PDA

View Full Version : Herc's Training Blog

Pages : [1] 2

Herc
06-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Well, I decided to begin another log. I figure this time I知 going to do a more free form format as I hate doing the set / reps / weight thing. So, we will see what I come up with as we go along.

Before we get into things I値l do a little back-story. All through High School and College I was thin and out of shape. Big time Geek stuff. I was always self conscious and wanted to get in shape, but never could get it all to come together with any results to keep me motivated enough to keep up with it. Graduated and got a job, got busy with living the rat race and dabbled with training on and off. Never did figure out the whole diet AND exercise connection so again on and off again machine workouts with no change in diet = Herc still thin with no results.

Fast forward to 1999. Working insane hours on a Millennium project for the mouse, living off of Oreos and chocolate milk and little to no sleep = Herc gets geek gut. Luckily, beginning in Feb. 2000 I started to get sent on extended back to back Business trips to Japan. Turns out you have a lot of free time when TV is in Japanese. The hotel had an attached athletic club that I began to visit nightly (nothing better to do) and my diet fixed itself seeing as what you eat in Japan is rice and fish 3-4 meals a day /w sushi snacks in between. Lo and behold I began to make gains. Motivation was off the hook seeing as I知 62 so even with my modest gains I was the 澱ig guy in the gym. (ok so the cliental was also old Japanese business men, but hey). This went on until June 2001 and I went from 175ish to 195ish with little increase in body fat (no reduction either). I joined a gym back home and been making moderate gains through bulks and cuts (some intentional some unintentional) and am generally happy with my progress. I bought a house back in December and the joys of homeownership have been keeping me busy on the weekends and acting as my new cardio workout. I also cut back from a 5 day split to a 4 day split so I could have Wed. nights to do chores and have friends over for dinner. Of course the day I cut out of the routine was leg day, and now the ghost of chicken legs past is rearing its ugly head.

Today: Right now I知 1 week into a 2-week layoff due to an 妬nterior/posterior shoulder impingement according to the physical therapist. It is actually going to look more like a 2-month layoff since I actually hurt my shoulder laying a new patio back in April and was forced cut down on all my 菟ressing weights due to the pain / weakness. I致e been doing some rotator cuff exercises, but I don稚 think I値l be pain-free by the end of the week - so here痴 my plan.
Focus on legs for the next month. Squats and Machines, no deads until the shoulder is healed, but just working legs again will be a challenge in itself. I値l do some light upper body work on Tues and Fri, but Mon and Thurs will be killer leg days. When the shoulder is better I start kicking the upper body back into gear and I値l be back in the game no time.
Short-term goal is to get weights back to where they were with no shoulder pain
Long-term goals is a maintainable 195 with < 10% bodyfat
釘efore stats and pics to follow soon.

BennettBoy
06-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Cool. Another journal to........:spam:

Hey, and I'd want you to morph a picture of mine once Frannie gets them back and I choose the "right one".....please. :p

heathj
06-09-2003, 12:24 PM
Sounds like quite the transformation from what you once were way back in your geek days. Good luck with the shoulder and have fun with the leg workouts! Leg workouts = :drooling:
And don't go morphing your before/after pics..:p

:spam:

Herc
06-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Bennett - No prob. the best is to e-mail me an original with no compression.

:thumbup:

and thanks for visiting my journal man :cry: that's so cool

Herc
06-09-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by heathj
Sounds like quite the transformation from what you once were way back in your geek days. Good luck with the shoulder and have fun with the leg workouts! Leg workouts = :drooling:
And don't go morphing your before/after pics..:p

Actually, it's really hard to morph your own pics 'cause your brain won't let you think it looks right. (does that make sense?)

Trust me, I've tried.

Alex.V
06-09-2003, 12:35 PM
Squat jockey. :p

:D Good luck, man. Nice to see the premiere lurker finally starting one of these!

Herc
06-09-2003, 12:41 PM
B- thanks for droping by, we'll see how long it takes before my lurking instincts kick back in...

GhettoSmurf
06-09-2003, 07:53 PM
good luck bro. have some :spam: :D

pruneman
06-09-2003, 08:03 PM
A hearty GOOD LUCK to you!

RG570
06-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Belial
Squat jockey.

tuttut

I love your journal title.

Herc
06-10-2003, 08:48 AM
Well thanks to everyone who has stopped by my log. There is not a whole lot to report on the work out front seeing as I知 not jumping into leg insanity until next week. However, I do have a gripe to share.

A good friend of mine is visiting from Paris. She is a show director from the Disneyland park there and two of her previous bosses are now located in Florida. Anyway one of them arranged a dinner last night at a fairly nice local restaurant. We arrived early and ordered a bottle of very nice wine ($80) and some water. Others showed up (6 total) and we shared our wine with them and finished the bottle. The table became available and I closed out our bar tab ($112). We go to the table and one of the bosses orders some mid-level ($40) wine and we decide to share appetizers all around since one of the bosses and his date have already eaten dinner and must leave early. Appetizers are eaten, two more bottles of nicer wine ($55) are ordered (only one drunk at this point), diners ordered by the 4 who are having dinner and the first boss needs to leave. We get the total for the full check and he graciously settles for 1/3 of the pre-tip check ($110) even though he is not eating a salad course or an entr馥 or having any of the last bottle of wine.

And then there were four. I opt for just an entr馥, my friend from Paris has a salad and entr馥, the remaining boss has the same, and his guest has two appetizers (soup and salad).
Time to settle the check. ($283). Remaining boss (who organized the event) says lets pay for what we ate and then divide the rest evenly. Fine by me, a little disappointed he is not treating but whatever. Boss痴 guest says 努ell technically I didn稚 drink any of the last bottle of wine. I keep my mouth shut. Boss then goes looking at me 努ell technically you致e already paid for a bottle. I smile and say 努ell let me at least put in for my food and proceed to put in $50 for my $30-ish entr馥. My friend from Paris puts in for her food plus some extra for the split costs $70. Boss puts in the SAME as me $50 (no split cost and he had the SAME as my friend) and his guest puts in $40.

So here we are with $210 + the $110 the first boss left so that leaves like a 12% tip, when the waitress has already put up with multiple checks and payouts and a party of 6 who blocked a table for a good 3 hours. I知 already in for $112 at the bar, $50 at the table, and my guest, who was the reason for the gathering, is in for $70. The remaining boss (who makes more than me and my friend put together AND organized the event) is cheeping out on us and is only in for $50 himself and his guest is in for $40.

Anyway, so here痴 the question. Should I care? Do I have a right to be pissed even a little? Should the organizing boss have paid? Should I have paid more? Since it was my choice to order and share the expensive wine at the bar, should it have no bearing on the check at the table?

So there is my vent for the day, let me know what you think.

ectx
06-10-2003, 03:00 PM
The boss invites and chooses...the boss pays. At least that's how it works in my book. You can't enforce your taste's in expensive food and drink on the people you invite. At my last employee meal we spent over $800 on food and drink and the boss picked up the tab. At the very least he/she should have picked up the tab for drinks.

ectx
06-10-2003, 03:01 PM
....ps...almost forgot...

:spam: Glad to see you have a journal up. Will you be using any HercTech? LOL

Herc
06-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Since my friend from Paris has been in Orlando I致e been spending a lot of time in the parks and tourist attractions around town. I have to say I am aghast at the condition of most of the people in the country. You know you hear about the obesity problem in the US, but it never really hits home until you go into a theme park in June. Let me tell you it 疎int pretty. Cellulite and guts all covered in sweat, not to mention the people who have just given up walking all together because they are over weight. I understand that there are conditions out there that can cause weight gain, but really; 60% of the population? My favorite is the fat parents with the fat kids walking around scarfing ice cream bars and French fries between every ride. Can we not put 2 and 2 together here? If you eat crap and sit on you池e a$$ you are going to gain fat.

So after a day or two of the fat parade I started really taking notice of people. Now understand that this is all colored by the fact that I致e not been able to work out and am suffering from workout withdrawal and 妬ncredible shrinking muscles syndrome

One thing I noticed was the number of people who if they just did a minimal 30 min a day, 3 times a week of *anything* they could look pretty good not to mention be healthier (appear healthier?). Girls who just needed to get a little weight off their faces and to reduce the roll around their middle, guys with pencil arms and no torsos with moderate guts people who have their eating under control and just needed a little gym time to bring it all together. I just wanted to scream at them, 妬t痴 not that hard, just a little activity and you値l feel SO much better physically and mentally

The other thing I noticed is the widening of the 吐itness gap. The people who don稚 work out seem to be in much worse shape and the people who do work out are in much better shape. You have this whole class of the obese, a middle ground of people who aren稚 fat but have no muscle, like I described above, and then a class of people in really great shape. The people who you spotted who worked out REALLY worked out. Girls and women from high school to soccer moms, if they were fit they were REALLY fit, same thing was true with the guys. If they lifted it was obvious they lifted.

So I started to wonder is there a perception keeping that middle ground out of the gym? that it takes so much work, or chemical help, or genetics, to be fit that they shouldn稚 even bother. If they can稚 look like that cover model or that person on TV that there is no point in even trying? Is there a new upper class based on fitness level, which is just as intimidating as the old financial classes? I know I felt some intimidation even buying fitness magazines before I started working out regularly, much less entering or joining a gym. Even today after almost 3 years of training and 2 years of warming up bench press with plates, there are still big guys in the gym that I don稚 start up a conversation with because they are bigger and have been training longer than I have. I知 sure these are perfectly normal nice guys, but there is a perceived barrier there, at least on my part. So is that what the country is trending toward an ever widening gap between the fit and the not so fit. We know that fat people are discriminated against in the work place and attractive people get preferential treatment. So as fitness level becomes more and more attached to physical attractiveness (especially for men) are we creating a new caste system? No longer of the have and have-nots but of the active and the in-active?

Anyway just some observations and ramblings

Oh and I thought of an ad campaign
KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL JOIN A GYM

WillKuenzel
06-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Herc

Oh and I thought of an ad campaign
KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL JOIN A GYM

:thumbup: You damn straight!

Tryska
06-11-2003, 03:08 PM
i notice it too herc. especially when i'm not in atlanta. everyone seems to be so insanely fat.

especially when you see several generations - actually i see them ont he way to the movie theater a lot, eating crap and waddling on. i don't know that there's a class distinction as of yet, necessarily, but i know there is definitely the perception that being fit is not soemthing "everyone" can do.

Herc
06-12-2003, 08:33 AM
It just makes me sad / mad when you have the new militant fat people who want the world to change to accomodate them and they don't take responsibility for their own condition.

Also, having been one of the skinny geek kids, I remember the real desire I had to be in better shape, yet never felt like that was a world I could even begin to be a part of. I think also in the 80's there was so little available mainstream knowledge on how to workout correctly, so even if you made the first steps there were no results so you gave up.

Today there is so much available knowledge and help that most anyone who dedicates even a little time can see results, which of course motivates even better results.

Tryska
06-12-2003, 08:37 AM
what are oyu saying? Jane Fonda wasn't a good role model for you?

Herc
06-12-2003, 10:24 AM
Can't say that I was able to identify with Jane... now Richard Simmons on the other hand. j/k

Herc
06-13-2003, 01:48 PM
It is such a nice day outside today. I cannot even wait for the weekend! I知 thinking a little cardio outside after work in the form of mowing the lawn or rollerblade/jogging, and then I値l be free for the weekend.

Monday starts killer leg workouts. Even thought I probably won稚 be able to walk for a week I知 actually looking forward to them. Today is about my third 都mall day in a row. Totally mental I know, but everyone seems bigger than me and I知 sure I致e lost inches of every measurement. Anyway, I figure if I at least start lifting something heavy I can at least get myself out of this 都mall funk.

Enough about my deteriorating mental health I have my house back to myself, this weekend is going to be awesome (for no particular reason), and and Life is good.

Has anyone heard Matchbox 20痴 new-ish song impaired. I think that is the story of my life right now. SHOULDER INJURIES SUCK!!!

cphafner
06-13-2003, 08:40 PM
Herc, good luck with the journal. I agree shoulder injuries suck. I'm on a two week layoff from any upper body stuff(okay I did some bis today) because my shoulder has felt tender. I hate group eatins. Some people are always cheap and leave others to foot the bill. I also agree about the widening gap. I work at the mall(yes thats embarassing to say as a college grad), and I see so many people that are disgustingly out of shape. What kills me is that they walk around stuffing their face with ice cream and other junk foods. I guess to each their own.

cphafner
06-13-2003, 08:41 PM
p.s. I really enjoy the doctored photos, damn funny. Maybe you can doctor one of mine sometime...

IceRgrrl
06-16-2003, 10:07 AM

The other thing I noticed is the widening of the 吐itness gap. The people who don稚 work out seem to be in much worse shape and the people who do work out are in much better shape. You have this whole class of the obese, a middle ground of people who aren稚 fat but have no muscle, like I described above, and then a class of people in really great shape. The people who you spotted who worked out REALLY worked out. Girls and women from high school to soccer moms, if they were fit they were REALLY fit, same thing was true with the guys. If they lifted it was obvious they lifted.

So I started to wonder is there a perception keeping that middle ground out of the gym? that it takes so much work, or chemical help, or genetics, to be fit that they shouldn稚 even bother. If they can稚 look like that cover model or that person on TV that there is no point in even trying? Is there a new upper class based on fitness level, which is just as intimidating as the old financial classes?

Glad to see the start of another fine journal...keep up the good work and intelligent musings :)

I think you brought up a good point in your post about the widening of the fitness gap...it IS happening just as it is happening in other aspects of life.

Public school funding is being cut and cut and cut, and along with teachers and librarians and support staff, schools are forced to cut programs like music, art, and PE to the point of ridiculousness. At the public school where my mom teaches, the kids who are not in athletics get 30 minutues of Physical Education each week...not per day, only 30 MINUTES each week! That's really sad in an era when kids are more inactive and fatter than ever before. Kids don't play outside much anymore, don't ride bikes over to friends' houses, or get other neighborhood kids together to play/invent games...and they eat more junk food and fast food and are thus in worse shape. And 30 minutes of PE during the school year isn't enough to make a difference or to breed good activity habits.

