and smoking didn't.

APE.
06-10-2003, 02:40 PM
Just smoke crack w/ the drinks.I've never known an overweight crackwhore. :D

Ace
06-11-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by APE.
Just smoke crack w/ the drinks.I've never known an overweight crackwhore. :D Good idea! LOL I guess we need to start a ratio out for every such and such amount of drinks, how much crack do we need to smoke. Is there a study about this somewhere? HAHA :D

APE.
06-11-2003, 08:48 AM
No;no study;just from personal exp. w/ the crackwhores I know.2/3 smokes a day should do it.

APE.

Ace
06-11-2003, 09:14 AM
I'll have to keep that in mind. ;)

BobbyRS
06-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Interesting:

A client once asked me, "Can I still drink my favorite vodka since it's low calorie?"

ANSWER: I know the Atkins Center and the Zone Factor allow for booze, but be realistic. While everything you eat is naturally turned into an alcohol and a sugar of some sort by the body before it is used internally, you are talking about straight alcohol and that's worse than bleached white table sugar. When you ingest pure sugar or straight alcohol, you skip steps in the normal digestive process naturally involved in the breakdown of whole real foods and this disrupts the body's normal biochemical transitions. That's what makes you fat and part of what causes you to store cellulite. Other things cause cellulite, sure, we have mentioned that, but this is one sure cause. Alcohol (beer), aspartame and other fake sugars, by the way, those chemicals are turned into alcohols once inside of you too, each of these things retard your metabolism.

You see, the body needs essential fats, good protein and complex carbohydrates for energy, healing, health, existence, fat loss AND muscle building all the day long and all the night through. Alcohols and sugars deplete you of these important factors. It is worse if you aren't getting them to begin with. But deplete yourself for even a couple hours or miss out on any of the essential nutrients required for any of your feedings and you'll fail in all areas of fitness, health or sports or whatever else you strive for success in.

http://www.aboutdiet.com/diets-for-fat-loss.html

bradley
06-12-2003, 04:58 PM
Also alcohol will be used as a preferred energy source when present in the body.

WestyHeadbanger
06-12-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Ace
I am cutting right now. A typical night would generally consist of 12 - 15 Miller Lites.

I'd hate to see your bulking diet. :D