PDA

View Full Version : Is this ok for a new guy?

davidd
06-07-2003, 10:42 AM
I am going for a more "chisled" look.... I used to be in good shape but had to take a year off due to knee injury. i used to just run alot, but now i've started doing weights and eating healthy.

I eat cereal for breakfast, a couple of scrambled eggs and 2 pieces of toast at 10:00, a ham/turkey/chicken sandwich for lunch, a protein shake at 3:00, and another sandwich for dinner.

i do weights day 1, bike for an hour day 2, run a couple miles day 3, rest a day, then start over.

does this sound good?

i've been doing this for about a week, i thought i'd ask before i do it too long incorrectly hehe

also, approximately how long should you wait before complaining that its not working? lol

thanks alot

david

Manveet
06-07-2003, 10:51 AM
That's a lot of activity, but not a lot of calories. If your looking to drop weight, sure. But if you want to add muscle, more food.

drew
06-07-2003, 11:24 AM
More food, but less bread. Instead of all those sandwiches, just have turkey or chicken. Skip the ham. If you need bread, make sure it's whole wheat. And make sure your eggs are whites only (if you're trying to lose weight).

Eat more often. Add in some fish (cod, tuna, salmon) and veggies.

GhettoSmurf
06-07-2003, 01:49 PM
if you need some help with a good routine, maybe you could take a look @ one of the WBB routines.

what are your stats?

bradley
06-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Looks like you need more calories in general, more healthy fats (EFAs), and probably more protein (depending on your weight).

I would recommend the following:

-Get at least 1g of protein per lb. of bodyweight.

-You need to make sure that you are getting adequate amounts of EFAs in your diet, and getting approximately 25-30% of your cals from fat should help ensure that you are getting adequate amounts. Most of the 25-30% should come from healthy sources like fish oil, flax oil, oily fish (example salmon), nuts, natural peanut butter, olive oil, etc.

-I would recommend getting your carbs from low GI sources like oats, sweet potatoes, veggies, whole wheat bread, whole grain cereals, etc. The only exception would be postworkout where high GI carbs should be used along with a protein source like whey.

-Spread your calories over 5-6 smaller meals per day eating every 2-3 hours. Also don't forget to take in adequate amounts of water, and 1 gallon per day would be a good place to start.

-Adjust your daily calories up or down in small increments each week until you are losing/gaining the desired amount of weight each week. For example, if you are currently trying to lose weight and your maintenance calories are about 2500 cals per day, then decrease your cals by about 300 cals. This would put you at about 2200 cals per day. Keep cals at this level for one week and then at the end of the week weigh yourself. Remember to weigh yourself at the same time each week, and first thing in the morning would be the best time IMO. If you have not lost the desired amount of weight decrease cals again. You can use a site like www.fitday.com to help you track your cals.

It looks as though your activity level is quite high and your cals seem to be pretty low. You have to make sure that you are taking in enough calories to support your current level of activity. Hve you though about trying one of the WBB routines listed on the main page? These are good routines and then you could stick to cardio 2-3 times per week on your off days.

bradley
06-07-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by drew
And make sure your eggs are whites only (if you're trying to lose weight).

I would definitely add in couple of whole eggs because his diet is lacking fat and egg yolks are a decent source of fat. Keeping total calories in mind is really what it boils down to when trying to lose weight, as long as you are taking in adequate protein and EFAs. Different food types and combinations can help as far as appetite control goes.

davidd
06-10-2003, 05:11 PM
what happens if you dont get enough calories?

i've stopped the running as my knee was starting to hurt again...

so now i'm doing

day 1: weights
day 2: bike
day 3: rest

i've also cut out the bread for the most part.

i see what i believe to be a big problem though....

from fitday.com:

biking day:

Calories Burned Today
source cals % total
Total: 4927
Basal: 1982 40%
Lifestyle: 1913 39%
Activities: 1032 21%

Calories Eaten Today (excluding 2 protein shakes @ 22g each)
source grams cals %total
Total: 991
Fat: 51 457 47%
Sat: 15 138 14%
Poly: 8 68 7%
Mono: 22 197 20%
Carbs: 55 188 19%
Fiber: 8 0 0%
Protein: 82 329 34%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

unless i'm not doing something right....