BUT schools still continue to fund athletics and spend on sports programs, so now you have a polarized spectrum of elite athletes who get a lion's share of the resources and time vs. sedentary kids who get 30 minutes of activity a week, and for some, that's the most activity they ever get.

But the same is happening with jobs and education...a widening gap between two extremes and not a lot in between anymore. Either parents have enough money to send their kids to private school OR they move to a wealthy school district with excellent public schools. Those who can't afford a ritzy address or private schools languish in underfunded public schools that can't afford new textbooks or updated technology or programs and deal with more social problems than academic ones.

And jobs...these days either you're part of the educated elite who are benefitting from technology and globalization or you're a victim of it and have to work several jobs or a job with little security or limited benefits. I think it's a widespread phenomenon.

I just remembered an article that I ran across that talked about this same thing...it was about "the U curve" which is replacing the concept of the bell curve or normal distribution to describe socioeconomic phenomenon like income, eduation, health, etc. Instead of small numbers in the extremes (poor/rich, uneducated/very educated, healthy/fit vs. obese, unfit) and a large amount in the middle or center, it's the opposite now...large numbers at either end of the spectrum and not a lot in the middle...I'll see if I can track it down.

Anyways, sorry to clutter up yout journal. I read your entry last week and it just got me thinking further about some things I myself had been noticing and thinking about. :)

Herc
06-16-2003, 12:10 PM
Cphafner - thanks for droping by. sorry to hear about the injury. Ain't it a B!tch. Either send a pic or post one and the next time I get in a Herc-Tech advertizing blitz I'll give it a shot.

IceRgrrl- Great post! I 've not heard the U curve theory before, but I think it describes what I'm talking about perfectly.

Herc
06-16-2003, 12:11 PM
Well, I broke down and took some pics this weekend. At first I must say I was feeling pretty good about myself until I compared them to some older pics I had. I have definitely shrunk. More than just that I my muscles were cold, more than I致e been off creatine, we are talking actual LBM lost here. I knew that I had been taking it easy in the gym due to the shoulder for the last couple of months, but WOW, I never realized how quickly I could burn off muscle.

Anyway, after the pic comparison I decided to do a full scale weigh in to see how bad the damage was. Most all measurements are off by anywhere from a ス to an 1. And my weight is down by a good 8-10 lbs.

So, I decided to use these pics and weigh in a big time motivation to rehab the shoulder and put back on that LBM I lost. Today will be my first Leg workout. And I am trying to develop a shoulder friendly upper body workout to stop the muscle loss.

Here痴 the Leg exercises, I値l post weights tomorrow after I dial them in.

Smith Squats
Hack Squats
Leg Curls
Leg Extensions

I would love to do deads, but seeing that is how I messed up the shoulder in the first place (lifting bags of rocks and patio pavers) I知 going to lay off until the rehab is complete.

Here are the stats from the weigh in.

Weight: 182
Height: 62
Neck: 15.5
Shoulders: 50
Chest: 41
Waist: 33
R. Bi: 15.5
L. Bi: 15.5
R. Fore 12.25
L. Fore 12.25
R. Quad 23.25
L. Quad 23
R. Calf 15.5
L. Calf 15.5

Pics Follow in no particular order. Arms and shoulders suck big time right now

Herc
06-16-2003, 12:12 PM
full body

Herc
06-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Front side

Herc
06-16-2003, 12:13 PM
Bi

Herc
06-16-2003, 12:14 PM
Bi-tri

Herc
06-16-2003, 12:14 PM
wheels

Herc
06-16-2003, 12:15 PM
calfs

Herc
06-16-2003, 12:15 PM
back

Herc
06-16-2003, 12:16 PM
An attempt at the pose pegan did.

Mik
06-16-2003, 12:18 PM
Pics are lookin' good Herc. Wish I had those abs.

Wikked1
06-16-2003, 12:18 PM
Looking pretty lean dude what's your BF%?

WillKuenzel
06-16-2003, 12:21 PM
Looking good Herc! Really lean. Like you mentioned your shoulders and arms could use a little work but until you get everything healed I wouldn't worry about it. Its not like they look puny or anything though.

Abs and legs look really good! You definitely doing something right man.

Herc
06-16-2003, 12:29 PM
Hey, thanks everyone.

HY - I was kinda supprised how good my legs came out in the pics. I think I just got a couple of good shots, 'cause the measurements are nothing impressive for my height - and inseam for that matter.

BF % is right about 12% according to my tanata piece of Sh!t bodyfat scale.

BennettBoy
06-16-2003, 02:50 PM
Not bad for a GT frat boy :p

Seriously, you look good. Your legs do look good and and your arms aren't as bad as you think. I'm not sure I had ever seen any pics of you before, but I will say I didn't visualize you had even as much LBM as you have now. And you are correct, it is so sad how quickly you can lose it if you don't train consistently and diet properly.

That's the part of BB I don't like. It don't seem fair you work so hard to get where you are and then an injury or anything and you can lose alot quick.

Herc
06-16-2003, 02:56 PM
BB-

Thanks for the comments. Here's the pic I was comparing to. It was from Sept. 2001 after my initial gains from time in Japan.

BennettBoy
06-16-2003, 02:59 PM
Nice. I'm impressed. Very good job. Now surpass that.

Herc
06-16-2003, 03:00 PM
Here's a back shot from the same day (as if the sunburn didn't give it away)

Herc
06-16-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by BennettBoy
Nice. I'm impressed. Very good job. Now surpass that.

So you see what I mean... I basicaly stayed that size or bigger for the last couple of years - maintenance with minimal gains-

Here's a comparison - These are taken from Sept 01, Feb 02, and June 03. Body fat got better, but LBM has disappeared also.

Don't you worry though, I'm gettin' it all back with interest :thumbup:

Herc
06-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Comp shot

Franjipani
06-16-2003, 08:33 PM
Pics are looking great Herc:thumbup:

Now I know who to look out for tomorrow ;)

Whooo hoooo I'm ever so excited :D

rookiebldr
06-16-2003, 08:50 PM
Herc, nice to see you starting a journal. I think I'll just :lurk:

p.s. nice pics and great comparison. You have definitely lost the bf from the middle one and with my uninformed eye I'd say might have lost some lbm as well. I'm sure it will come back quickly though and surpass where you were.

Herc
06-17-2003, 08:47 AM
Yeh,

Fatloss = good
LBM loss = bad

I'm all about the clean bulk once the shoulder gets better.

I'm meeting Frannie in about 15 mins. I take some pics and post them soon.

Tryska
06-17-2003, 08:59 AM
damn - those calf shots are fabulous! :D

you're lookin great as usual, man!

Wikked1
06-17-2003, 09:12 AM
That sun burn looks like you got baked!
Sorry man but I'll bet you felt that for a few days!
Nice comparison pics......you say BF% around 12? Damn it looks like sub 10!

Relentless
06-17-2003, 09:30 AM
looking lean and pretty solid, herc

if I'm not mistaken, you can actually see a lot more vascularity in your pecs and shoulders/arms in the latest pic... calves are also clearly a strong point; delts also look pretty good in terms of shape and proportion

if I had to pick something to criticize, I'd say your lats could use some extra work, but other than that ya look sharp, mate!

good luck with the clean bulk!

steveo
06-17-2003, 12:26 PM
hey herc you're looking pretty lean. Awesome work.

Coke
06-17-2003, 12:52 PM
Excellent pics Herc - You have done some good work :)

Herc
06-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Try - thanks I did the calf shots for you baby!

wikked - Oh yea, was burnt peeled and was burnt underneith. Sucked BIG time. I think the % is probably right. What you are not seeing that well is the belt of fat around my lower abs and back. My upper abs always show.

Cal - Thanks Man. I appreciate the comments. yea I've always had good calves I also train them heavy and fast to get them to respond.

Stevo - thanks

CoCoa - still more work to do, but thanks a lot

Herc
06-17-2003, 01:41 PM
The day after.

Well I did my first leg workout last night. I had to go back to Dec. in my training log to find my last one. So needless to say, I知 sore and it is going to be worse tomorrow.

Here痴 the workout. Major Wimpy for sure, but every journey starts with one step.

Exercise - weight/reps

Smith Squats 90/12, 140/10, 160/8, 180/6
Freemotion Hack 180/12, 200/10, 220/8, 240/6
Prone Leg Curl 90/12, 100/10, 110/8, 120/6
Leg Extension 90/12, 100/10, 110/8, 120/6

Like I said nothing special. Leg extensions were light so I値l go up up in weight next week. Everything else we値l see.

Tonight I知 working out with Frannie check member pics for photos and I figure I値l do arms and abs. I知 a little concerned about what exercises I値l be able to do with the shoulder hurting, but we値l see. I知 going to try the following

Dips probably can稚 do these
Overhead cable extensions
Pulldowns
Cable kickbacks
Barbell curl not sure about these
Preacher curls either going to be fine or terrible
Dumbbell curls
Hanging leg raises know this I can稚 do
Decline reverse curls
Decline curls

Diet has been good. I get into the details on another day.

Tryska
06-17-2003, 02:06 PM
:clap: woohoo! i love that i got y'all trained to fulfil my fetishes liek this! *lol*

actually one of these dyas i'm gonna have to pick your brain about orlando again, herc.

Herc
06-17-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
:clap: woohoo! i love that i got y'all trained to fulfil my fetishes liek this! *lol*

actually one of these dyas i'm gonna have to pick your brain about orlando again, herc.

Anytime baby, me and my calves are waiting ;)

RG570
06-18-2003, 02:02 AM
(dont touchhis calves)

Budiak
06-18-2003, 03:08 AM
Seems to me that your shoulder problem did some damage, man. your chest looks as if it has lost some mass and so do your delts, but everything else looks great.

Herc
06-19-2003, 09:00 AM
Well Tuesday痴 workout went really well. Frannie and I went to my gym and while she did cardio I was able to do most everything I planned to do. My legs are hella sore and I致e go 堵ood soreness in my arms and shoulders.

Weights are pretty uninspiring, but I wanted to keep it light and see how my shoulder responded.
*all weights are minus bar where applicable

Dips bw/12, bw/10, bw/10
Overhead Ext. 50/12, 60/6, 50/6 - had to keep super strict form or these killed.
Tri Pushdown 50/12, 55/10, 60/8
Cbl. Kickback 35/8, 30/9, 25/10
EZ Preacher 20/15, 30/10, 35/8
Dumbell Curl 30/6, 25/8, 20/10 -30 sec rest in between each set
Hanging Obliq. bw/10, bw/10, bw/10
Decline Rev. bw/8, bw/4, bw/4, bw/4* -extra set cause I was such a wimp.
Decline Crunch bw/10, bw/10, bw/10

I知 planning on doing some Cardio today to blast the soreness out of my legs, calves, and Big time stretching. That痴 all for now.

Maybe I値l have some interesting musings later.

Franjipani
06-19-2003, 05:13 PM
Decline Rev. bw/8, bw/4, bw/4, bw/4* -extra set cause I was such a wimp.

Good Lord Herc.....what have you done to me??? I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever been so sore in my abs before. Laughing is excruciating & I'm unable to even BREATHE without pain.:eek: ;)

Herc
06-20-2003, 08:51 AM
Sore abs ROCK!!!

No matter what you do you know if you have been HARDCORE on ab day.

I warned you about the feeling like you had ruptured something level of soreness after the ab routine.

Wikked1
06-20-2003, 09:05 AM
Nice work Herc......I think from my reading I like the sounds of your abs *cough* torture *cough* I mean work out.....sucks about the shoulder dude but the dips look GOOD!

JustinF
06-20-2003, 09:06 AM
Nice couple of session bro. Pics look good! Great job. Sorry I can't make it down this year, but more than likely I'll be going down next year. I'll let ya know should that happen.

Herc
06-24-2003, 11:04 AM
Kinda funny how once you have workouts in your life, you don't need to sublimate with other less productive passtimes spaming journals and writing creative musings in your own (another form of spam really :D)

Did Legs yesterday
Squats 90/12, 140/10, 160/8, 180/6 Same as last week
Hacks 200/12, 220/10, 240/8, 260/8 +20lbs weight and 2 extra reps on last set
Prone Curl 90/12, 100/10, 110/8, 125/6 +5lbs weight on last set
Leg extension 100/12, 110/10, 120/8, 130/6 +10lbs all sets

Doing arms and Abs today. I知 going to keep Wed as an off day (actually cardio since I have to mow the lawn twice a week in the summer). Thursday will be real Cardio and Calves. And Friday by default should be chest and back..
So is doing chest and back on the same day stupid? I am in shoulder rehab mode so weights will be fairly light with controlled form, so I don稚 think I値l be sacrificing one or by putting it after the other. Or should I super set them

Humm

Later

Franjipani
06-24-2003, 11:11 AM
Doing arms and Abs today

:help:

I'm so very impressed with the pain you inflicted on me last week that I'm going to do the very same thing to Bennett later:evillaugh

WillKuenzel
06-24-2003, 11:11 AM
There are plenty of people that seem to have some good benefits with doing chest and back together. The WBB routines recommend it. I don't prefer it but that doesn't mean that it don't work.

If I was doing it that way, I would probably superset them but alternate which muscle group I did first for the different exercises. Like bench and bentover rows, then pull-ups and incline db's or something like that.

But if you are recovering from a shoulder injury then it might be best just to try and do them individually so you can better gauge how your shoulder is reacting.

My 2「 at least. :)

Herc
06-24-2003, 12:44 PM
HY- thanks for the input. I think I'm going to take your advice and try them individually, I let you know how it works out.

Frannie - Make sure he does them correctly. On the reverses it should be heals over hips and no cheating! Bennett - give her a couple sets too!

BennettBoy
06-24-2003, 02:00 PM
Damn.....chest/tris and abs? We will be in the gym for 2 hours. :p

I'll makes sure she does some ab work as well.......bank on it!!!

