PDA

View Full Version : Am I eating too much fiber?

Scott S
06-05-2003, 07:15 PM
I know that, from a general health perspective, you can't eat too much fiber, but here's the deal: I eat 2-3 cups of oatmeal per day, along with several slices of whole wheat bread. Now, I don't have problems with gas or explosive pooping, but I wonder if it could be lowering my test levels significantly.

Thanks!

pruneman
06-05-2003, 07:22 PM
hey scott.
I eat pretty much the same thing.
I don't think that should be a problem as long as you are not just starting this diet. I have read that you can experience "problems" if you go from a typical low-fiber diet to a high fiber diet. But if you aren't having any digestive issues, i would say keep pushing the fiber.

-Pman

bradley
06-06-2003, 02:33 AM
That is really not that much fiber IMO. I mean it is enough but not enough to worry about because you are only getting about 26g from the 3 cups of oats and then add the amount you are getting from the wheat bread. I think if you are taking in adequate amounts of EFAs your testosterone level will be fine.

From what little I read on the subject most of the sources that I saw were following a high fiber/low fat diet.

raniali
06-06-2003, 12:13 PM
its recommended to get a minimum of 30g of fiber a day (most of us i doubt come close to that).

RoidRage
06-06-2003, 01:03 PM
Is there such a thing as too much fiber? Kinda like protein

Holto
06-06-2003, 01:21 PM
how does fiber have a negative effect on test ?

I have read that the two factors that determine how much test gets bound by SHBG is fiber and water

that made me think fiber is good for test, or at least free test

Scott S
06-06-2003, 05:52 PM
Holto, the argument I heard (I think it was in t-mag) goes like this: fiber tends to brush the LDL cholesterol out of your system, and since cholesterol is used to manufacture testosterone, therefore, fiber could be bad for testosterone levels.

GhettoSmurf
06-06-2003, 06:17 PM
hmmm i was reading a couple different sites, and 2 different people both said that Oatmeal has been show to actually raise testosterone levels. has anyone heard the same?

bradley
06-07-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Holto
how does fiber have a negative effect on test ?

I have read that the two factors that determine how much test gets bound by SHBG is fiber and water

that made me think fiber is good for test, or at least free test

I have not found any studies relating dietary fiber to decreased testosterone levels but I am still looking:) I have attatched a link to a website that states that it is a proven fact that dietary fiber can decrease testosterone levels but it does not give the specific studies that the information came from. Most of the studies that I have found have included either high fiber/low fat or low fiber/high fat, which really would not prove the point.

body
06-07-2003, 05:02 AM
I think the way high fibre levels could indirectly lead to lower test levels in the general population

A) high fibre diets are very filling due to bulking effect, so the person is more full so they eat less kcal (which means you do not have as many excess kcals to help with growth)

B) high fibre diets normally come in low fat and protien foods. so they may not eat enough fat and protien to help keep test levels high.

C) high fibre foods are often high in phytates which can tie up certian vitamins and minerals, so decrease the amount you absorb of them. this could lead to lower test level as not eating enough vit and minerals.

these are the reason off the top of my head that could lead some one to say high fibre levels could cause problems. However most of us here eat a lot of protein and take vit and mineral supps so this should not cause us a problem.

I can eat between 20-60 grams of fibre and i am pretty regular to say the least.

If i eat some thing like raisons or peanuts i can see them as early as 12 hours later.

bradley
06-07-2003, 05:03 AM
Although this far from what I would call ideal information it also states that a higher fiber intake is associated with lower testosterone levels.

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3100.htm#section~dietary_fiber_and_soy_protein

bradley
06-07-2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
hmmm i was reading a couple different sites, and 2 different people both said that Oatmeal has been show to actually raise testosterone levels. has anyone heard the same?

I have never seen anything that would lead me to believe that oatmeal will increase test levels. It does have a positive impact on cholesterol. Do you have any links that state the above?

body
06-07-2003, 05:09 AM
to add to my statements above people who eat the msot fibre in general in the western world are veggie people.
there are quite a few studies out there(well i read some abstracts) that they have lower test levels and other certain nutritients.

GhettoSmurf
06-07-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by bradley

I have never seen anything that would lead me to believe that oatmeal will increase test levels. It does have a positive impact on cholesterol. Do you have any links that state the above?

ill try to find them back later today when i get back home from work

rise
06-07-2003, 09:19 PM
i take chewable fiber supplements because i like to be regular. plus it tastes like candy yum! [sugarfree fiber choice]