4927 is way bigger than 991

whats up with that?

also, didn't know what EFAs were in some of your replies. i gathered that it was good fat... but didn't know what it was.

thanks guys

david

oh, someone asked:

6' 0"
180 lbs
18 yrs old

(i think thats what you wanted by "stats")?

davidd
06-11-2003, 11:54 AM
bump

raniali
06-11-2003, 01:08 PM
oh my
you are consuming less than 1k cals forcing your body to burn its precious muscle away to fuel all your activities.
eat more. EFAs are essential fatty acids (the good fats) - such as fish oils, olive oil, pb and nuts.

GhettoSmurf
06-11-2003, 07:29 PM
bro, that isnt near enough calories for someone your size. if you dont eat enough calories, you can't gain muscle. instead, your body will start to catabolize itself (eat its own muslce) and you will lose muscle.

bradley
06-12-2003, 03:45 AM
David-

Post an example of what you eat in a typical day and that will be a good start.:)

GhettoSmurf
06-12-2003, 04:20 AM
also, i noticed your using fitday.com to not only count your food, but also your calories burned. remember, its just a rough estimate. IMO fitday is great for tracking food, but kinda sucks when trying to calculate daily activities.

davidd
06-12-2003, 06:43 AM
bradley:

I eat cereal for breakfast, a couple of scrambled eggs and 2 pieces of toast at 10:00, a ham/turkey/chicken sandwich for lunch, a protein shake at 3:00, and another sandwich for dinner.

also, i am going to start eating 2 spoonfuls of peanut butter and a cup of cashews

i think that bring it up to like 1700 calories....

better than 900 lol.

NO2
06-12-2003, 08:36 AM
since your tall u might want to bring up your cals to about 2000

im cutting now and my cals a day are around 2200.. and im still losing weight

gain: 2400 to 2600 cals
lose: 2200 to 1900 cals
thats sound about right to me

im tall also and when i was bulking i was taking around 3000 cals a day

so just stck to 1900 to 2000 cals and workout and u should be fine

u wanna gain or lose???

bradley
06-12-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by davidd
[BI eat cereal for breakfast, a couple of scrambled eggs and 2 pieces of toast at 10:00, a ham/turkey/chicken sandwich for lunch, a protein shake at 3:00, and another sandwich for dinner.

also, i am going to start eating 2 spoonfuls of peanut butter and a cup of cashews

i think that bring it up to like 1700 calories....

better than 900 lol. [/B]

That is getting better but you still need more protein and EFAs. I would recommend getting in ~180g of protein per day along with about 25-30% of your calories coming from fat (healthy sources). The peanut butter and cashews is a start but you will also need some source of omega 3 fats in your diet. You could add in some fish oil or maybe start eating some oily fish like salmon for one of your meals.

I still think your cals are too low but it is much better than 900. You should adjust your cals until you are losing a small amount of weight each week. I would recommend starting out at around 2000 cals at a minimum. If you find that calorie level turns out to be too high you can always cut cals a little. IMO it would be better to start high and work your way down rather than start too low.

You could always add in a couple more meals or increase the amount of food you are eating at each meal. Also some carbs pre/postworkout would not be a bad idea either along with some protein.

GhettoSmurf
06-12-2003, 09:54 AM
yes, it would really help to know exactly what you are trying to achive. you say you want a more "chisled" look. so are you saying that you are pretty fat and want to lose some fat? or are you pretty skinny and looking to gain some muscle?

davidd
06-12-2003, 10:08 AM
haha ghettosmurf thats a good point i never clarified that haha

yea i have what i would consider "enough" muscle, knowing more will come naturally with all these weights i'm starting to do.. but the main concern is the annoying "waist/stomach" fat going on..

i have decent ab muscles but they are just covered up :)

thats really my first goal, then after that i can bulk up a bit, but right now i'm trying to loose the mid-section

i mean i'm not like FAT, but its just not that nice flat look.

thanks for all the advice