Herc
06-26-2003, 07:55 AM
Forgot to post this yesterday

Tuesday Workout

Dips bw/12, bw/10, bw/10
Overhead Ext. 50/11, 55/8, 50/8 adjusted weight and reps to keep form
Tri Pushdown 50/12, 60/10, 65/8 +5lbs on set 2 & 3
Barbell Curl bar/15, 20/8, 10/10 cbls busy so jumped to these
Cbl. Kickback 35/8, 40/9, 45/8 +10lbs on sets 2, +20lbs on set 3
EZ Preacher 20/15, 30/6, 35/5 - 4 reps on 2 & 3 fatigue from BB curls
Dumbell Curl 30/6, 25/8, 20/10 30 sec rest in between each set
Decline Rev. bw/8, bw/6, bw/6,

Minor Doms from Mon. leg workout so I知 feeling pretty good. Today I知 doing some Cardio and Calves along with Forearms and shoulder rehab work.

Later

Franjipani
06-26-2003, 09:05 AM
Decline Rev. bw/8, bw/6, bw/6,

*shudders at the memory of this torture* :eek:

heehee..I'm certainly going to incorporate the hanging obliq stuff....I need a spotter to help with the decline rev. stuff though...:).

Best done on a cardio day me thinks ! I died last time.....

Herc
06-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Ab work is good for the soul.

Wikked1
06-26-2003, 09:15 AM
The more I read about this AB *torture* the more I want to investigate. I'm due for abs tonight (after legs) and it's gonna be hell but I'm looking forward to it......I am curious about the hanging oblique stuff.....can you explain it so I understand what it is?
You might tell me I'm wrong but it seems like the shoulder doesn't hurt your dips too much! Nice workout!

Herc
06-26-2003, 10:28 AM
Kinda hard to explain, but here it goes.

Hang like you would for hanging leg lifts. Now rais your legs until they are parallel to the floor (knees bent for beginners, knees straight for experienced). Now crunch yout obliques, your hip should move toward your armpit (imagine you are pinned through your belly button and your hips are moving side to side) DON"T SWING that's cheating! you want a very controlled crunch to the left then atlernate to the right.

I'm going to search for some pics.

Herc
06-26-2003, 10:39 AM
It looks kinda like the hanging knee raises here but you just go side to side

http://www.human-performance.com/ABS.pdf

Wikked1
06-26-2003, 11:11 AM
Cool I get it.....I'll give it a try if the gym is fairly empty......(don't want to look goofy when it's packed) and considering it's sweltering today it SHOULD be empty. Thanks :)

Herc
06-27-2003, 12:36 PM
Did a 20-30 min. jog around the neighborhood last night and shoulder rehab in the pool. Nothing special.

Gonna do some chest and back experimenting tonight. I値l let everyone know how it goes.

Herc
06-30-2003, 08:22 AM
Had a relaxing turned boring weekend. Weather report said rain all weekend so I didn稚 make any plans, and then of course I got maybe a light shower on Sunday evening. Wenr to go see Hollywood Homicide which was pretty 礎lah overall, bought a couple CDs and read books the rest of the time.

Oh, actually I think I am going to join a new Gym today. There is a new Gold痴 being built right up the street from my new place and they are offering $27 memberships for a year and then +$5 locked in for life when the year is up. (yea, yea I wanna see it in writing too.) Or the $27 is locked in if you get someone to join within 7 days of signing up yourself. (again in writing please) Right now they are in their temp location while the full location is being constructed next door. Hence the discount, but even the temp location is better for what I do than my current gym. They have plenty of free weights plus the whole Hammer Strength line. Not to mention evne at $32 it is $20 less than what I am paying now for a Gym with a indoor pool, full basketball court, and huge cardio rooms that I never use.

Chest back went OK on Fri. Had some serious discomfort on the pressing exercises, so the weights are super light, but I made it through. Even with the light weights I still got a pretty good workout since I was doing super slow reps. I even was a little sore on Sat.

Here痴 the workout

Cybex 2-axis bench
50/20
70/15
90/10
Decline Dumbell
35/12
40/10
45/10
Cable Crossovers
25/15
30/10
35/8
Wide Grip Pulldwn
60/12
70/10
80/8
Low Rows
60/12
70/10
80/8
Dumbell Row
30/10
35/10
40/10

Realized how hard these were to read since I write them up in Word and paste them over, Hope this is better.

Today I might skip legs depending on my schedule so I can go Join up at the new Gym I値l let you know tomorrow.

Franj - Thanks for sharing all the Pics! Things here are good. Hope all is well with you. I'll try to E-mail a better update when I get some time! :thumbup:

Franjipani
06-30-2003, 08:34 AM
Franj - Thanks for sharing all the Pics! Things here are good. Hope all is well with you. I'll try to E-mail a better update when I get some time! :thumbup:

You are soooo very welcome...its the least I could do:D. I'd like to post up a pic of you doing that ab stuff actually. When HomeYield came over yesterday...I showed it to him....he can do it too:eek:. Strong abs from pole vaulting....

Sounds like a terrific deal on the gym front !!! However, I have never seen any other gym that gives the type of pampering experience as your's does currently though...:angel:.

Herc
06-30-2003, 08:49 AM
No prob on the pics, it kinda looks like I'm sitting on the other bench that is behind me though...

:D

Franjipani
06-30-2003, 11:12 AM
This is Herc in action on his crazy ab workout day......:eek:

Poor guy had to lift my legs up off the bench so I could do negatives...:D.

WillKuenzel
06-30-2003, 11:16 AM
No prob on the pics, it kinda looks like I'm sitting on the other bench that is behind me though...

LOL, I just noticed that. So you are cheating then?! :p

Is there a particular angle that you can press at that doesn't bother your shoulder? What kind of rehab work do they have you doing?

Herc
06-30-2003, 11:25 AM
Actually, on declines I don't have any pain really, just tightness. Inclines are not even an option. As far as rehab goes, it is mainly streching and super light rotator cuff exercises. Most are done with therabands or like 2 lb weights. Needless to say I do these at home, as I am not about to use the little pink weights for ANYTHING at the gym. :D

So could the guy in the background of that pic. look any more confused?

Franj - just cancelled my membership at Celebration over my lunch so I'm off to join Gold's after work.

Herc
07-01-2003, 08:55 AM
Well last night was my first workout at Gold痴. Going to a new Gym is sorta like going to an unfamiliar grocery store: you know everything you need is there, but you just can稚 find it. Needless to say, there was a lot of wondering around looking for machines and equipment I needed fro my leg workout. Luckily it was legs as most of those machines are easy to spot and configured the same way no matter who the manufacturer is.
Well there is definitely a different crowd at Gold痴 compared to my old gym. There are some seriously big guys AND girls who are working out there, even though it痴 still in the temporary space. Crowds will probably become a problem before the new areas open, but that is not necessarily a bad thing, as you do tend to meet people when you work in with them.

Anyway here痴 the leg workout

Smith Squats
90/12
140/10
180/8
230/5 +50 lbs since I was working in with someone on the smith machine
Hammer Strength Squat Machine *new machine so weights are lower than last week
140/12
160/10
180/8
200/8
Leg Extension
110/12
115/8
120/8
130/8
Prone Leg Curl
9/12
110/10
115/8
120/6
Decided to do some abs today even though they are scheduled for tommorrow
Roman Chair Twisting knee ups
Bw/12
Bw/12
Bw/12
Flat Bench Reverse Crunches *no free-standing decline bench
Bw/12
Bw/10
Bw/8

That痴 all Hopefully I can find the cereal isle soon:D

Franjipani
07-01-2003, 09:35 AM
Going to a new Gym is sorta like going to an unfamiliar grocery store: you know everything you need is there, but you just can稚 find it.

*lol*

I'm all too familiar with the above scenario;).

Congrats on your new membership..... I'm sure everybody will know who you are quick smart judging by the hoard of fans at your last gym:p

*bows to the abking* :bow:

Herc
07-01-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani

I'm sure everybody will know who you are quick smart judging by the hoard of fans at your last gym:p

*bows to the abking* :bow: \

It's all just smoke and mirrors :D

Herc
07-03-2003, 07:47 AM
Did arms on tues.

Forgot to bring my log in with me so I can't post it, but basicly the same as last week.

Tonight chest and back experimentation again,

Coke
07-03-2003, 08:16 AM
Best of luck there at the new gym, that should do much to help energize you :)

And no kidding man, I was thinking of doing some experimentation myself with chest and back tomorrow...;)

Franjipani
07-05-2003, 08:48 PM
It's all just smoke and mirrors :D

*lol*

I've seen it with my own eyes.....can't pull a swifty over me young man;) :p.

I'm headed to Miami this time hon....if you're over that way in the next few weeks...give me a buzz:)

Herc
07-15-2003, 12:09 PM
-Beware Catharsis in process-

Actually more of a B!tch and Moan,

I want mass NOW. Actually, let me correct that I want mass 10 years ago. I guess I知 just feeling old or something, or maybe it is the fact that between a Family wedding this weekend (where on of my college aged cousins has put about an 1-2 on his arms since last I saw him), a vendor meeting yesterday (where the vendor who was about my age not only owns his own company but also had some serious size on him), or the new Gym (where not only there are competition level bodybuilders and our equity Tarzans, but also HIGH SCHOOL football players that have 20 50 lbs on me).

First, why didn稚 I clue in sooner. I remember wanting to be bigger, but did I lift a weight, did I join a gym, NO I just lazed around skinny as ever thinking that could never be me. So now I realize that with a little dedication, the right diet and the right equipment hey, even I can put on some mass. Of course, now I知 fighting for every pound, and yea I will get some personal satisfaction from my gains, but let痴 be realistic, my best case is that I値l be the big 登lder guy. Which of course is better than the old fat guy or the old skinny guy. But, man, I gotta admit I am going though a big time Envy phase. I read the journals on here and just kick myself that I didn稚 figure it out sooner. You guys in their teens and twenties making mad gains and really dedicating yourself to your goals, what the hell was I doing back when that was me I値l tell what I was doing. Being a big old geek, that痴 what I was doing. Yea there was studying for my degree which I don稚 regret, but the time wasted in front of computer games, and TVs, and curled up in the bottom of a liquor bottle. If I would have invested even 1 hour a day in myself my future self- I think my life could have played out so differently after I left school and early in my career.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda, I know, I know, I know, but it痴 my journal so I値l b!tch all I want. Actually, I guess 努ish is the right word. I know what you池e thinking 砥se this as motivation to dedicate yourself now and 妬t痴 never too late. Yea, Yea I知 doing it even as we speak. I知 just having trouble locking my brain in on the target now. I guess it痴 because I know I致e already lost some of the gains I once had, and every gain I make Seems to be a little harder. Injuries keep cropping up more and more (ok just the shoulder these days). I find myself researching supplements aggressively again. I知 questioning my workouts more and more. 努as that intense enough? long enough? am I over training? Is my diet Ok? Lean or Big? Lean or Big? Back in the day if you would have asked my long term goal a wish goal let痴 call it- would have been something like 220lbs, 18-19 guns, and single digit bf% being 61 I figure that would be pretty impressive. Now realizing that realistically that goal would take me until I知 35 to achieve, I知 not sure if that痴 how I want to look at 35. At 25 absolutely, but at 35 I知 not sure anymore, but I wanted to, wished I could have, experienced that kind of mass, that kind of physique at some point in my life. Just to know what it is like, to see a picture of me in that kind of shape when I知 old a gray looking through old photo albums.

I don稚 want to be a geek anymore. I wish I could stop thinking of myself that way, but it is what it is. Would I still think of myself as a geek @ 220lbs? Probably. Would I have if I would have done it at 25? Maybe. How about if I would have taken my guidance counselors advice when I was 16 and started a sport or at least weight training? I don稚 think so, I think my life could have been completely different. I think I would still be an engineer but maybe not, but my college life would have been completely different, my life now would be different. Would it be better?

Damn!

That just took the wind out of my sails. It probably wouldn稚 be. I致e got a great house, a currently boring but historically great job, a nice life, and the ability to do whatever the F#&% I want with my body. So I値l never be the popular guy in High school or the center of attention in a bar or club. So what if I知 not one of the big guys in the gym, I致e got a great life, none of which I would trade for 20lbs or even 40lbs of LBM, right!

So I guess I値l shut up now.

Peace

Herc
07-15-2003, 12:20 PM
Oh yea, I did legs last night

Smith Squats
90/15
140/10
180/8
230/6
140/12
180/10
180/10 *forgot to add weight
230/8 *made up for it here +30lbs
Leg Extension
120/12
115/10
120/15 +7 reps saw an friend who left my old gym about 6 mos. before I did. (if you read my rant above here痴 another guy who痴 gained like 15lbs of LBM since I saw him last)
125/8
Prone Leg Curl
110/12
115/10
120/8
130/6

Coke
07-15-2003, 12:51 PM
Aw get over it and get in that new gym mang, lol...

:p

Herc
07-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by CoCoa
Aw get over it and get in that new gym mang, lol...

:p

Tell me about it... I don't know what got into me, but my rant did get it outta my system

Wikked1
07-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Herc been a while since I dropped in but I can relate to your rant ....just wait till you get beyond that age.......it's the facts man. "Time WAITS for NO MAN"....I find myself doing the same thing beating the hell out of myself for wasted youth....if ONLY I would have "whatever"..... there is an upshot to it all though.......take a real world look at it.....you're still in better shape than most guys your age........even more that are older and still some who are younger....the important part is you are doing it NOW.....not still WISHING. (sorry being an older guy I think I have a pretty good idea how you feel)....could be wrong but I still think you're overlooking the most KEY element....you're not sitting on your A$$ getting loose and chubby right?

Herc
07-16-2003, 12:48 PM
Wikkid Thanks for the props don稚 worry I致e gotten over myself now.

Well whining must be good for the soul cause I had my best arm workout since probably the beginning of the year. Did concentration pauses at the top of most every rep and supper slows and negatives whenever the weight seemed too light or too heavy. I got that awesome deep tissue soreness in both bi痴 and Tri痴 today and it is oh soo good!

