PDA

View Full Version : 100% Whole Wheat Bread Crisis

JohnnyAutoParts
06-09-2003, 10:33 AM
Yup. So I've been consuming between 2-6 pieces daily of Arnold's 100% Whole Wheat Bread for the past year and a half. It looked like the best wheat bread I could buy at the grocery store--the first ingredient is whole wheat flour, not enriched fake stuff. The protein content was higher than the other wheat breads I looked at...it was 5g per slice, but the label now only states 4g suspiciously. Anyway, today for the first time ever, being the idiot I am, noticed that high fructose corn syrup is the 3rd ingredient on the list!!! HFCS is one of the worst substances you can possibly consume, yet its found in almost every product at traditional grocery stores....

1.) Do you guys avoid HFCS like the plague? Or am I overreacting?

2.) Is there a better WW bread out there? Or do I have to go to one of those artsy fartsy hippie stores to find bread w/o HFCS.

bradley
06-09-2003, 10:37 AM
How many grams of sugar are in the bread? I would imagine it is only a few and probably nothing to worry about IMO.

JohnnyAutoParts
06-09-2003, 03:36 PM
There are 3g of sugar per slice. Should I limit myself to X number of slices a day?

bradley
06-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyAutoParts
There are 3g of sugar per slice. Should I limit myself to X number of slices a day?

Fructose really does not cause any problems unless you are eating 50+ grams a day. IMO I would not worry about that small amount, because at the most you are only taking in ~18g of fructose a day.

SoulOfKoRea
06-09-2003, 04:57 PM
I have like 6 slices(3 sandwiches) a day too :)

Madd Hatter
06-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Ok, that's just freaky, I could have made the exact same thread with the exact same post. I had my mom gave me her breadmaker, but I don't think that's going to be very easy. 6 hours to make, only makes 8 slices, and just as expensive in the end (I think). A different grocery store sells their bakery WW bread that apparently doesn't have HFCS, but I don't go to that store! Maybe I'll just stick with my crappy fattening WW bread.

Saint Patrick
06-10-2003, 02:16 AM
I usually avoid HFCS like the plague, but 3g/slice is no big deal.