PDA

View Full Version : Cod Liver Oil



Ace
06-05-2003, 09:35 AM
I just bought some cod liver oil at GNC yesterday and I am still a little unsure on how much to take. Currently, I am 195lbs. The caps say that they are 1250 IU of Vitamin A and 135 IU of Vitamin D.

GhettoSmurf
06-05-2003, 11:08 AM
im not totally sure, i know it's good to take around 3-6g of fish poils, but becuae it has the Vit.A and vit D, im not sure how much you'd want to take. are you also taking a multi-vitamin that contains vitamin A and/or D?

Ace
06-05-2003, 11:35 AM
Yes, I think my mega men vitamins have Vit A and D in it.

GhettoSmurf
06-05-2003, 11:43 AM
well then i'd just be sure that you dont end up taking TOO MUCH vitamin A and D becuase of taking the vitamins and the cod-liver oil. but dont quote me on this, i think a beter person to ak about this would be bradley.

heathj
06-05-2003, 11:46 AM
What's the EPA and DHA?

I take 3g per day.

GhettoSmurf
06-05-2003, 11:55 AM
im not saying the cod-liver oil is a bad source of fish oils, im just saying since vitamin A and D are fat-soluable vitamins you want to be sure you dont end up getting TOO much of them.

restless
06-05-2003, 12:11 PM
For my cod liver oil, which is seven seas brand by the way, it would take 6 tablespoons a day of it to reach the amounts where toxicity starts to happen.

Still, to high doses of vitamin A have been shown to cause bone mass loss in sedentary people so although I seriously doubt this is a problem for a bodybuilder I wouldn't go crazy with it.

I have been taking around 600-800% of the RDA for a long time now with no problems.

bradley
06-05-2003, 01:50 PM
The RDA for Vitamin A is 5,000iu and from what I have read the toxicity level is 25,000iu if taken for a prolonged time period. I was reading in another thread where B&I posted that he has seen 50,000iu as the toxic amount but he went on to say that it was probably a little high. The RDA for vitamin D is 400 iu and the toxicity level is 25,000 iu. Either way you will have to take a lot of vitamin A and D to reach toxicity levels.

bradley
06-05-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by restless
For my cod liver oil, which is seven seas brand by the way, it would take 6 tablespoons a day of it to reach the amounts where toxicity starts to happen.


Has your cod liver oil been moleculary distilled like fish oil caps are?

Would the cod liver oil caps be moleculary distilled so as to remove any mercury or would it just depend on the brand?

Ace
06-05-2003, 03:13 PM
This is the cod liver oil I have.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=41676&catid=11453&aid=333971&aparam=GNC%20A-Z%20Cod%20Liver%20Oil,%20Softgel%20Capsules

restless
06-05-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by bradley


Has your cod liver oil been moleculary distilled like fish oil caps are?

Would the cod liver oil caps be moleculary distilled so as to remove any mercury or would it just depend on the brand?

I guess it should depend on the brand. If it has no cholesterol listed in the nutrional values then it was molecularly distilled as this process also gets rid of cholesterol.

bradley
06-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Ace
This is the cod liver oil I have.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=41676&catid=11453&aid=333971&aparam=GNC%20A-Z%20Cod%20Liver%20Oil,%20Softgel%20Capsules


I didn't see the amount of EPA/DHA listed anywhere on the web page, and I am assuming those are 1g caps but I didn't see that listed either. I guess since they are marketing it as a vit. A & D supplement they decided not to list that info.

Does it by chance have it lised on the bottle?

Mystic Eric
06-05-2003, 08:07 PM
Get salmon oil instead. You definately don't wanna be taking the cod liver oil if you're on accutane.

Ace
06-05-2003, 09:00 PM
It doesn't have the EPA/DHA listed on the bottle. There isn't a whole lot of stuff on it.