Dips
Bw/15
Bw/12
Bw/10
Skull Crushers / Close grip presses Supersets- lbs/rep/rep
35/15/15
45/10/10
55/8/8
Pushdowns
60/15 +10lbs w/ 2 sec concentration pause
70/12 +10lbs w/ 2 sec concentration pause
80/10 +10lbs w/ 2 sec concentration pause
Standing Cable Kickbacks
50/8
57.5/7
65/6
Barbell Curls
40/12 w/ 2 sec concentration pause @ top of motion
50/10 w/ 2 sec concentration pause @ top of motion
60/5 w/ 2 sec concentration pause @ top of motion
Dumbell Curls
25/10 w/ 2 sec concentration pause @ top of motion
30/6
30/6
Preacher curls
35/15 4 sec. Up 2 sec down
45/12 normal speed w/ 2 sec concentration pause @ top of motion
55/5 toasty!
Hanging Leg lift
Bw/10
Bw/10
Bw/10
Flat Reverse Crunch
Hanging Oblique Knee Up Twists

Herc
07-18-2003, 11:31 AM
Had a good chest workout yesterday considering that my shoulder is still giving me some discomfort. I would say I知 about 90% back, however I am still experiencing some weakness in certain moves. I知 basically sticking to the Hammer Strength machines until I feel like I知 rehabbed enough to go back to real bench presses.

Here痴 the workout

HS Decline Chest
90/15
140/12
180/10
230/5
HS Chest Press
90/8
110/6
90/7
HS Wide Chest press
90/12
110/10
140/9
140/8
Dumbbell Lateral Raise/Front raise/ Bent over Rear Delt Raise super set
20/8/8/12
20/10/8/12
20/10/7/12
Dumbbell Shrugs
45/20
55/13
65/12
Went back to HS Decline Chest for a finisher
140/12
90/10 no rest between sets

That痴 all

Herc
07-22-2003, 08:19 AM
Friday was back day. Here is the workout

HS Low Rows
90/15
140/10
160/8
180/6
HS High Rows
90/15
140/12
160/10
180/10
Lat Pull Down
90/15
105/10
112.5/10
120/8
Roman Chair Leg Lifts/ Twisting Knee ups
10/8
8/4

WillKuenzel
07-22-2003, 08:24 AM
How's the shoulder doing Herc?

Herc
07-22-2003, 08:45 AM
Well, I went to the beach this weekend. Totally screwed the diet and drank too much and ate too little, but the sun was shining and the beer was cold, so
I have two kernels of wisdom from the last couple of days. It痴 been a week since my whiney catharsis right here in this journal, and I致e got to admit I致e turned a mental corner. The main point of which is get over it and get on with what you can affect now. So my kernels of wisdom: 1) When you are having a self image crisis, go to a public beach and look around. 2) Never underestimate the motivation you can gain from going to a gym where a lot of the members are in better shape than you.
After I got over the shock and self-consciousness of being one of the smallest guys at my new gym (refer to kernel 1 for how to do this), I realized how lax I had become in my workouts at my old gym. I have pushed out more last reps and had upped my intensity level more in the last week than I have had in the last 6 months at my olds gym. Between better music, better equipment, and women who are kicking my a$$ in every lift, I walked into the gym ready for battle every workout last week . So, the Herc Zero to Hero program is underway big time. I知 going to think up some defined goals for October and keep everyone posted.
Anyway, I did legs on Monday.

Smith Squats
90/15
140/12 +2 reps
180/8
230/6
Prone Leg Curl Squat machine has a line so I did these first
110/12
115/10
120/8
130/8 +2 reps
Hammer Strength Squat Machine
40/15 +3 reps
180/12 +2 reps
230/8 +50lbs
270/8 +40 lbs
Leg Extension
115/15
120/12
125/10
130/8

Herc
07-24-2003, 10:54 AM
Another great arm day. I think I might be turning into a curl jockey.

Dips
Bw/20 +5 reps
Bw/12
Bw/10
Skull Crushers / Close grip presses Supersets- lbs/rep/rep
35/15/15
45/12/12 +2 reps
55/10/10 +2 reps
Pushdowns
60/8
50/12 ***clued in that I was on a double pully system so weights here are ス of before.
40/10
Standing Cable Kickbacks
50/10 +2 reps
57.5/8 +1 rep
65/7 +1 rep
Barbell Curls
40/12 w/ 2 sec concentration pause @ top of motion
50/10 w/ 2 sec concentration pause @ top of motion
60/6 +1 rep
Preacher curls
35/15 4 sec. Up 2 sec down
45/12 normal speed w/ 2 sec concentration pause @ top of motion
55/8 toasty!
Dumbell Curls
25/10 w/ 2 sec concentration pause @ top of motion
30/7 +1 rep
30/6
Flat Reverse Crunch
Hanging Oblique Knee Up Twists
Weighted ab machine
80/12
85/12
90/10

WillKuenzel
07-24-2003, 10:57 AM

LMAO!! Turning into one? Looks like you've been one. Go talk to Borris and ectx. You bunch of curl jockeys. :p

When you going to start adding weight to those dips?

Herc
07-24-2003, 12:52 PM
HY- I still get a littl twinge in my shoulder on the dips, but once it is gone I'm all over adding some weight.

ectx
07-24-2003, 01:00 PM

:cool:

one of us. ONE OF US!

Herc
08-12-2003, 10:22 AM
8/12/03
Believe it our not, I have actually been working out over the last couple of weeks I just havn稚 been good about my online log. Unfortunately, the log I use on my computer doesn稚 like to cut and paste onto the site or even into Word so it makes it a little harder when I知 being lazy to get things online.

Well, my shoulder is feeling much better, however My bench and incline bench weights still haven稚 come back to normal. I do feel like I知 adding some good mass to my arms legs and back, not terribly noticeable, but still there and the scale agrees with me. I値l probably do some more pics come September as a progress check-in.

Did legs yesterday, not a great day as I went in tired from the weekend. Most all weights and reps stayed the same.

140/15
180/12
230/8
270/8
Smith Squats
90/15
140/12
180/8
230/6
110/12
115/10
130/8
Leg Extension
115/15
120/10
125/8

later

WillKuenzel
08-12-2003, 10:31 AM
Glad to hear the shoulder is getting better. Don't worry about those bench numbers. They'll come up eventually.

Even if the reps and weights stayed the same, being that you were tired and kept it the same means there was some progress. :)

Now quit being lazy and keep posting! :)

Teufelhund
08-12-2003, 12:54 PM

Hey Herc - Lookin' good. :thumbup: What kind of log are you using?

Also, I was wondering what a Prone Leg Curl Squat machine is - have not heard of that one yet, and couldn't google it either. just curious...

Herc
08-12-2003, 01:00 PM
HY- Thanks for stopping by, I'll try to keep my lurker instincts a bay.

T- I use crosstrainer II as my log. It has great nutritional info and is easily modified to fit your personal needs.

LOL That would be a missing comma- Prone Leg Curl, The Squat machine had a line... I'll be sure to edit more carefully next time.

Teufelhund
08-12-2003, 01:11 PM
LOL That would be a missing comma

doh! I'm going to go ahead and take this opportunity to blame that question on sleep deprivation. :drooling:

hey, I'm totally with you on the "-Beware Catharsis in process-" topic. What the hell was I thinking back then?!?

Herc
08-12-2003, 01:51 PM
Amazing isn't it? However, I really do think that it was easier to buy into a "that could never be me, so I'll just sit here" mentality back when we were in school, due to the information vacuum around health and fitness. The only people who worked out were the guys who played sports, and they basically "owned" the weight room. I always felt a perception of "what is a geek like you doing in here" from the jocks, the few times I might venture that way. Today, being in shape is much more mainstream and inclusive. Everyone works out, or at least it is accepted that you don稚 have to be a jock to workout.

Over in the anabolic forum I responded to a thread about a new phenomenon just a insidious as what we faced re: the perception by the unmotivated / undedicated that steroids are the only way to get even mildly healthy / muscular. I responded with my favorite link to a regular guy here in Orlando who turned it around through dedication and a ton of effort.
http://www.twowiresthin.com/wl2003/

Be sure to check out the animation if you have the bandwidth.

Anyway, I say geeks unite! We already run the world, now lets go get big and kick some sand in the faces of the jocks that are now working for us, have no muscle anymore, and beer guts to boot! j/k LOL :D

Herc
08-12-2003, 01:57 PM
Of course, that doesn't help me out much today at the gym when I'm barbell curling the same weight that half the guys are using for dumbell curls. :cry:

WillKuenzel
08-12-2003, 01:58 PM
But you're probably using better form so it all evens out. :)

Herc
08-12-2003, 02:01 PM
HY- If only that were true...

WillKuenzel
08-12-2003, 02:17 PM
Well curls aren't the be-all and end-all anyway. I'm sure those guys didn't just start yesterday so don't worry about it. You're doing a great job and regardless, its that guy in the mirror you should be competiting with. Beat his ass everyday and before long you won't have a damn thing to be crying about. :D

Herc
08-12-2003, 03:05 PM
HY- But I wanna be a curl jockey just like you and EC!!! LOL

WillKuenzel
08-12-2003, 03:13 PM
:mad: HEY NOW!!! WHOA!! I'm not a curl jockey! :swear: You've got me confused. I'm a calf jockey. Can't be getting those confused. :p ;)

Scott S
08-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Hey, been lurking in this journal myself. That new gym must be really inspiring! It's really true that you progress the most when EVERYBODY else is bigger and stronger.

Is there any reason you prefer machine squats? I'm not trying to imply anything, I was just curious.

BTW, mind if I co-opt your "Keep America Beautiful" sticker idea? I'm not a big fan of bumper stickers, but that's one I believe in so much that I'd be willing to put it on mine. ;)

Keep up the good work and get that shoulder healed!! :thumbup:

Teufelhund
08-12-2003, 04:07 PM
Whoah! That animation Rocks!
I wish I had thought of that...

Herc
08-13-2003, 10:54 AM
HY - Calfs, curls, whatever! how about BOTH! :D

SS- Oh, I freely admit that "free" squats scare me. No because of the soreness I'm sure they would cause, but because I'm a tall guy with long legs and limited coordination. Oh, and go for it on the stickers, just remember me when you get rich off my slogan. :D

T- pretty damn impressive isn't it? Dude, that would have been so cool to watch your bulk.

Herc
08-14-2003, 08:58 AM
Another day, another dollar
Things are pretty good here in O-Town. Work is busy, the record label is coming right along, workouts are good (of course faster progress would always be nice, but hey, what can you do, right?), social life sucks, but that痴 about par for the course these days. I致e got two 登pen deadline projects on my desk right now, but instead of working on them I figures I壇 muse a little in my blog. I don稚 have anything earth shattering so I値l just throw out some random thoughts that have crossed my mind recently.

If you have a friend who is just letting themselves go to hell physically, is it better to give them all the resources (and some prodding) to make up their mind and make the choice to change themselves, or should you take the choice out of their hands and drag them into a healthier lifestyle knowing that they will thank you in the end?

Unrelated topic- for all of the 殿mazing transformations and 堵reat cycle results people out there, did you ever feel a conscious 澱eing in some one else痴 skin difference in your body? A wake up and 堵od is this really me? epiphany. Or is it like asking someone what it is like to be tall? (i.e. since it is you and it happens relatively gradually to you there is no real moment of wow).

Anyway other than random thoughts I did do a curl jockey arm workout on Tuesday

Here it is

Dips
Bw/20
Bw/15
Bw/12
Skull Crushers
45/15
55/10
65/6
Pushdowns
40/15
50/12
60/10
Freemotion Standing Cable Kickbacks 謀ifferent machine so new weights
35/10
40/8
45/6
Barbell Curls
40/20
50/12
60/8
Dumbell Curls
30/8
30/8
35/6
Preacher curls
45/15
55/10
65/5 toasty!
Roman Chair Twisting Knee ups
Flat reverse Crunch
Weighted ab machine
80/12
90/12
95/12

Teufelhund
08-14-2003, 10:13 AM
Unrelated topic- for all of the 殿mazing transformations and 堵reat cycle results people out there, did you ever feel a conscious 澱eing in some one else痴 skin difference in your body? A wake up and 堵od is this really me? epiphany. Or is it like asking someone what it is like to be tall? (i.e. since it is you and it happens relatively gradually to you there is no real moment of wow).

g'morning Herc- Not sure I'd call my progress amazing, but there were several times when I would walk past a window or mirror and kinda catch a reflection of myself out of the corner of my eye, and think, "Wow - He works out". Then just about the time the self-pity really was setting in I would realize that I had just seen myself. First couple of times it happened were a real trip. Funny thing is I always look much bigger to me before I realize that its me I'm lookin' at. That's one for the therapist, huh...

The real shocker is when I see pictires of myself from before though. Now I think "That was me???"

Herc
08-15-2003, 10:13 AM
T- I actually had a similiar thing but with photographs. There were a couple of party pics that caught me by supprise and here are a couple from a cruise I took where I was, like, woa is that my back?

Herc
08-15-2003, 10:14 AM
Here's one where I was going "that can't be my arm" Not that it is that great, just unexpected

WillKuenzel
08-15-2003, 10:25 AM
If you have a friend who is just letting themselves go to hell physically, is it better to give them all the resources (and some prodding) to make up their mind and make the choice to change themselves, or should you take the choice out of their hands and drag them into a healthier lifestyle knowing that they will thank you in the end?I tend to try to do it with subtle hints at first as to how they could change things. I eventually offer to help but I don't try to drag them that way. Normally they just end up resentful of it, although some could take to it. Depending on the person.

for all of the 殿mazing transformations and 堵reat cycle results people out there, did you ever feel a conscious 澱eing in some one else痴 skin difference in your body? A wake up and 堵od is this really me? epiphany. Or is it like asking someone what it is like to be tall? (i.e. since it is you and it happens relatively gradually to you there is no real moment of wow).I've gone from 5'9" 135lbs. to 5'10" 200lbs. I still see the 135lbs. There are times when I might feel a since of change and see some results but I'll forever be that scrawny kid I was back in high school and even at the beginning of college. When I see a before picture, I'm like, "Yep, that's me." I see a pic of myself now and I'm like, "Got to get bigger." I'm sure there are other examples and some people have better views on their progress but some of us just have a hard time.

