PDA

View Full Version : OK.... I am currently trying to gain weight

Mic Soloist
06-05-2003, 01:35 AM
but I want to knock off inches. My waist is 32 inches, and I feel like I need to be at about 29 to see abs. I am not fat by any stretch but I have a little flab in certain places that prevent me from being totally cut. I have gained wieght(went from 154-160) in the last few weeks and I haven't gained much on my waist if any. Possibly 1/4 inch if that. I am happy cuz I am getting some size and my arms and chest have also grown quick recently.

However I am trying as hard a possible to get a 6 pack showing ASAP. I have made a lot of threads on WBB and I have learned so much on here. I have made my mistakes but I think I'm on track now more than ever, since I am getting results. I'm pretty sure I was overtraining and undereating for a while. Now I am eating a lot more and it is helping.

My weekly routine looks like this:

Sunday: Chest/Tricep/

chest

3 sets 8-10 Flat Bench

2 Sets 6-8 Decline Bench

3 Sets 8-10 Lever Pec Deck
Fly(http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/LVPecDeckFly.html)

3 sets of leve chest dips

3 Sets 8-10 Cable Standing Fly

triceps

3 sets of 8-10 Cable Pushdowns

3 Sets of 8-10 Lever Tricep Extensions

Monday: All Cardio

League Bball Game or

20-30 minutes on Eliptical Machine

Tuesday: Bicep/Ab

bicep

4 sets of 8 Dumbell Curls

3 sets of 12 Cable Curls

3 sets of 8 Lever Preacher Curls

abs

3 sets of Medicine Ball Crunches till failure

3 sets of 15 Hanging Leg Lifts

Wendsday: All Cardio

BBall Game or

20-30 Minutes on Eliptical

Thursday: Legs

legs

4X squats, pyramid weight

4X leg press, for last set, add 50lbs

3X hamstring curl

3X straight-leg deadlift

3X seated calf raise

3x lever hip abductions

Friday: Back/Shoulder/Ab

shoulder

3 Sets of 8-10 Lever Shoulder Press

3 Sets of 8 Dumbell Front Raise

3 Sets of 8-10 Lever Lateral Raise

back

3 Sets of 8-10 Lever Lateral Raise

3 Sets of 8-10 Lever Seated Row

3 Sets of 8-10 Lever Close Grip Pulldown

2 sets of 8 Chin-Ups

abs

3 Sets of 10 Weighted Lever Seated Crunches(Gripless)

Saturday:Chillin/Cardio

Pick up BBall and/or

20 minutes Eliptical

Maybe a lil random lifting if I missed something

My diet changes but on a typical day I have:

Meal 1: Oatmeal w/ 2 cups of skim milk
MetRx Protein Plus Shake

Total: 436 Cals 4g Fat 47 Carbs 55g Protein

Meal 2: 2 tbsp Natty Peanut Butter & Jelly on 2 slices white bread w/ 16oz water

Total: 766 Cals 22g Fat 77 Carbs 67g Protein

--WORKOUT--

Meal 3: 100% Whey Protein Shake w/ 2 Cups skim milk

Total: 1052 Cals 25g Fat 105 Carbs 104g Protein

Meal 4: 1 Can Tuna
2 slices white bread

Total: 1342 Cals 29g Fat 129 Carbs 140g Protein

Meal 5: 1 Cup Cottage Cheese(sometimes w/ peaches or pineapple)

2 slices Butterball turkey breast

Daily Total: 1582 Cals 33g Fat 141 Carbs 178g Protein

I substitute foods often and I have things in my diet such as

Chicken Breast
Chicken Salad
Salad
Boiled Eggs
Wheaties
Boca Burgers

My totals are always around the same though. I have been doing this now for a few weeks with good results. I grow and maintain my waist size but what can I do to actually lose inches on my waist. Don't say increase calories because I'm eating all my stomach can hold and I've tried increasing and I gain on my waist. The amount I eat now is allowing me to add muscle without growing in the waist.

