PDA

View Full Version : powerlifting routine - feedback

blowdpanis
06-07-2003, 06:36 AM
i'm curious how many people currently follow a powerlifting routine, as i've flirted with the idea of attempting to focus on bringing up the strength of the 'big three' (though probably shrug bar deadlifts over the standard straight bar variety) for a while.

westside etc...feedback, perhaps, on these regimens.

DK
06-07-2003, 01:06 PM
I do westside. It has really helped me build the three lifts. Westise is great. You can customize it many different ways to train your weaknesses. I also like the amount of ME lifts that you can choose from. This is my favorite type of "routine" I've ever done. I've never done any powerlifting before I started it just bodybuilding.

blowdpanis
06-07-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by dkliewer
I do westside. It has really helped me build the three lifts. Westise is great. You can customize it many different ways to train your weaknesses. I also like the amount of ME lifts that you can choose from. This is my favorite type of "routine" I've ever done. I've never done any powerlifting before I started it just bodybuilding.

well gimme more specifics...what would a typical week for you look like. how do you mark progression...how often do you actually TRAIN your PR's for the big three?

DK
06-07-2003, 06:45 PM
well gimme more specifics

Check out my journal. Paul Stagg, NateDogg, and Budiak are all doing westside too.
www.elitefts.com (http://www.elitefts.com) This is the home of westside. Read and learn.

what would a typical week for you look like

Sunday: Max Effort Squat/Deadlift, Tuesday: Max Effort Bench, Thursday: Dynamic Effort Squat/Deadlift, Friday: Dynamic Effort Bench. On the max effort days you pick a movement and work up to a 1RM. On the dynamic effort days you do explosive movements. For Squat/Deadlift day you do box squats, and for the bench day you would do speed benches.

how do you mark progression

I mark progression on ME Day. I try to hit a 5 pound PR. If I can do more then I raise the weight.

how often do you actually TRAIN your PR's for the big three?

I only train the squat, bench, and dead about once every eight weeks.

I'd really encourage you to go to elitefts.com and read some of the articles. There is a sample routine too if you want to look at that. It would show you a little better how a nine week training program is laid out.

chris mason
06-08-2003, 09:36 AM
Hey Blow, what are your current strength levels and what are your goals?

blowdpanis
06-08-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by chris mason
Hey Blow, what are your current strength levels and what are your goals?

my strength levels on the 'big three' aren't overly impressive

my max bench is probably ~260
my max deadlift is probably ~350
my max squat is probably in the 275-290 range

strangely, my chins/dips are way more impressive. i've done 8 'alright' form reps with 85 pounds around my waist in the chin, and 8 reps in good form with 125 lbs around my waist in dips. the past few years i've devoted a lot of attention to dips/chins for upper body...i should have spent more time on deads :) i have worked on squats, but i have very poor levers or something for squat, because i've always kind of sucked in that exercise. still, i do try my hardest to bring it up...

i would like to bench 300, squat 400, and deadlift 500 within, say, 5 years.

edit:

also, i lack some of the equipment necessary for westside style training. i am interested in pursuing more strength-specific work in the 'big three' because i'm annoyed at my lack of strength in these exercises. however, i do not have access to or own: a reverse hyper, a glute-ham raise, or proper boxes for box squats. i could probably go so far as to buy/construct the boxes, but the former two are really expensive, and i don't even think any local gyms have either of these. i prefer the home gym i've built myself anyways, though...

NateDogg
06-08-2003, 04:04 PM
I use a swiss-ball for GHR's (works great, check out the description in my journal, it's on the 10th or 11th page. I use a Reebok step that just happens to be hanging around the gym for box squats (5 block things per side gets me to right around parallel).

blowdpanis
06-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by NateDogg
I use a swiss-ball for GHR's (works great, check out the description in my journal, it's on the 10th or 11th page. I use a Reebok step that just happens to be hanging around the gym for box squats (5 block things per side gets me to right around parallel).

sorry for my confusion, but GHR = ? :)

DK
06-08-2003, 05:40 PM
glute ham raise

PowerManDL
06-08-2003, 05:56 PM
I wouldn't worry about Westside not working if you don't have the special equipment. The main thing to do is follow the loading principles they outline, ie the speed day and maximal day.

My routine uses a lot of the same core concepts, but I apply them differently so that what I do resembles more of a "normal" powerlifting split, with a squat day, a deadlift day, and two upper body days.

I really do recommend using percentages to train somebody that's not at a pretty high level of strength, because I've found from experience that I lose my groove real fast on the main lifts if I don't do them consistently.

I don't do a straight linear method though, which is where I differ from both "standard" approaches and Westside; I work a lot in the 75-85% range, as well as using more frequent speed and less frequent maximal workouts.

chris mason
06-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Hey, you and Powerman are chinning freaks!:D

blowdpanis
06-08-2003, 08:53 PM
btw, this might make me stupid, but where are the journals people are referring to on elitefts.com? eg natedogg, whoever...i'd be curious to read these :)

Chris Rodgers
06-08-2003, 08:59 PM
Go to the Q and A section. On the left side you can click on their training journals.