And dude, you're back and calves are huge in the first pic! Those calves were the first thing I saw. You're arm in the 2nd pic looks pretty damn big. Its busting out of those sleeves enough to push it up instead of it just hanging out and over your arm. Nice man! :thumbup:

Herc
08-15-2003, 10:54 AM
HY - I'm doing the subtitle hint thing, but they are just not catching on. They even have the extra incentive of FREE personal training through their apartment complex.

I absolutely understand what you are saying about the "scrawny kid" in the mirror. What was the time frame you made your progress over? I think that has a lot to do with it (the whole "what's it like to be tall" thing) It's interesting to hear someone with your kind development still has the "scrawny kid" lingering around.
Mine is definitely alive and well. Just last night at the gym I had an awkward high school moment in the gym. As you know I知 a new member at Gold痴 and like my old gym I知 trying to get to know some of the other members so I can at least say 塗i, how are the wife and kids etc. Any as it is also obvious from some of the previous posts here in my journal, I知 definitely more than a little intimidated by some (read: most) of the other members. So after screwing up my resolve I decide to talk with some of the other members. Anyway, long story- short, I open my mouth and I might as well have been in H.S. trying to talk with the popular kids. For God痴 sake I知 31 years old, with a successful career, and a homeowner to boot, and I知 stammering like the geek I was 15 years ago. It痴 so ludicrous I almost have to laugh thinking back on it. Amazing how baggage from so long ago can still sneak up on you.

Enough of that, I did Chest and Shoulders yesterday. Overall a good workout. Shoulder is coming back slowly, but surely.

I can稚 find my sheet, so I guess I値l enter it Monday..

Herc
08-15-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by HomeYield

And dude, you're back and calves are huge in the first pic! Those calves were the first thing I saw. You're arm in the 2nd pic looks pretty damn big. Its busting out of those sleeves enough to push it up instead of it just hanging out and over your arm. Nice man! :thumbup:

Thanks! My calves have always been a string point, the back suprised me though, as I always think of it being weak. I'm thinking the sleeve tightness is from the climbing and also that these were taken on day 6 of a 7 day cruise. I think by that time I was up about 5-7 pounds of fat and bloated as hell form drinking every day and night.

Teufelhund
08-15-2003, 11:09 AM
Geez Herc - your lookin' great in those pics. Like HY said, arms and calves are huge. You've also got a great shoulder/waist ratio going there. My shoulders are wide, but so is my hip structure.

Heh, I thought I might have killed your journal thread for a while there... Glad you came back ;)

WillKuenzel
08-15-2003, 03:00 PM
HY - I'm doing the subtitle hint thing, but they are just not catching on. They even have the extra incentive of FREE personal training through their apartment complex.

I absolutely understand what you are saying about the "scrawny kid" in the mirror. What was the time frame you made your progress over? I think that has a lot to do with it (the whole "what's it like to be tall" thing) It's interesting to hear someone with your kind development still has the "scrawny kid" lingering around.

It kind of happened in phases. I graduated high school at about 140lbs. Inched my way up to 155lbs over the next 2 years. I was running track in college so that doesn't really lend to well to bulking.

Got up to about 165lbs. after about 6 months of not running track. From there I don't remember because so much stuff was happening but by the time I graduated college I was ~185. So about 20lbs. in 1.5 years.

Then after graduatation I moved up to 207lbs about April this year (11 months after graduation)., which was the most I've ever weighed. The gain from 165lbs. to 185lbs. was the best lean gain. Almost no bf% rise.

I've never done a cut until now. Metabolism is too high. So roughly about 60lbs over 4 years. Kind of slow so, I guess I've never really seen the gains myself. Even looking back at photos where I'm wearing shirts that I still have, they were loose then and really tight now but it won't sink in that I've gotten bigger. I guess because when I'm walking down the street or out in public I still feel small. Its just one of those things. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Franjipani
08-16-2003, 04:09 AM
it is also obvious from some of the previous posts here in my journal, I知 definitely more than a little intimidated by some (read: most) of the other members....... Amazing how baggage from so long ago can still sneak up on you.

:scratch:

Who ARE you and what have you done with the REAL HERC ??:(

If you happen to spot him....tell him he is lookin good in those pics, ask how his garden is going & find out how he is enjoying his new gym ?? :D.

Herc
08-18-2003, 08:07 AM
Hi Franj!

Thanks for the props. Garden is doing fine, roses galore! I'm still determined to be the cranky old guy who talks to his plants if I ever I decide to grow up.
New gym is great for motivation, not so good for ego. I am making some progress though, so that is good. I'm slowly making friends at the new gym, but nothing like the one you went to while visiting where everyone says "hi" and knows eachother's names.

Glad to see you made it home Ok. take care and get those pics posted.

Herc
08-18-2003, 08:17 AM
HY - Dude, your stat's tell it all. Your progress is amazing, the leg video looks like a professional's. I wish there was someting I could say(or anyone could say) to help you see that, but that's something that only you can do yourself. If it concerns you look at wether or not Bodybuilding is a defense mechanism you are using to keep from facing something else. If it doesn't bother you, hey, use it as motivation and get huge!

Regardless, at least stop and take a quite personal moment in front of a mirror before your contest and step outside yourself. Look at "you" as someone else that has never met you would. Really "see" every part, every piece, every nuance, and use the knowledge you find to go out on stage and KICK SOME SERIOUS A$$!!!!

Wikked1
08-20-2003, 11:53 AM
Look at "you" as someone else that has never met you would. Really "see" every part, every piece, every nuance, and use the knowledge you find to go out on stage and KICK SOME SERIOUS A$$!!!!

Dude just stopped in cause it had been a while since I dropped in here......workouts are looking good. and the above? Hell that's one damn good piece of advice.
definitely more than a little intimidated by some (read: most) of the other members
is it rude journal behavior to quote the same thing twice?
Bah!! who cares?? I think you should
Look at "you" as someone else that has never met you would. Really "see" every part, every piece, every nuance
Pics you posted tell me you've got some decent size .....it's not going to kill you to give yourself some credit!

Herc
08-20-2003, 02:27 PM
Wikked - thanks for the props. Hey, no fair turning my psycho-babble advice against me! :D

I actually post some workouts from Mon and Tues when I get a chance to take a breath.

Herc
08-22-2003, 09:14 AM
Must
Resist
Instinct
To Lurk

Workouts have been going pretty well all week. I知 not going to try to post all week to catch up, but suffice it to say, most weights remained the same and reps were up slightly. Basically a maintenance week overall. Things at the gym are good, and I知 meeting more people due to the fact that it is packed when I go and you always have to 努ork in with others on the popular equipment.

Had a really bad cheat day on Wednesday double whopper with cheese, large fries and a coke. I determined it has been over a year since I致e had fast food fries. 萌od, were they good!- I then proceeded to have 2 pieces of chocolate cake at a friends birthday dinner. So, my weekend of lawn maintenance (read :cardio) will be extra long to try to get the mini gut that sprang up, gone.

I don稚 have any real startling revelations from the week, oh wait actually I do. On, Monday I had my first encounter with a bodybuilder who had / has used large amounts of GH. He looked terrible. Now don稚 get me wrong he was HUGE arms the size of my thighs, but the gut was just freakish. It completely turned around my thinking on pro-bodybuilders. If this level of pharmacology is what you have to do and if this is what off-season looks like, than they can have it. It was more like something out of a bad SFX movie than the 田ool freaky size you conjure up from contests and photo shoots and even off-season candids. Now needless to say this wasn稚 a pro, or even someone with the same access to the level of knowledge most pros have concerning 都upplements, but man, let me tell you, this guy in his quest to 澱e like a pro a ended up with some seriously phucked up results. So the moral is, know your $hit and be careful out there.

Teufelhund
08-25-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Wikked1
Pics you posted tell me you've got some decent size .....it's not going to kill you to give yourself some credit!

I second that. Just because you happen to be swimming in a pond with bigger fish now... no wait... eh-hem... Now that you've graduated to a higher level... no- thats not it.

Aww crap.

Take the opportunity to learn from the big guys (except the GH freak, maybe) and run with it. Then in a couple months, stop by the old gym and, uhh, laugh at all the small fish. or something.

ya' know?

---------------

Man, I'm good at this stuff!

Scott S
08-25-2003, 05:22 PM
Lurking in your own journal... tuttut

Herc
08-26-2003, 01:34 PM
:lurk:

:D

Oh, wait - you mean I'm supposed to post in my journal?

WillKuenzel
08-26-2003, 01:51 PM
I don't think you have to. I post whore my journal. You can lurk in yours. :p Its all good.

Teufelhund
09-09-2003, 02:31 PM
OK - lurking is all good and everything, but this is getting ridiculous. Don't you remember my soul lifting fish speech?

Your public demands action!

Budiak
09-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Pretty boy.

Herc
09-16-2003, 10:00 AM
Wow, It痴 been a long time since I致e posted to this. The Lurking instincts took over big time.

Well, things have been going really well the last couple of weeks. Workouts have been consistently good and my weights have been going up accordingly. I hopped on the scale over the weekend and I am up about 4-5 lbs while my bodyfat % is about the same hovering around 12%. Not seeing a whole lot in the mirror, but I think that is because I think most of my gains have been in my back and legs.

Things at the new gym are good and being the little guy gives me a real kick in the a$$ every time I try to slack off. If for no other reason than that I think I will keep seeing good gains over the next several months. I would love to think I could hit 200 at 10%-12% by the end of the year.

Well I did legs yesterday, and I found a new trick.. Drink a glass of OJ before Leg day workout and getting through the heavy sets 疎int so bad.

Here痴 the workout. Smith machine had a line for days so I skipped and went fast and heavy on the Hack Squat machine.

Hammer Strength Hack Squat Machine
180/15
270/12
360/10
410/8
Leg Extension
115/15
120/10
125/8
135/8
Leg curl
110/12
115/10
125/8
130/8
Calfs on Leg press
300/30
340/25
360/25
400/15

Herc
09-23-2003, 12:35 PM
Ok, well I知 going to try to at least update this once a week.
Right now I知 in the middle of the rehearsal process for a new fireworks show at the Magic Kingdom. Hours are crazy, but I知 managing to keep my workout schedule so far. Last week was good, most weight or reps showed improvement and I知 actually beginning to believe that I致e gained back some mass that I had lost.

My only gym insight from the week is that there are some major curl jockeys that go to my gym. Not that I have anything against curl jockeys (I aspire to be a curl jockey myself one day), but man when you have a runners build with 17-18 inch arms, it is getting a little out of hand.

Well, I知 off to do arms. I値l try to post more than once a week once this show gets open. Here痴 the plan for the workout.

Barbell Curls
50/20
60/12
70/8
Dumbell Curls
30/10
30/10
35/8
Dips
Bw/20
Bw/15
Bw/12
Preacher curls
55/20
65/12
75/8 toasty!
Pushdowns
40/20
55/12
60/10
Skull Crushers close grip superset
45/12/12
55/10/10
65/8/8
Freemotion Standing Cable Kickbacks hts
35/10
40/9
45/7
Flat reverse Crunch
Weighted ab machine
110/12
115/12
120/12

WillKuenzel
09-23-2003, 02:15 PM
My only gym insight from the week is that there are some major curl jockeys that go to my gym.

Well, I知 off to do arms.

:D :D

Good luck with the new show. Good to see you still around even if it is in lurk mode. ;)

Herc
09-24-2003, 01:11 PM
I'm glad someone caught that!!!

And good luck in your show.

Herc
09-25-2003, 12:55 PM
Had to postpone the arm workout to last night. Went according to plan except I had to fit it into 45 mins. Let me tell you, adding a speed component to the mix really kicks it to you. My arms were burning like all get out during, and are definately sore today.

Tonight Chest!

and then I get to go blow sh!t up!!! :evillaugh:

Budiak
09-25-2003, 02:28 PM
You actually got all that **** done in 45 minutes??? Damn, fewl.

Plus you've GOT to tell me what you're blowing up. Please tell me its a box full of kittens.

Herc
09-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Budiak

Plus you've GOT to tell me what you're blowing up. Please tell me its a box full of kittens.

Let's see... HDPE tubes, steel launchers, a tech or two...

:evillaugh:

Wikked1
09-26-2003, 11:10 AM
*peers through the dust & cobwebs*
Is that a worktout I see posted? I'll be damned it is....I thought this thing might have been read it's last rights. Nice leg day you had there dude!

Plus you've GOT to tell me what you're blowing up. Please tell me its a box full of kittens. OH man that's almost sig worthy!

Herc
09-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Wikked - Thanks for the props! while it is pretty dusty in here the workouts have been going on as scheduled. I'm hoping to show off some visible gains by November, and then it is going to get REALLY serious.

Herc
10-06-2003, 10:01 AM
Well,

Had to take last week off due to 18-20 hr. work days as we struggled with the show. Wed. is press event with opening on Thurs. Today, baring disaster, is leg day. woo-hoo!

Herc
10-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Had a good arm workout lastnight and good legs on Monday. Today should be my off day, however I know my Friday back day is going to be shot due to post opening shots :D :alcoholic

So, I'm thinking I'm going to go hardcore and jump right into Chest / Shoulders today and Back tommorrow so I won't miss another Back day.

Well, tonight we open to 2000+ press people and tommorrow we have actual guests. Tonight should be fun, Julie Andrews is introducing the show plus they always serve shrimp the size of kittens at these things, not to mention lots of free booze!

<----- keeping his fingers crossed that all goes well.

Later

Scott S
10-08-2003, 12:49 PM
Mmmm... kittens. :evillaugh:

Franjipani
10-09-2003, 02:58 AM
Heya good lookin :hello:

Hope all went well with the show?? Just thought I'd tell ya that you have quite a few raving fans 'down under'. Seems you are a bit of a hit with my lady friends that have seen my pics from Orlando ;).

Go get em tiger :p

Herc
10-10-2003, 09:06 AM
Hi Franj!

The press opening and the grand opening went well, so now we are on to daily ops. mode. I'll post more about the show and my return to the gym later. In the meantime here is a pic from the show.