So does anybody know what I should try to shed inches. I feel like a damn six-pack is impossible. So please help

-peace-

bradley
06-05-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist
[BSo does anybody know what I should try to shed inches. I feel like a damn six-pack is impossible. So please help
[/B]

You need to focus on one goal either losing or gaining weight. You will see much better results focusing on one or the other rather than attempting to do both at once.

To lose weight you are going to have to create a calorie deficit either through diet, training, or a combination of the two. If you are currently gaining weight then I would recommend cutting cals in small increments each week until you are losing a small amount of weight each week.

You definitely need some form of omega 3 fats in your diet and probably more healthy fats in general. I would recommend adding in some oily fish like salmon or looking into supplementing with some fish oil. You might also want to think about adding in some veggies which contain a lot of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.

I would eliminate some of the milk and high GI carbs from your diet and replace with healthy fats that I mentioned above. Changing from wheat bread to white bread will give you a little more fiber in your diet.

Postworkout I mix the whey with some high GI carbs in water.

Might think about trying HIIT cardio on one or two of your cardio days. There is a good HIIT sticky in the training forum.

Also from reading a post of yours in another thread you mentioned that you drink one or two nights a week. If you limited yourself to one night per week and tried to keep it within reason then this will help in you in reaching your goals. I am not saying to not go out and have a good time, but instead of drinking a 12 pack you might cut down to a 6 pack and also keep an eye on what you eat while you are out.

bradley
06-05-2003, 03:29 AM
After looking at your current weight and activity level I would be careful about dropping cals, but if you are gaining at you current calorie intake then dropping cals to lose weight would be the next logical step. Might try adding in the EFAs that I mentioned in my above post before dropping calories.

Mic Soloist
06-05-2003, 03:37 AM
The problem is I need to keep growing and gaining muscle because I am far from big. But I can not afford to add inches.

Even when I do cut calories I do not want to lose weight. I worked my ass off to gain these 6 or 7 pounds of muscle I've put on in the last month or so. What is the point of losing it again???

I though when cutting you tryed to loose inches, not weight. I could have maintained my former diet(which was about 1300-1400 calories per day) if I wanted to be 154 pounds. My goal is to reach 170 ASAP. I know at this rate I can probably do it without gaining much on the waist.

But as I said I would like to decrease at least 1-2 inches in the process. Is that not possible??

-peace-

Mic Soloist
06-05-2003, 03:39 AM
BTW I do have veggies most nights with dinner. I forgot to mention that. I have carrots, broccoli, and other stuff.

-peace-

bradley
06-05-2003, 03:51 AM
Even when I do cut calories I do not want to lose weight. I worked my ass off to gain these 6 or 7 pounds of muscle I've put on in the last month or so. What is the point of losing it again???

If you lose weight at a slow rate then you will help minimize the amount of LBM losses, but you should expect to lose a little bit of muscle when dieting.

I though when cutting you tryed to loose inches, not weight. I could have maintained my former diet(which was about 1300-1400 calories per day) if I wanted to be 154 pounds. My goal is to reach 170 ASAP. I know at this rate I can probably do it without gaining much on the waist.

You are right in that you want to change overall body composition but this usually means that you will have to lose weight. This is the reason I said that you need to focus on one goal at a time. If you want to be at 170lbs. then you need to keep gaining. It is hard to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, and this is mostly limited to people new to weight training or people using AAS.

But as I said I would like to decrease at least 1-2 inches in the process. Is that not possible??

Yes it is possible but you need to determine what your goals are. Do you want to be at a lower bf% or do you want to be at 170lbs? Decreasing your waist size and still gaining muscle is really not a logical approach IMO. I think you will just end up spinning your wheels so to speak.

Mic Soloist
06-05-2003, 03:58 AM
that does make sense...

Ok

I have been lifting since January and I know up until recently and even still there are things I am not doing 100% correct. So I am still new at this.

Judging from my stats and my background what would you suggest right now.

1. Stay at my current pace of eating more and gaining muscle along with pounds.

2. Cut back and shed the BF to get a 6-pack and then start the bulking again.

I really want the 6-pack but I am pretty thin and I can see my abs a little now..... so I guess I could hold up on the cutting unless I start to gain on my waist.

But what do u think?