GhettoSmurf
06-06-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Ace
It doesn't have the EPA/DHA listed on the bottle. There isn't a whole lot of stuff on it.

my fish oil caps have the EPA/DHA listed. dont know about cod-liver oil though. maybe ill have to check to see for myself today while im out driving around. now im kind of curious

heathj
06-06-2003, 04:32 AM
My cod liver does...

110mg EPA
100mg DPA

Ace
06-06-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by heathj
My cod liver does...

110mg EPA
100mg DPA I guess mine would be about the same.

D&G
06-06-2003, 07:39 AM
Sorry but why take cod liver oil at all?

It does nothing for your joints and there are much better less processed oils around for health benefits - the stuff is piss poor imo

bradley
06-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by D&G
Sorry but why take cod liver oil at all?

It does nothing for your joints and there are much better less processed oils around for health benefits - the stuff is piss poor imo

It still contains EPA/DHA which are the beneficial substances contained in fish oil, so it would have the benefits on your joints just as any other fish oil supplement would. IMO I would choose fish oil over cod liver oil just because of the high amount of vitamin A and D that is contained in cod liver oil.

The benefits of fish oil are well established and it is IMO the best supplemental fat source around.

bradley
06-06-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by D&G
It does nothing for your joints and there are much better less processed oils around for health benefits - the stuff is piss poor imo

What are some of these better oils that you mention above?

D&G
06-06-2003, 09:10 AM
Cod liver oils and fish oils are not the same. Cod liver oil is extracted from cod liver and is an excellent source of vitamins A and D. Fish oils are extracted from the tissues (flesh) of fatty fish like salmon and herring and are good sources of EPA and DHA. Fish oils contain very little vitamin A and D, but cod liver oil does contain EPA and DHA. However, you would probably exceed the recommended daily intake of vitamins A and D if you were to try to obtain therapeutic amounts of EPA and DHA from cod liver oil.

For EPA/DHA you are better off using one of the specially made fish oil products over cod liver oil.

restless
06-06-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by D&G


For EPA/DHA you are better off using one of the specially made fish oil products over cod liver oil.

Why?

Scythian_Blade
06-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Unless cod liver oil has benefits other than those derived from epa/dha content, I would tend to think formulated fish oil pills would be a better bet.

You get a higher concentration of EPA/DHA, hence you wouldn't be supplementing your diet with unnecessary extra kcals.

The only other consideration I can think of would be the potential rancidity of some fish oil pills vs. cod liver oil. Long as you get a good pharmaceutical quality fish oil and store it properly, that shouldn't be a problem imo.

restless
06-06-2003, 01:57 PM
I have never seen a fish oil that had a better EPA/DHA ratio than the 2.3 gr per tablespoon my cod liver oil gives me.

Scythian_Blade
06-06-2003, 04:32 PM
I was reading on the avant labs forum and I think twinlabs has a product that is something like 87.5% calories coming from EPA/DHA. Most of the good pills on the market seem to hover around 50% EPA/DHA content. I guess that is just an affordable ratio to produce.

But yeah, I have never come across an actual fish oil that has a better EPA/DHA ratio calorie per calorie than codliver oil.

-Blade

restless
06-06-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Scythian_Blade
I was reading on the avant labs forum and I think twinlabs has a product that is something like 87.5% calories coming from EPA/DHA. Most of the good pills on the market seem to hover around 50% EPA/DHA content. I guess that is just an affordable ratio to produce.

But yeah, I have never come across an actual fish oil that has a better EPA/DHA ratio calorie per calorie than codliver oil.

-Blade

It's probably that Dave Alexanders extra strength cod liver oil or whatever it's called. My problem with the softgels is that they usually come stored in plastic containers and as to this day I still haven't found out at exactly which rate oxidation will happen in fish oils stored in air permeable plastic I rather not use them. Olive oil will lose quality if stored in plastic and I see no reason why fish oils would be any different.


Also, with softgels you can't really be sure the oil is rancid or not unless you bit one of and taste it. There's a much better chance you're not getting a quality product with softgels.

Ace
06-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Good discussion guys. ;)