It's too big... I'll do it later.

WillKuenzel
10-10-2003, 01:29 PM
Awwww, I wanted to see the pic! :(

Herc
10-14-2003, 09:30 AM
Just have a sec, but here's the pic.

Anyone want to host a video clip?

Herc
10-17-2003, 09:38 AM
Well, I'm back in the gym full time now, without having to rush my workouts to get back to nightime rehersals. Chest was great last night and I can offically say that my shoulder is back 100%

I'm going to start a modified push/pull next week and start a more intense bulking / strenght phase. Stay tuned for new progress pics in a few weeks.

WillKuenzel
10-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Awesome! Glad to hear the shoulder is back up to strength! Hope to see some good workouts posted in here. :)

Herc
10-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Wait.

ypu mean I actually have to post a workout...

So that's what I've been doing wrong :rolleyes: :D

Herc
10-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Well, this week I started a new workout. It is sorta a Push/Push, Pull/Pull routine I came up with to try to concentrate my workouts on specific body parts in order to gain some mass. I知 doing Chest/ Tri痴 on Mon. Legs/Abs on Tues. Wed is off, Shoulders/ Abs on Thurs. (trying to bring up my shoulders by dedicating a whole day to them) and Back/Bi痴 on Friday. I知 hoping to clean bulk through the holidays (as best I can anyway) and then do a quick cut in Jan to get ready for a cruise I am taking in Feb.

My Monday workout was really challenging, which is good as it leaves me some room to grow into it. Tuesday Legs and Abs was pretty standard.

Here痴 Monday

Hammer Strength Flat Chest
90/15
140/12
160/8
180/6

Hammer Strength Wide Chest
140/15
160/12
180/10
230/6

Hammer Strength Super Incline Chest
110/6
110/7
*Didn稚 like the way this felt in my shoulders so I switched to

Hammer Strength Incline Chest
90/10
110/8
110/8

Skullcrushers
45/12
55/12
65/10
75/3 *first time trying this weight

Pully Pushdowns
50/12
60/5 *tri痴 were failing all over the place at this point
50/6
40/10

Freemotion standing Kickback
25/8
30/6
20/12

Dips
*None! Almost fell on my face, but I hope to work up to the point where I can do 3 sets of these even after everything else.

That痴 all :thumbup:

WillKuenzel
10-22-2003, 08:14 PM
Good luck with the new split, dude. Sounds similar to something I was doing for awhile with good results. The holidays are a good time for bulking, but maybe not clean. :p

Herc
10-24-2003, 12:05 PM
HY- Thanks for the props. If I get results like yours i'll be very happy!

Had a great Shoulder workout last night. Weather here in Orlando is Great right now and Tomorrow definitely has Beach Day written all over it, followed by Epcot痴 food and wine festival on Sunday. I致e started taking 1-Test in the form of T-bomb (yes I heard it is not that great, but it was an impulse buy) After I finish up with it I will probably switch to something better (after much research) the idea is to add as much mass a possible befor the new year without completely destroying the abs. I値l keep you updated on how it goes.

Here is the Shoulder workout

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press
50/15 *warmup
70/12
90/10
110/10
110/10

Dumbbell Lateral Raise
25/12
25/12
30/8
30/10

Dumbbell Front Raise
25/10
25/10
30/8
30/8

FreeMotion Rear Delt Pull
35/12
40/10
45/10
50/9

Dumbbell Rear Delt Raise
30/12
30/12
35/10
35/10

Hammer Strength Shrugs
180/12
180/12
230/10
230/8
Forearm work
Lots!

That痴 all :thumbup:

Scott S
10-25-2003, 03:59 PM
Hey! Workouts and drugz! Excellent! :thumbup:

Saint Patrick
10-25-2003, 04:07 PM
That's a helluva shoulder day Herc. Good work.

Herc
10-27-2003, 07:52 AM
Scott - Rightous Duuuude!!!!

Patrick - Thanks!

Friday I did my Back/Bicep workout. Even though my weights were down on my bicep exercise I feel like I got more out of it as I was pounding to or through total failure on most all exercises. Also while I was waiting for the ab machine to clear I went back and hit more e-z bar curls and dumbbell curls. I can稚 decide if the T-Bomb is working Workouts are good, but it is a new routine so I have no comparison. No sides to speak of so who knows?

Here is the Workout.

Hammer Strength Low rows
160/12
180/10
230/8
Lat Pulldown
120/10
127/10
142/6
Cable Row
120/10
135/10
150/8
Hammer Strength High Rows
160/12
180/10
230/8
Barbell Curl
60/12
50/12
40/12
Dumbbell Preacher Curls
25/5
20/7
20/7
E-Z Bar Curl
35/8
35/8
35/8
Flat reverse Crunch
Weighted ab machine
110/12
115/12
120/10

Herc
10-27-2003, 09:10 AM
I did a weigh in this morning (Monday) and to my surprise I have made some actual gains. My weight is up 13 lbs and my bodyfat is up only 3% so for me that means I致e gained over 6 lbs of LBM! Not to mention all of my measurements are up. I値l post some pics later this week, but here are the stats.

Weight: 193
BF%: 15%
Neck: 16
Shoulders: 52.5 up 2 ス
Chest: 43 up 2
L Bicep: 16 1/8 up a ス
R Bicep: 16 1/8 up a ス
L forearm: 12.75
R Forearm: 12.75
Stomach: 35
Waist: 33.25
Hips: 38.25
L Thigh: 23.75
R Thigh: 23.75
L Calf: 16
R Calf: 16

Whoo Hoo!!!

ryan1117
10-27-2003, 10:58 AM
Nice job with the LBM gain.

Coke
10-27-2003, 11:05 AM
:thumbup: :thumbup: that is 2 nice! - congrats

Herc
10-28-2003, 07:37 AM
Ryan & Cocoa thanks for the comments!

Well I have nothing to report from last night cause I had to work and then went to a screening of the new Disney movie coming out this weekend. I'm shifting my workouts to accomodate the change and will be doing Chest/Tris tonight.

The bulk continues as I am looking for another 10 lbs of LBM by Feburary. That's 15 weeks so I think it is a realistic goal. That will be a total of 16 pounds and I will be Psyched if I can achieve it!

BennettBoy
10-28-2003, 07:52 AM
Dang bro......193 lbs. Very nice. What weight are you ultimately looking to settle in at?

Herc
10-28-2003, 08:28 AM
I'm thinking 200 - 205 with 12% bf or less. That 's the stat's goal My image goal is more like what dareadeal looks like. My psychological goal is that when I'm out on the town that people have the impression that "that's a big guy"

Herc
10-28-2003, 08:32 AM
Hokie from bb.com is probably closer to how I think and would like to actually look when I reach my goal...

cphafner
10-28-2003, 11:05 AM
progerss is looking good herc. Hokie looks like a good goal to reach for.

Herc
10-29-2003, 10:40 AM
Had a good Chest workout last night. Still unable to do dips at the end of the workout, but I could at least do negatives which was better than the complete fall on my face failure I had last week. Thinking about doing a 都erious pro-hormone stack over the next 4-6 weeks but can稚 quite commit to the $$ involved. I have the money, I just can稚 decide if this is what I want to spend it on I値l keep you updated. I知 going to try to take some pics before the weekend, but I cant guarantee that it will actually happen. I will post some soon so I have a 澱efore if I do decide to run the stack.

Thought for the day: does Ronnie ever look in the mirror and go 堵ood Good what have I done to myself?

Here痴 the workout.

90/15
140/12
160/8
180/5 just couldn稚 get the last one of these

140/15
160/12
180/10
230/7 got one extra here J

90/15
110/10
110/10
140/6 BIG improvement here had to get used to the machine I guess

Skullcrushers
45/12
65/8
55/10
65/10 Random order due to heavy usage of the E-Z bars

Pully Pushdowns
50/12
60/7
55/8
50/10 Was able to increase the weight on the back end of this reverse pyramid.

25/10
30/7
20/12

Dips
2 negatives before I was just looking stupid

that痴 all, mild DOMS today

Herc
10-30-2003, 08:30 AM
I usually take Wed. night off , but due to Halloween (No workout on Friday) I had to get my shoulder workout in a day early. It was incredible. Strength was off the hook compared to last week.. Weights were up from last week and I was pounding out reps with minimal rest in between sets. It was one of those days were everything feels light, like gravity isn稚 working at 100%. I don稚 know if this is from the T-bomb finally kicking in or just that yesterday was a long stressful day at work, but I have decided to go ahead and run a 4-week pro-hormone stack starting in the middle of next week. I値l post the details once I get everything lined up. Anyway here痴 the shoulder workout

50/15 *warmup
70/12
90/15
140/10 *up 30lbs from last week
160/6 *up 50lbs from last week

Dumbbell Lateral Raise
25/12
25/12
30/10
30/10

Dumbbell Front Raise
25/10
25/10
30/10
30/10 *shoulders were pumped as hell at this point

35/12
40/12
45/12
50/12 *just couldn稚 fatigue out on these, should致e added weight

Hammer Strength Shrugs *no benches so I did these before Delt raises
180/12
230/12 *up 50lbs
230/10
230/8 *up 40lbs

Dumbbell Rear Delt Raise
30/12
30/12
35/10
35/10

Forearm work
Lots and Heavy

Herc
11-03-2003, 08:39 AM
Good Back workout on Friday. Here it is

Hammer Strength Low rows
160/15
180/12
230/8
Lat Pulldown
120/12
127/10
142/8
Cable Row
120/2
135/10
150/8
160/12
180/10
230/8
Barbell Curl
60/12
70/8
80/3 *first time trying this weight! dropset with 40/5
Dumbbell Preacher Curls
20/7
20/8
20/8
E-Z Bar Curl
35/12
45/7
45/3 *arms toasty dropset with 25/5
Flat reverse Crunch
Weighted ab machine
110/12
115/12
120/10

Herc
11-04-2003, 07:51 AM
Last night was Chest/Tri痴. I知 sorta torn on this new routine, it is definitely harder than what I致e been doing, but I知 not moving as much weight or keeping as many reps on some exercises, because My Tri痴 are toast by the time I get to the end of the workout. So the question is Training to failure vs. training volume. For mass building which is the way to go, especially since I知 starting my PH stack later this week. I知 90% sure that I値l stick with my workout as I don稚 want to 澱reak-in a new routine while I知 trying to maximize gains on the stack. Also seeing as I am coming to the end of my 1-test 菟re-stack I don稚 think I want to change anything too drastically, unless I really need to.

Anyway here is the Workout.

90/15
140/12
160/8
180/5

140/15
180/12 *up 20 lbs
200/9 *up 20 lbs
230/10 *got 3 extra here J

90/15
110/9
110/10
140/8 *2 extra reps

Skullcrushers
45/15 *3 extra reps
65/11 *3 extra reps
55/12 *2 extra reps
65/7 *down 3 reps due to major toastage of the tri痴

Pully Pushdowns
50/10
60/6
50/6
40/11 *These were a disaster as my tri痴 were failing all over the place

25/7
30/4 *blech!
20/12

Dips
Not even 1

I was pumped as hell at the end of this, and I could barely drive my car, but is this the best for growth :scratch:

BCC
11-04-2003, 07:55 AM
but is this the best for growth :scratch:

If you ever come across that answer, let me know ;)

Nice workout btw.

Herc
11-04-2003, 07:57 AM
BCC - I'll keep you on the cc: list for when I figure out the meaning of life too. ;)

oh and thanks for the props!

Herc
11-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Legs!

Man you forget how much squats add to a leg workout until you add them back in after not doing them for a while. Even my wimpy Smith Squats just about had me laid out by the end of my workout. On the positive side I had a quad pump that lasted until about 2:00 in the morning. I have to think some of this is from the 1-test I have been taking and has me anxious to get started on my stack. I might have to wait until next week to start however since they didn稚 send me everything I ordered, so as soon as thesecond shipment arrives I値l get started.

Here痴 the workout

Smith Machine Squats
90/12
180/10
200/8
230/6
180/12
270/10
360/8
410/6
Leg Extension
115/15
120/12
125/10
130/8
Calfs on Leg press
300/30
340/24
380/20
420/20
Flat reverse Crunch
Weighted ab machine
110/12
115/12
125/10

Herc
11-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Easing into my PH stack starting today as I await the rest to arrive. legs are sore as hell.

Tonight: Shoulders

Teufelhund
11-06-2003, 09:53 AM
LOL, gotta love the feeling of a solid pump. sore legs, not so much... :)

Workouts are looking really great! You're making some good progess here.

Herc
11-10-2003, 07:54 AM
Had a big team building exercise on Friday so here is Thursday night痴 workout along with Friday痴

Seeing good strength in my workouts, and having a little more motivation. Could be due to the PHs, but it is hard to tell. My weight is up, but I think it is Fat / water bloat. I took some quick pics on Thursday night, but the lighting was terrible (couldn稚 see me at all) so I知 going to give it another try later in the week. The rest of my PH stack should be arriving later in the week, I went ahead and started with the cycle however thinking a gradual build up wouldn稚 be a bad thing. Here are the workouts.

Thursday
Shoulders

50/15 *warmup
70/12
90/15
140/12 *up 2 reps from last week
180/6 *up 20lbs from last week

Dumbbell Lateral Raise
25/12
25/12
30/10
30/10

Dumbbell Front Raise
25/10
25/10
30/10

Dumbbell Rear Delt Raise
30/12
35/12 *up 5 lbs
35/12 *up 2 reps
40/10 *up 5 lbs

20/10 *realized I was doing theses wrong, weights came way down, but pump was insane
20/10
20/10
20/10
Hammer Strength Shrugs
180/15 *up 3 reps
270/8 *up 40lbs
270/8 *up 40lbs
320/7 *up 50lbs

Forearm work
Lots and Heavy

Friday
Back and Bis (forgot to print out my workout so I winged it some is better some is worse)

Hammer Strength Low rows
90/20 *warmup
160/15
180/12
200/10
Lat Pulldown
90/15
105/12
120/10
135/8
Cable Row
120/12
135/10
150/8
180/15
230/10
250/8
Barbell Curl
60/10
70/6
70/6
Dumbbell Preacher Curls
20/8
20/8
20/6
E-Z Bar Curl
35/10
35/8
25/10
25/10

Herc
11-12-2003, 07:53 AM
Well, I知 definitely seeing some strength increases in my workouts and minor physical changes (impressions of changes really) from my PH cycle. Chest workout was strong on Monday and Tuesday痴 Legs showed some gains too. I think I will realize some real gains by the end of this, and I致e lined up the 6-oxo so I can keep them. The only side I have experienced is the night sweats thing, but I get those all the time anyway. The 澱oys are still there and holding their own so I not too worried about them just yet and I haven稚 seen any acne or increase in hair loss. Anyway, I値l keep you updated if things change. I知 inching up on 200 lbs slowly but surely.

