PDA

View Full Version : Mid-workout shake?

Manveet
06-05-2003, 11:15 AM
I know generally you want to keep training sessions relatively short, since cortisol levels have a negative effect on long training sessions, correct?

Anyways, currently I'm in my first week of 5's for HST. I've noticed that it is a lot more difficult now to complete an entire full body workout in under 1hr and 15 min due to needing longer rest breaks etc.. (I don't feel like splitting it up into am AM/PM session)

My current protocol for nutrition is a pre and post workout shake each consisting of 1 scoop whey and dextrose. Would this protocol suffice say if my training sesson bumped up to 1hr and 30 min? Or would a different approach such as, omitting the pre workout shake, for a mid and post workout shake be better idea? Or maybe just simply increasing the amount of dextrose I take in each shake? I'm leaning towards the mid workout shake idea, but what are your thoughts?

GhettoSmurf
06-05-2003, 11:24 AM
i dunno, IMO i'd just stick to a post workout shake

Manveet
06-05-2003, 11:43 AM
I think I just found the answer to my own question, lol. Here it is, from the interview with Lyle.

Take a small shake of say 20-30 grams carbs (glucose/maltodextrin) with some protein (maybe 12-15 grams since we don't have access to essential AAs by themselves) in as little water as you can mix it (this is to avoid getting sick) right before your workout starts.

If your workout were particularly long (more than 1-1.5 hours), it would be a good idea to sip on a Gatorade solution. 15-30 grams of carbohydrate per hour is plenty. This will maintain blood glucose better, and an abstract a year or two ago showed that it improved overall anabolism.

Then slam your post workout shake immediately after training. The old recommendations for post-workout carb intake was 1-1.5 grams of carbs/kg lean body mass with about 1/3rd as much protein. So, for an average lifter (say 65 kg=150 lbs of LBM or so), you get 65-100 grams of carbs with 20-30 grams of protein. Since you already took in 20-30 grams pre-workout, I'd subtract this from the post-workout shake. If you took in carbs during the workout, you'd subtract that too. So you'd be looking at 45-80 grams of carbs post workout, with 20-30 grams of an easily digested protein. You'd want most of the carbs to be glucose or glucose polymers, but with some fructose (maybe 10-20 grams) in there as well.

Then you'd eat a normal meal about 2 hours later to keep things moving.

*** One question though, can just simple dextrose+water be just as good as gatorade to sip on in the middle of a workout?

bradley
06-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Manveet
*** One question though, can just simple dextrose+water be just as good as gatorade to sip on in the middle of a workout?

I would think that would be fine because all you are really looking for is some carbs to keep blood sugar levels up. I would probably go with some powdered Gatorade or make up a batch of sugar free Kool-Aid w/dextrose so that I had a nice flavored workout drink:D

I was thinking about the same article when I read the excerpt. I remembered seeing it over in the supplements forum. I believe Mystic Eric posted up the same thing.

Bam Bam
06-05-2003, 02:15 PM
why would water make you sick i typically drink 1/2 gallon during workouts

bradley
06-05-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Bam Bam
why would water make you sick i typically drink 1/2 gallon during workouts

I would imagine he is just referring to the fact that you don't want to go into a heavy workout session feeling bloated which could lead to stomach discomfort. There is nothing wrong with drinking water while you workout as long as it is not making you feel sick.