PDA

View Full Version : How much water??

Mic Soloist
06-05-2003, 01:50 AM
I usually drink about 3 liters of water a day. Is that enough???

How much would you suggest drinking. I know the more the better but what is a good amount?

-peace-

bradley
06-05-2003, 03:13 AM
1 gallon per day is a good start:)

Mic Soloist
06-05-2003, 03:43 AM
ok

Thanks for all the help bro....

Oh, BTW I'm slow in math....

how many liters = gallon??

GhettoSmurf
06-05-2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist

how many liters = gallon?? 3.784 liters.

gopher
06-05-2003, 08:02 AM
3.784 liters.
Just go ahead and drink 4. :)

Berserker
06-05-2003, 09:30 AM
I would measure it out, this is a science:rolleyes:

chops
06-05-2003, 12:32 PM
http://members.aol.com/SaveMoDoe2/importance.htm. note the last sentence in the cut/ paste in regards to the frequency of drinking.

personal note: it has been several weeks and i'm still running to the bathroom a lot :(
---------------------------------------------------------

How much water should you drink?
A non active person needs a half ounce of water per pound of body weight per day. That is ten 8 ounce glasses a day if your weight is 160 pounds. For every 25 pounds you exceed your ideal weight, increase it by one 8 ounce glass.
An active, athletic person needs 2/3 ounce per pound which is 13-14 8 ounce glasses a day if you're 160 pounds. The more you exercise the more water you need. Spread out your water intake throughout the day. Do not drink more than 4 glasses within any given hour. After a few weeks your bladder calms down & you will urinate less frequently, but in larger amounts.

drew
06-05-2003, 10:02 PM
Saw my urologist today. He said it doesn't matter how much you drink exactly, but how much you urinate. You should be pissing about 1.5 litres a day. How to measure? Got me. I just guess it. But you obviously need more water on days when you sweat a lot (i.e. work days) than when you are resting.

Shankerr
06-05-2003, 10:23 PM
I basically drink betwen 6 and 12 litres a day. a good way to do it is to buy 2 big jugs of water (the 4 litre size) and stick them in the fridge. At least drink one full one, and aim for two if you can.

MrWebb78
06-05-2003, 10:27 PM
1-2 gallons a day. make sure your pee is nice and clear.

GhettoSmurf
06-06-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by MrWebb78
1-2 gallons a day. make sure your pee is nice and clear.

i agree, the only time my pee isnt clear, is after ive taken a multi-vitamin. :rolleyes:

Tank23
06-06-2003, 07:04 AM
Check this out dudes. I was reading the paper today and this article was in there:

-------------------

Coma Risk

Fitness fanatics who drink too much water could risk seizures, respiratory failure and even death.

US researchers found excessive sweating, combined with too great an intake of water during exercise, diluted the concentration of vital body salts.

The condition is called hyponatremia, which, in extreme cases, can cause athletes to lapse into a coma and die.

-------------------------

What y'all reckon of that?

Fenbay
06-06-2003, 07:24 AM
I actually supplement salt now. I had bad cramp problems and figured this may be part of the reason. As of yet <knock on wood> I have not had anymore problems.

I think I'm unusual though. I always run low sodium on blood tests and don't use it on any of my food, so the average joe may not have the same problems as I did.

bradley
06-06-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Tank23
Coma Risk

Fitness fanatics who drink too much water could risk seizures, respiratory failure and even death.

US researchers found excessive sweating, combined with too great an intake of water during exercise, diluted the concentration of vital body salts.

The condition is called hyponatremia, which, in extreme cases, can cause athletes to lapse into a coma and die.

-------------------------

What y'all reckon of that?

Basically they are describing an electrolyte imbalance in the body. Hence the reason that products like Gatorade and Powerade are always advertising that they help restore lost electrolytes. I would imagine that you would see some of the milder symptoms of hypoatremia like fatigue, weakness, naseau, and headache before you actually fell into a coma and died.

If you are following a balanced diet then you should be fine, and if you are going to be performing long endurance type activites then it would be beneficial to have somehthing like Gatorade to help restore lost electrolytes and muscle glycogen.

Mic Soloist
06-06-2003, 08:44 AM
In my 20 years of life I HAVE never heard of someone dying from to much water. If I die like that then it's my time to go....

Thats almost funny. You would have to sweat a fukkin ocean. I have sweat my ASS off before and seen fat dudes next to me swearting twice as hard and chugging water and nobody has ever died.

Overdose on water.....:rolleyes:

c'mon.

-peace-

drew
06-06-2003, 09:56 AM
In my 20 years of life I HAVE never heard of someone dying from to much water.
Drowning? :D

GhettoSmurf
06-06-2003, 06:11 PM
In my 20 years of life I HAVE never heard of someone dying from to much water. If I die like that then it's my time to go....

Thats almost funny. You would have to sweat a fukkin ocean. I have sweat my ASS off before and seen fat dudes next to me swearting twice as hard and chugging water and nobody has ever died.

Overdose on water.....:rolleyes:

c'mon.

-peace-

actually, my science teacher knew a couple kids that actully did drink themselves to death from water. the school was conducting a drug test, and the 2 kids had used some "performance enhancing" drugs. so they decided to drink TONS and TONS of water to try to flush it out of their systems. and they were literally drinking so much water to the point that they were vomiting, and they both ended up dying becase all of the water deluted their blood so much.

bradley
06-07-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

actually, my science teacher knew a couple kids that actully did drink themselves to death from water. the school was conducting a drug test, and the 2 kids had used some "performance enhancing" drugs. so they decided to drink TONS and TONS of water to try to flush it out of their systems. and they were literally drinking so much water to the point that they were vomiting, and they both ended up dying becase all of the water deluted their blood so much.

I have also heard of people that use diuretics and recreational drugs like ecstasy suffering from hyponatremia. Anything is bad for you when taken in excess.

Here is a site describing hyponatremia:

http://www.hmc.psu.edu/healthinfo/h/hyponatremia.htm

Tank23
06-07-2003, 05:28 AM
Thanks for your reply to my post Brad :thumbup:

Mic Soloist
06-07-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

:eek:

frankm007
06-07-2003, 12:52 PM
i know i don't drink enough at all!! my lips get dry, my skin sometimes sucks.. so im gonna put a valid effort into drinking that 1 gallon, thing is..the frequency of urination..my god, it's like peeing ever 10 minutes i swear... it's so uncomfortable... so those that do drink , and regarding the comment that ur bladder calms down..is this true? after a week or so u start urinating less but a lot more?

SoulOfKoRea
06-07-2003, 01:17 PM
^^ well if that's right then it hasn't been happening to me, I still pee quite often, 1-2 times an hour :P. What helped me with that is Instead of drinking a lot of water at once, just sip water from a large cup until it runs out.

SquareHead
06-07-2003, 02:02 PM
I keep a gallon jug at my desk at work. I swill instead of sipping. That's just because I am way too lazy to keep up with small sips through out the day. As for the frequency of urination I think you just adapt to it so it doesn't seem as bad. That's just my personal opinion though I haven't ever seen any studies on the topic.
Actually with me I think it's become like driving home from work. I am always trying to get home faster than my last time so with the water I am always trying to see how much I can drink in a day (within reason) about a gallon and a half is my best so far.