Here are the workouts

MONDAY

90/15
140/12
180/8 *up 20lbs from last week.
200/4 *up 20lbs form last week

140/15
160/12
230/10 *up 50lns from last week
250/7 *up 20 lbs from last week

90/15
110/10
140/8 *up 30 lbs from last week
160/6 *up 20 lbs from last week

Dips *moved these so I could actually do some
Bw/8
Bw/7
Bw/7

Skullcrushers / close grip supersets
55/12/12
55/11/11
55/10/10
55/8/8 *all the same weight as the E-Z bars were in high demand

Pully Pushdowns
50/12
60/5
55/6
55/8

25/10
30/7
20/12

TUESDAY

180/12
270/10
360/8
410/6
Smith Machine Squats
180/10
200/8
230/8
Leg Extension
115/15
120/12
125/10
130/8
Leg Curl
110/12
115/10
120/8
125/6
Calfs on Leg press *did these with a pause at the top *calfs were screeming!
300/30
340/24
380/20
420/20
Seated Calf Raise
90/15
140/10
180/10
180/10
Flat reverse Crunch
Weighted ab machine
110/12
115/12
125/10

Doing an Ironman week (4 workouts in a row) due to a wedding this weekend that I have to leave on Friday for,

Herc
11-13-2003, 07:53 AM
Today was the first day that I致e actually felt bigger since the start of the PH cycle. I知 one week in and my workouts have been strong, diet has been good (not necessarily clean, but adequate for muscle growth) and this morning my T-shirt felt tight when I put it on. (of course I cranked the dryer up to it痴 highest setting last night when I washed it ;) ) Last night was shoulders. Nothing truly stellar in the workout, but intensity was good and the shoulder pump was crazy before it was over. I致e got 3 more weeks on this stack before I switch to 6-oxo and I知 thinking my 10 lbs of LBM could actually be achievable when all is said and done.

Here痴 the workout

50/15 *warmup
70/12
90/15
140/12
180/7 *got an extra 1 here

Dumbbell Lateral Raise
25/12
25/12
30/10
30/10

Dumbbell Front Raise
25/10
25/10
30/10

20/10 *realized I was doing theses wrong, weights came way down, but pump was insane
20/10
20/10
20/10

Dumbbell Rear Delt Raise
30/12
35/12
35/12
40/10

Hammer Strength Shrugs
180/15
270/10 *up 2 reps
270/10 *up 2 reps
320/8 *up 1 reps

Forearm work
Lots and Heavy

That痴 all

BTW: is anyone out there
:lurk:

Teufelhund
11-13-2003, 08:53 AM
Hey Herc, glad to see things are working out so well! Keep it up! Of course you realize we're gonna need some before/after shots when you're done...

hmm... about the acne, I didn't really see an increase in pimples until shortly after my cycle ended. I don't think you need to worry about it too much, though. the couple times I tried PH stacks, I didn't have any bad sides, other than a moderate amount of bitchiness.

Herc
11-13-2003, 09:46 AM
Before's are pretty much the same as the one's posted at the beginning of the journal. After's will come mid Decemberish...

thanks for the advice.

Relentless
11-13-2003, 11:29 AM
are you taking oral or transdermal PHs? from where?

Herc
11-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Oral

Ergopharm 1-AD and Nutrex 1-TU

so far I would have to say I've very satisfied with both.

Scott S
11-13-2003, 01:37 PM
Impressive gains so far! That'd be really awesome if you could keep 'em too. :thumbup:

Herc
11-17-2003, 08:08 AM
Scott - tell me about it. I'm going to try everything in the book, so we'll see if it works.

Had a good Back workout on Thursday. Had fun at the wedding. Got lots of sun so maybe I値l take some pics if I can remember to get some batteries for my digital camera.

Here痴 the Workout

Hammer Strength Low rows
160/15
180/12
230/10
250/6
Lat Pulldown
120/15
135/10
150/6
Cable Row
120/12
135/10
150/10
180/15
230/10
250/9
Barbell Curl
60/12
70/8
70/5 *drop set to 50/4
Dumbbell Preacher Curls
20/8
20/8
20/6
E-Z Bar Curl
35/10
35/8
25/10
25/10
Flat Bench Reverse Crunches
Machine Crunches
110/15
115/12
120/10
E-Z Bar Curls *put these at the end cause my arms were toast!
35/15
45/12
55/8

Herc
11-18-2003, 08:10 AM
Last night was a pretty standard Chest / Tri workout. My weights stayed basically the same, however I feel like my intensity was up as I performed slow reps with a hard contraction at the top. The PH cycle is going well, if I have any complaint it is that while I love the really hard pump I知 getting during the workout, it seems to be limiting my ROM on individual reps. Anyway here痴 the workout

90/15
140/12
180/8 .
200/4.5 *I was inches from getting the 5th rep

140/15
160/12
230/10
250/6

90/15
140/8 *up 30 lbs from last week
160/7 *up 20 lbs from last week
180/4 *up 20 lbs from last week

Dips *moved these so I could actually do some
Bw/11 *woot woot
Bw/7
Bw/5 *bummer

Skullcrushers / close grip supersets
65/8/8 *it was like I couldn稚 straighten my arms due to tri pump on all of these
55/7/7
55/6/6
55/6/6

Pully Pushdowns
40/12 *was on a new machine, but arms were pumped jelly at this point
50/6
45/8
40/10

20/10 *slow and concentrated contraction at the top on all of these
15/7
15/12

No weight increase over the weekend at the wedding, but saw a 1% drop in BF% this morning. (not that means anything as the scale has a +/- 2% error)

Herc
11-19-2003, 08:21 AM
You know when you are doing hardcore legs (ok hardcore for me) you have a chance to look around while attempting to recover before the next set. I also noticed that you see 途eality a little better because the fatigue strips away all of your preconceived perceptions (or maybe you just hallucinate a little more). So here are some observations from 傍HE LEG ZONE-.

A lot of the big guys at my gym that I was intimidated by in the beginning have no legs. Yea they are sporting 17-18 arms, but I counted no less than 5 of these guys whose thighs were the size of my calves.

True mesomorphs need to be destroyed. I知 not talking about guys who carry enough muscle to look mesomorphs, but the ones who痴 actual frame has freaky V-taper. We have one 鍍rue mesomorph at my gym and, no kidding, with similar muscle mass as me his shoulders are twice the width of his waist. :swear: Mesomorphs are evil and must be destroyed.

Well that痴 all I got for now. Leg workout was good. Pump was insane! And little to no DOMS today :D

Here痴 the workout

Smith Machine Squats
90/15
180/12 *up 2 reps
230/10 *up 30 lbs and up 2 reps
270/6 *up 40 lbs

180/15 *up 3 reps
270/12 *up 2 reps
360/10 *up 2 reps
450/8 *up 40lbs and 2 reps!!!

Leg Extension
115/15
120/12
125/10
130/10

Leg Curl
110/12
120/10 *up 5 lbs
125/8 *up 5 lbs
130/7 *up 5 lbs

Roman Chair Twisting Knee ups *did these while waiting for leg press

Calfs on Leg press *did these with a pause at the top *calfs were screeming!
300/30
340/24
380/20
420/20

Seated Calf Raise
90/15
140/10
180/10
180/10

Flat reverse Crunch

Weighted ab machine
110/12
125/10
135/10

Teufelhund
11-19-2003, 09:09 AM
True mesomorphs need to be destroyed. I知 not talking about guys who carry enough muscle to look mesomorphs, but the ones who痴 actual frame has freaky V-taper. We have one 鍍rue mesomorph at my gym and, no kidding, with similar muscle mass as me his shoulders are twice the width of his waist. :swear: Mesomorphs are evil and must be destroyed.

LOL! I agree 100%. Most of the mesomorphs from my gym are already buried in my back yard. Too bad you've only got the one at your gym. Its fun whittling them down to ectomorphs. :evillaugh

Nice calf work, BTW.

Herc
11-20-2003, 10:01 AM
YOu know my roses do need some fertilizer...

hummm

Anyone know the numbers on a typical mesomorph.

Scott S
11-20-2003, 01:38 PM
I hear ya. Where I used to be kinda scared of the guys with big arms at my gym, now it's a fight not to laugh at their chicken legs. :D

Herc
12-02-2003, 08:26 AM
ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!

I slept on my shoulder wrong and screwed it up again!!!!

How the FvCk can sleeping wrong screw things up so bad!!!

It was like 3 months last time to recover...and I was making some progress finally!!!

I am so Pissed. maybe just maybe it is just a one day thing, but damn it is stiff and sore.

How am I supposed to keep the gains I have made on my PH cycle if I'm injured. And to add insult -It didn't even happen while I was lifting!!!

:soapbox:

Herc
12-02-2003, 08:46 PM
Well I figure I'm not getting any bigger so here are some bulked (read fat) pics

Herc
12-02-2003, 08:47 PM
front

Herc
12-02-2003, 08:47 PM
back

Herc
12-02-2003, 08:48 PM
another back

Herc
12-02-2003, 08:49 PM
side tri

Herc
twist pose

Herc
traps

Herc
12-02-2003, 08:50 PM
relaxed

Herc
12-02-2003, 08:50 PM
another relaxed

Teufelhund
12-02-2003, 08:53 PM
FAT?!? Thats fat?!?

****. I'm in trouble.

You look great, Herc! Sorry to hear about the shoulder...

Herc
12-02-2003, 08:55 PM
It is actually feeling better tonight. Of course I'm jacked up on advil and reak of menthol.

We'll see if I can keep any of the mass I've gained through my Jan cut...

pruneman
12-02-2003, 09:05 PM
hey, lookin real strong herc

WillKuenzel
12-02-2003, 09:05 PM
No wonder you got problems with your shoulder. Its pumped full of synthol! :p Those shoulders are massive. Still looking pretty damn lean to be finished a bulk. IMO that's the best way to go. Looks like things have been going good for you.

rookiebldr
12-02-2003, 09:15 PM
Nice and solid looking. Lots of abs showing too. Ace bulking Herc.

BennettBoy
12-03-2003, 05:42 AM
Nice job Herc. And you ARE NOT fat. In fact, I can still see abs LOL.

Exnor
12-03-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by HomeYield

It kind of happened in phases. I graduated high school at about 140lbs. Inched my way up to 155lbs over the next 2 years. I was running track in college so that doesn't really lend to well to bulking.

Got up to about 165lbs. after about 6 months of not running track. From there I don't remember because so much stuff was happening but by the time I graduated college I was ~185. So about 20lbs. in 1.5 years.

Then after graduatation I moved up to 207lbs about April this year (11 months after graduation)., which was the most I've ever weighed. The gain from 165lbs. to 185lbs. was the best lean gain. Almost no bf% rise.

I've never done a cut until now. Metabolism is too high. So roughly about 60lbs over 4 years. Kind of slow so, I guess I've never really seen the gains myself. Even looking back at photos where I'm wearing shirts that I still have, they were loose then and really tight now but it won't sink in that I've gotten bigger. I guess because when I'm walking down the street or out in public I still feel small. Its just one of those things. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Thats actually a medical condition, I forget the name, but I think a lot of BB's (including me) have the same thing. It kinda sucks, theres always that feeling that your going to be happy with new your size when you reach it and you just want to work your ass off until then... Thats me anyway, but then again im still a scrawny nerd. :)

Herc
12-03-2003, 09:45 AM
pruneman - thanks!
HY- nope no synthol - just menthol right now. I smell like a nursing home!
rookiebldr - I wouldn't call it LOTS of abs, but I'll take any complements I can get!
BennettBoy - It is all about back fat - I feel like a pig ready to give up some bacon - good 'ole fatback to all the country folk out there:)

New stats.

Here are my new stats after the bulk and PH stack / cycle

Weight: 206.8
BF%: 15.2% (I think this is low, but it is what the scale said last night figure 16.5% realistically)

Neck: 16.25
Shoulders 54.5
L Bi: 16.75
R Bi: 16.5
L fore: 13
R fore: 13
Stomach: 35.75
Waist: 34.5
Hips: 39
L thigh: 24.75
R Thigh: 24.75
L calf: 16.25
R calf: 16.5

Here is my last weigh in for comparison

Weight: 193
BF%: 15%
Neck: 16
Shoulders: 52.5 up 2 ス
Chest: 43 up 2
L Bicep: 16 1/8 up a ス
R Bicep: 16 1/8 up a ス
L forearm: 12.75
R Forearm: 12.75
Stomach: 35
Waist: 33.25
Hips: 38.25
L Thigh: 23.75
R Thigh: 23.75
L Calf: 16
R Calf: 16

Using 16.5% BF it works out to a 8.5 lb LBM gain!

Teufelhund
12-03-2003, 09:56 AM
8.5 lbs is great! You were only bulking for about 3-4 weeks, right?

Herc
12-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Actually more like 5 weeks - but still not a bad gain for me as gaining weight has always been near impossible for me.

pruneman
12-03-2003, 12:13 PM
8.5lb in 5 weeks is pretty impressive, someday i'll just say goodbye to my abs and step up to the dinner table so i can actually put on some mass

cphafner
12-03-2003, 01:45 PM
back looks amazing, as does the most muscular. What was your ph stack? I'm sure I could look back a few pages and find it, but I'm lazy:)

Herc
12-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Ok, here was the hastily put together original plan.

