PDA

View Full Version : Motivation needed. Apply within.

tikkirulz
06-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Greetings, all,

haven't been around in a while (work + school = suck). I am starting to stress out about my look as of late.

I am starting to feel like I am getting out of shape. I don't think I look as defined around the midsection as I used to, my clothes don't seem to fit right, and my self esteem seems to be going down with it.

I lift twice a week and cardio four days. My food choices aren't 100% strict, but I try my best. I usually eat a cup of oats, and 2 eggs for breakfast, a protein bar for lunch, subway 6" roast chicken on wheat mid afternoon, and dinner varies b/w cooking something or just getting something in a drive thru.

Any ideas what I can do to try and right my path? I don't want to be excessively huge or like a magazine cover, but I do want to look at least in shape and not ashamed to look in the mirror ;)

SoulOfKoRea
06-07-2003, 01:15 PM
try eating 5-6 smaller meals instead of 3-4 larger ones, or you could have 3 small meals with snacks in between them

eat every 2.5-3 hours

GhettoSmurf
06-07-2003, 01:55 PM
this is a copy of a post made by bradley on quite a few recent threads.

Here are some general dieting guidelines that might be of some help:
1) 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight and try and get some protein in at each meal

2) 25-30% of daily calories should come from fat (Essential fatty
acids making up most of this total)

3) Fill in the rest of daily calories with low glycemic index carbs, except postworkout which would ideally include high glycemic index carbs along with a quick digesting protein (whey protein).

4) Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and one gallon would be good starting point.

Listed below are some good sources of each macronutrient. This is just a small list and is by no means all inclusive.

protein sources: eggs, chicken, lean beef, dairy, fish

low GI carbs: oats, sweet potatoes, beans, whole wheat bread, vegetables

fats: nuts, natural peanut butter, oily fish (such as salmon), fish oil, flax oil, hemp oil, olive oil

To find out how many cals you should be eating each day I would slowly decrease cals in small increments until you are losing the desired amount of weight each week (approximately 1lb per week is a good number IMO). You can use www.fitday.com to help you track calories if you like. Here is an example of what I mean. Say you are eating 3000 cals and maintaining your weight then you would need to decrease cals by a small amount (about 200-300). That would put you at 2700 cals for the week. Keep cals at this level for the week and then weigh yourself at the end of the week and see how much weight you have lost. I woud weigh myself at the same time each week to try and ensure the most accurate measurement.

As far as routines go you might want to check out one of the WBB routines on the main page. The following site has a list of exercise illustrations that might be helpful as well www.exrx.net

There is a lot of information in previous threads as well. Run some searches and you will find a lot of answers to your questions.

J450n
06-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by tikkirulz
I lift twice a week and cardio four days.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tikkirulz
Any ideas what I can do to try and right my path? I don't want to be excessively huge or like a magazine cover, but I do want to look at least in shape and not ashamed to look in the mirror ;)

Doing 3 days 'lifting' won't do you any harm.. You won't suddenly become a monster/tree wrestler overnight :D

Mic Soloist
06-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Just focus on lifting 3 or 4 times a week and hitting Legs, Back, and Chest, along with the smaller muscles, and try not to eat at the drive throughs.

I feel you on the self esteem. I mean I know I am a decent looking guy. I have a beautiful girlfriend of 4.5 years and I am in pretty good shape. But I often find myself obsessing over the way I look. It isn't good but in todays society of magazine covers and MTV idols it is hard to be proud of your body unless you are a male Barbie figure.... that isn't real life though. Look at other guys. I work at a big mall and I see fat ass dudes come in all day with hot girls and I know these lazy ass dudes just smoke weed and eat all day. Those of us who choose to take our asses to the gym and try to improve our health/looks have nothing to be ashamed of bro. And I know how it is to work and go to school while trying to stay in shape. It's fukkin hard. You get to school and unless you pack up a meal to eat you gotta choose between the golden arches or a vending machine.... then when you need to be at home to study you are trying to work in a 30 minute routine at the gym but it's hard to find the time.

Just stay focused and try not to worry about it so much. That is what I keep telling myself. I am not huge and I dont have the perfect body. But when I have free time I am at the gym sweating and pushing weights and BUSTING my ass to improve my self. What else can you do.

Keep ya head up:thumbup:

-peace-

bryancore
06-07-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
this is a copy of a post made by bradley on quite a few recent threads.

Stealing Bradley's JOB???????? tuttut

tikkirulz
06-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist
I feel you on the self esteem. I mean I know I am a decent looking guy. I have a beautiful girlfriend of 4.5 years and I am in pretty good shape. But I often find myself obsessing over the way I look. It isn't good but in todays society of magazine covers and MTV idols it is hard to be proud of your body unless you are a male Barbie figure.... that isn't real life though. Look at other guys. I work at a big mall and I see fat ass dudes come in all day with hot girls and I know these lazy ass dudes just smoke weed and eat all day. Those of us who choose to take our asses to the gym and try to improve our health/looks have nothing to be ashamed of bro. And I know how it is to work and go to school while trying to stay in shape. It's fukkin hard. You get to school and unless you pack up a meal to eat you gotta choose between the golden arches or a vending machine.... then when you need to be at home to study you are trying to work in a 30 minute routine at the gym but it's hard to find the time.

Exactly. Luckily our Union is pretty good in the healthy choices categories, so I don't usually have to pack a full meal.

thanks for the tips. Let's see what I can do.

SoulOfKoRea
06-07-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist
I have a beautiful girlfriend of 4.5 years

tuttut pedifile! j/k, I know what you meant.... I hope ?

GhettoSmurf
06-07-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by bryancore

Stealing Bradley's JOB???????? tuttut

i figured he had posted it enough times. it was my turn to sound smart and post somthing worth-while for a change ;)

bryancore
06-07-2003, 05:57 PM
hahaha Gotcha:)

rise
06-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea

tuttut pedophile! j/k, I know what you meant.... I hope ?

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif

Mic Soloist
06-08-2003, 02:33 AM
We been together for 4.5 years....

I don't date toddlers.... usually

:hide:

SoulOfKoRea
06-08-2003, 08:15 AM
:)