-peace-

GhettoSmurf
06-05-2003, 04:35 AM
with your workout routine. there is no need for biceps to have their own day IMO.

also, you might not want to have back day right after leg day. i'd try to space those 2 out a bit more. where are the DL's on back day? ;)

try looking at one of the WBB routines.

bradley
06-05-2003, 05:46 AM
[B]1. Stay at my current pace of eating more and gaining muscle along with pounds.

2. Cut back and shed the BF to get a 6-pack and then start the bulking again.

I think you should stay at your current calorie level and continue gaining weight. You said that you were gaining right now with minimal fat gain which is ideal IMO. Start making some small adjustments to your diet and training to help you maximize your gains. Once you reach a goal weight for yourself then you can cut down if you want. I recommend writing down what your current goals are and then sticking to them until they are reached. In your case you mentioned that you wanted to be weigh about 170lbs., so maybe you can let that be your goal weight seeing as though you are not that far from it.

I really want the 6-pack but I am pretty thin and I can see my abs a little now..... so I guess I could hold up on the cutting unless I start to gain on my waist.

But what do u think?

If you are already on the thin side then I wouldn't really worry to much about the six pack. To lose the necessary fat to have a well defined six pack will mean losing bf from all over your body which could make you look even more thin. Basically if you don't have much muscle and you go on a cut you will not have much of anything left after cutting. A six pack is nice but you aren't walking around with your shirt off all day.

Work on shaping up your diet and training. You seem to have a good grasp on diet and training, and I am sure you will see the gains you want if you keep working hard.

Mic Soloist
07-31-2003, 01:53 AM
Two more questions....

I've been drinking pre and post workout shakes. What is the stuff I should be taking with my post workout shake and where can I get it???

Also, should I eliminate white bread totally?? Cuz I do like my pnut butter sandwiches on white bread.

Thanks

bradley
07-31-2003, 02:44 AM
I've been drinking pre and post workout shakes. What is the stuff I should be taking with my post workout shake and where can I get it???

I would recommend using maltodextrin in your pre/post workout shakes, but you could also use dextrose.

You can find dextrose at most stores that sell home brewing supplies, and you can order malto online.

Also, should I eliminate white bread totally?? Cuz I do like my pnut butter sandwiches on white bread.

While I believe that wheat bread has more nutritional value (fiber, etc.), I really see no need to elimate white bread if you enjoy it. The GI index of the white bread will really not be that important since you will be eating the white bread with peanut butter, which will slow the absorption of the bread.:)

Mic Soloist
07-31-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by bradley

I would recommend using maltodextrin in your pre/post workout shakes, but you could also use dextrose.

how much dextrose in each shake and do you just mix it in with your shake??

-peace-

bradley
07-31-2003, 03:18 AM

how much dextrose in each shake and do you just mix it in with your shake??

-peace-

Post workout ~50g, and yes you can just mix it in with your protein.:)

Preworkout ~25g taken about 30 minutes before training.

The easiest thing to do would probably be to just mix up one shake and drink 1/3 of the shake preworkout and the remaining 2/3 post workout.

EdgarMex
07-31-2003, 11:22 AM
Daily Total: 1582 Cals 33g Fat 141 Carbs 178g Protein

Is this your total caloric intake for a day? If so I think it is too low even if you're trying to lose weight, not to mention trying to gain mass. And on top of that you're doing 3 cardio sessions a week.

Mic Soloist
07-31-2003, 12:28 PM
Since I wrote this thread I've went up to 1750 Cals and I'm only doing cardio two times per week.

Now I'm gaining weight pretty steadily.

Almost 3 pounds in two weeks

-peace-

EdgarMex
07-31-2003, 12:36 PM
I think 1750 is still to low. I'm cutting, currently at 159 lbs, consuming between 1900 and 2000 cals per day, doing no cardio and I'm still losing weight after dieting for 11 weeks.

If your calories are that low and you workout and do lots of cardio what you will do is slow down your metabolism and make it even harder to lose any more fat.

Mic Soloist
07-31-2003, 01:30 PM
I'm eating at least 6 meals a day and sometimes more. By the time I'm slightly full I'm eating again....

I am drinking like 6-8 16oz bottles of water per day so I'm pretty sure my metabalism is pretty fast now.

I am gaining muscle weight pretty quick right now so I don't think increasing my calories would make me lose BF. I don't know how the hell I can lose BF%

I know I could lose weight easily but it has always been tough for me to lose fat instead of muscle. Even at my skinniest point I've always had this little bit of flab right above my ass on my back and oblique. I am still very thin in the waist but I think that sh-t prevents my abs from being more cut up.

Basically if I increase calories I know I'm gonna gain weight faster and most likely gain some fat as well. If I decrease calories I'll most likely lose weight but it'll be mostley muscle loss. So for now I think my best plan is to stay around 1800 calories.

But any advice is welcomed. I'm still learning.

-peace-

EdgarMex
07-31-2003, 01:39 PM
If your metabolism is as fast as you say it is and if you're 162 lbs (like it says on you sig) and you lift and do cardio, I don't see how you can be possibly be gaining if you only consume 1750 calories per day. My metabolism is pretty slow, I'm taking more cals than you and I'm still losing (we're pretty much at the same weight and almost same height, I'm 5'9"), If it wasn't because I still have a belly and my BF is around 17% I would be bulking.

My opinion is that you are getting a bit obsesed about this "little bit of flab around you waist". I have seen several posts where you comment/ask/rant about the same thing. You're BF is probably low and there's not much fat lose. Maybe you should post a pic and let the people here give you a different opinion on how you look.

Y2A
07-31-2003, 01:40 PM
IMO,
Stick with the 1500-something that has been getting you fat free mass, it doesnt get any better than that! It seems really low, but if youre gaining muscle, stick with it. After you reach your desired weight, then cut down on the fat :)

bradley
07-31-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Y2A
IMO,
Stick with the 1500-something that has been getting you fat free mass, it doesnt get any better than that! It seems really low, but if youre gaining muscle, stick with it. After you reach your desired weight, then cut down on the fat :)

I agree. If you are gaining at a certain calorie intake there is no point in increasing cals further, which would more than likely lead to bf gains.

Mic Soloist
07-31-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by EdgarMex
If your metabolism is as fast as you say it is and if you're 162 lbs (like it says on you sig) and you lift and do cardio, I don't see how you can be possibly be gaining if you only consume 1750 calories per day. My metabolism is pretty slow, I'm taking more cals than you and I'm still losing (we're pretty much at the same weight and almost same height, I'm 5'9"), If it wasn't because I still have a belly and my BF is around 17% I would be bulking.

My opinion is that you are getting a bit obsesed about this "little bit of flab around you waist". I have seen several posts where you comment/ask/rant about the same thing. You're BF is probably low and there's not much fat lose. Maybe you should post a pic and let the people here give you a different opinion on how you look.

Your right. I'm sure if I posted a pic people would say not to worry about it... cuz I am probably 14% at the most.

I did take some pics with my girlfriends digital cam a while back but I haven't get the stuff to post it yet. I am gonna do that ASAP.

I'm not sure how fast my metabolism is but I do eat often and I get incredibly hungry if I don't eat like every two to three hours. Which is funny b4 I started training I was eating like two meals a day and probably a total of 1200 calories per day if that. I was a skinny dude then. However between ages 13-17 I was anywhere from 190-220 pounds of mostly fat. I lost like 70 pounds between 17 and 19 without even trying to. I was playing bball every day and not eating much and I lost all that weight.

When I began training in January of this year I was 153. Now I'm almost 165 and I have gained only 1/4 inch on my waist. So that is good. I am currently eating more than I ever have right now. I shoot for 1750-1800 calories daily but on some days I hit 2000. Depends on if my mom cooks a special dinner with pasta or some ****:)

Anyway, I think your right. I guess the lil bit of flab I'm talking about is really no big deal and if I continue to gain muscle on my chest and arms without gaining on my waist it will make me look smaller there anyway. But I really was trying to acheive a 6-pack and right now I can barely see my abs poking through.

Hopefully as I continue to train I will naturally get more cut in the stomach area and abs will be more visible. But thanks for the advice bro.

-peace-