October 24 Nov 6: 200 mg of T-bomb (no results from this wouldn稚 use again)
Nov 6 Nov 25: 600 mg of 1-TU
Nov 6 Dec 6: 600 mg of ergopharm 1-AD
Nov 6 Dec 6: 600 mg of 4-AD
Dec 5- Dec 14: 600 mg of 6-oxo

Here痴 what I actually did.

October 24 Nov 6: 200 mg of T-bomb (no results from this wouldn稚 use again)
Nov 6 Nov 25: 600 mg of 1-TU
Nov25 Nov 30: 600 mg of 4-AD
Nov 6 Nov 30: 600 mg of 1-AD
Dec 1 Dec 3: 400 mg of 1-AD
Dec 1- Dec 10: 600 mg of 6-oxo

If I do another one Here痴 what I would do

Week 1: 600mg 1-ad, 600mg 1-tu
Week 2-3: 900mg 1-ad, 900mg 1-tu
Week 4: 600mg 1-ad, 600mg 1-tu
Week 4-5: 600mg 6-oxo (I might overlap the 6-oxo at the end of week 4)

I wouldn稚 suggest this as a first stack; however since I had basically no sides and what I consider to be good gains on my first cycle, I will probably give this a shot early next year.

fuzz
12-03-2003, 09:59 PM
I'm not sure why you would stack 1TU and 1AD - usually you would want to stack some 4AD with a 1test product. If you want to do 1test, pick one of the products (1AD or 1TU), and just go with it. Also, there isn't really a reason to ramp up the dose in the middle of a cycle - ramping up can be a good idea, though, to gauge sides as you go.

I would recommend you look into transdermals for your next cycle, or perhaps try a 1AD/4AD cycle if you want to stick to orals, something like 1ad 900 mg/4AD 1200 mg for 4 weeks would be good.

Nice job on your cycle! You've made some great lean gains.

Herc
12-04-2003, 08:14 AM
The 1-AD 1-TU stack came from an article I read on another site, with the reasoning that you get a more even dosage since the 1-TU acts like a fast release while the 1-AD is slow due to the conversions necessary.

For the short time (about a week) that I was stacking the 1-ad and 4-ad without the 1-tu I could definately tell that the 1-tu was missing in both the gym and in the hardness of my muscles. For example with the 1-tu 1-ad stack I would get a serious bicep pump (like I had done direct work on them )on chest and tri's day and I would be barely able to move my tri's because they would get so hard. I'd never had a chest pump at all before this. Not to mention my muscles would stay "fuller" throughout the day. Without the 1-tu my strength wasn't as good, and pumps were pretty normal.

Ramping is definately for sides maintenance. I'll have to see if i keep it in when I actually get to that point.

cphafner
12-04-2003, 08:23 AM
herc did you see any side effects during your ph cycle?

fuzz
12-04-2003, 08:53 AM
I bet you felt additional hardness with 1TU/1AD simply because you were getting about twice the amoutn of 1Test...which you could do with more of either product.

Have you looked into transdermals?

Herc
12-04-2003, 09:23 AM
That could definately be true.

Havn't looked into transdermals - do you have any reccomendations on products or brands to use. Also if you've used them are they still as messy as they used to be (basically a blob of jelly under a band-aid)

Herc
12-04-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by cphafner
herc did you see any side effects during your ph cycle?

no, not really, the main thing was night sweats, but after a night or two of waking up in a puddle of sweat you learn to go to sleep with just a sheet and a light blanket, instead of a comforter (sp?)

Relentless
12-04-2003, 11:24 AM
nice work, Hercsicle!

nice stern squint in the 2nd relaxed pic

shoulders are obviously impressive

pecs look thicker than I recall as well; you should cobble together some side-by-each comparison pix.

Herc
12-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Thanks Callahan,

Yea I think I added some size to the pecs and shoulders are definately most improved. I'll see what I can piece together for comparisons.

Herc
12-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Back comparison

Herc
12-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Tri Comp

Herc
12-08-2003, 08:58 AM
My shoulder has pretty much recovered. I did some pushups last night and while my shoulder was still a little wambly there was no pain. Tonight I have dinner and a show with my parents, but Tuesday I plan on getting back in the gym.

I thinking of changing up my split here are my two thoughts, both of which are push/pull based.

Chest/Biceps
Legs / Abs
OFF
Back / Shoulders
Triceps / Forearms / Abs
*the thought here is that I feel my Triceps are lagging and I want to give them a day to themselves especially since my right tri lags my left.

OR

Chest/shoulders
Legs
OFF
Back /forearms
Arms / abs

*here I知 thinking of giving everything a dedicated day and not worrying about shoulders as much as they seem to be doing ok.

Anyway I figure I do one as maintenance and one during my 都oft cut in Jan.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

WillKuenzel
12-08-2003, 06:25 PM
I like the idea of the 2nd one more. Especially for the time being to help you get your shoulder back up to par. Because you'll indirectly hit the shoulders with chest, you might over do it a bit if you started with that first routine. Also, your triceps would be taking one helluva beating (3 times a week).

On the 2nd routine you could hit tri's with a few sets on chest/shoulder day and then hit them hard again on arm day and possibly see some very good results from that. Maybe even alternate weeks of doing forearms or biceps with back and making arm day a very tricep based workout.

I think starting with the 2nd one and then moving towards the first one later would be my opinion.

fuzz
12-08-2003, 09:56 PM
That could definately be true.

Havn't looked into transdermals - do you have any reccomendations on products or brands to use. Also if you've used them are they still as messy as they used to be (basically a blob of jelly under a band-aid)

Yep, check out Dermabolics brand from 1fast400.com. Not very messy - squirt into your hand, rub on, wait 5-10 minutes, and get dressed.

Herc
12-09-2003, 09:22 AM
I like the idea of the 2nd one more. Especially for the time being to help you get your shoulder back up to par. Because you'll indirectly hit the shoulders with chest, you might over do it a bit if you started with that first routine. Also, your triceps would be taking one helluva beating (3 times a week).

On the 2nd routine you could hit tri's with a few sets on chest/shoulder day and then hit them hard again on arm day and possibly see some very good results from that. Maybe even alternate weeks of doing forearms or biceps with back and making arm day a very tricep based workout.

I think starting with the 2nd one and then moving towards the first one later would be my opinion.

Thanks for the input! I'll be giving the 2 one a try then this week.

Rock
12-09-2003, 02:42 PM
very good, good thickness, good overall, ace upperback and shoulders!

Herc
12-10-2003, 12:39 PM
Got back into the gym last night and did a chest / shoulders workout. Chest went fairly well with only a small amount of strength loss due to the shoulder. Dumbbell work for the shoulders was fine, but there was some twidging in my rotator cuff while doing presses, so I kept the weight fairly low.

Anyway here is the workout

90/15
140/12
180/8
200/2

90/12
110/10
140/8
160/6

140/15
180/12
200/10
230/8

Dumbbell Lateral Raise
25/12
25/12
30/8
30/8

70/12
90/10
90/10
90/10

Dumbbell Front Raise
25/10
25/10
30/8
30/8 *shoulders were pumped as hell at this point

25/8
25/8
25/8
25/8

WillKuenzel
12-10-2003, 06:17 PM
Are you doing any type of rotator cuff work? That might be something to consider for rehab on the shoulder.

I might also toss those shoulder presses up a bit in the routine. Maybe after the inclines. Not that your shoulders really need any more help. They look pretty damn hyuge.

Herc
12-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Yup! do rotator cuff work in the mornings on Off days.
Normally shoulder presses are up further in the workout (first shoulder exercise) but The machine already had 2 people working on it so I jumped to Lateral raises.

OK, so apparently I've got pretty good size on my shoulders, then how come they disappear when you look at me from the front? How do you make the middle head "round out"?

Herc
12-15-2003, 08:01 AM
On the knife痴 edge of catching a cold today

Anyway here are Thursday痴 and Friday痴 workouts

Thursday: Back

Hammer Strength Low rows
160/15
180/12
230/10
250/6
Lat Pulldown
120/15
135/12
150/10
Cable Row
120/15
135/10
150/10
180/12
230/10
250/8
Shrugs
180/15
180/15
180/15
180/15
Lots of forearm work
Friday: Arms
Dips
Pulley Pushdowns
40/12
50/12
50/10
40/10
Skullcrushers / Closegrip Bench
65/10
65/10
65/10
Barbell Curl
60/12
70/10
80/6
1-arm Tri Cable Pull downs
25/12
30/12
35/10
Dumbbell Curls
25/12
30/10
35/7
Preacher Curls
35/12
45/10
55/8
* Exercises are in a screwy order due to crowding at the Gym

WillKuenzel
12-15-2003, 09:34 PM
I like upright rows and lateral raises (maybe even press behind the neck) for those side delts. I know you've had some shoulder problems so those might not be the best exercises for them. Cable laterals might be something good to try.

It sounds like your gym is a bit too crowded or busy or both.

Herc
12-18-2003, 08:02 AM
Thanks! I'll give 'em a try.

Are lateral raises the same as dumbbell laterals?

Teufelhund
01-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Herc? I know you're not squandering away all your new mass by not going to the gym, right?

Disney got you working double-time for the holidays?

Herc
01-05-2004, 07:46 AM
You know it!

But I was back all last week, and will strat journaling again this week! :thumbup:

Cutting up a little bit, but weight is holding at 200 ish

Herc
01-06-2004, 07:59 AM
Well, the holidays are over and I did manage to not loose too much mass and not add too much fat. I worked out last week, but didn稚 log anything as I forgot to print out my workout sheets before I left for vacation. Well the new Gym is finally open and we have moved out of the basement sized preview center into the main gym. It is very cool. Tons of new machines and free weights. Even with yesterday痴 迭esolution Rush there was no real crowding and very little waiting on equipment. I致e decided 2004 is going to be a great year for some serious gains. So here is the first in what is going to be a crazy intense year for Herc!

Flat Bench Press *doing real benching again
135/12
155/10
185/8
205/6

90/15
140/10
160/6
160/5

140/15
160/12
180/10
190/10 *should致e gone heavier but was working in with people

50/15
90/12
140/4 shoulder strength still coming back but no pain on this!
140/4

Dumbbell Lateral Raise
25/10
25/10
30/10
30/8

Dumbbell Front Raise
25/10
25/10
30/10
30/8

25/10
25/10
25/10
25/10
Upright Rows 釦aking HY痴 advice here
90/10
90/8
90/7

Today : LEGS! :thumbup:

JuniorMint6669
01-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Nice workout! Good to see ya posting again :D

Herc
01-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Thanks JM

Did Legs on Tuesday. The gym has all sorts of new machines so all the weights are different.

180/15
270/12
360/10
450/8

Sliding Seat Leg Press *LifeFitness machine
110/15
130/12
150/10
170/8

Leg Extension
115/10
120/10
125/12
130/8

Leg Curl
110/12
120/10
125/10
130/7

Hammer Strength Calf Machine
230/25
270/25
320/20
370/20

Seated Calf Raise
200/10
200/10
200/8

Roman Chair Twisting Knee ups *did these while waiting for leg press

PhysioBall Sit-ups

Tonight: BACK

Wikked1
01-08-2004, 07:49 AM
Hey dude nice looking leg day ,also spotted a pic of your back double bi pose in the pics section....looking good man! Nice work.

Herc
01-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Wikked: thanks, yea most of my improvement has been in my back lately, speaking of which...

Thursday: Back workout. Had to reverse the order on this.

180/15
230/12
250/9
Cable Row
120/12
135/10
150/10
Lat Pulldown
120/12
135/8
150/6
Hammer Strength Low rows *man these are hard when you put them last!
160/10
180/10
230/6
Shrugs
180/20
270/12
270/10
270/10
Ab Work.

Herc
01-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Ok, Ok, I'm not dead.

I have been working out, just havn't been logging lately. Did legs & abs last night, don't have my log with me though, so here's the breakdown without weights

Hacks
Leg Press
Extensions
Curls
Leg lifts
double crunches

I forgot to do calfs because I was rushing to get home to meet up with some friends to do a nighttime bike ride last night. Killer after doing legs but great cardio.

later

Herc
02-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Back in the saddle again!

Well, it has been a while since I have logged anything, but the good news is that I have been working out. I知 in a slow cut right now to get ready for beach weather which is only a month or so away for us here in Florida. I致e been supplementing my lifting with evening bike rides around my neighborhood after I return from the gym.

Question: right now I take my creatine between my lifting and me bike ride, is this a good idea or bad idea?

Here are Mon & Tues workouts

Monday: Chest/Shoulders

Flat Bench
135/15
185/8
205/6
225/3 *whoo hoo! It has been almost a year since I致e done 225!

Incline Machine Press
90/12
140/10
160/7
180/5

140/15
180/12
230/6
230/5

90/12
140/6
140/5
140/5

Dumbbell Lateral Raise
25/12
25/12
30/8
30/8

Dumbbell Front Raise
25/10
25/10
30/10
30/8

Reverse Fly
100/12
105/10
110/8
115/7

Herc
02-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Tuesday: Legs/Abs

Hammer Strength Hack Squats
180/15
270/12
360/10
410/8

Incline Leg Press *new machine where the seat slides up inclined rails
190/12
210/10
230/8
250/8

Leg Extension
105/10
110/8
115/8
120/8

Seated leg Curl
125/10
130/10
135/8
140/8
Hammer Strength Calf Press
180/30
270/20
360/15
410/8

Seated Calf Raise
90/10
140/8
140/8

Decline Reverse Crunch (leg lift)

Roman Chair Oblique leg lifts

JustinF
02-05-2004, 03:15 AM
Sessions are looking good bro. Do you take your creatine as part of a PW shake? I see no problem with taking it before your bike ride.

Herc
02-05-2004, 08:34 AM
JF - thanks! I actually use Mega Creatine from GNC. It has some carbs and other stuff in it but no protien or anything.

ok - PW shake? (post workout?)

YoBrickWall
02-05-2004, 09:56 AM
yo herc- dam,nice job on the hack.

question on the leg ext and seated leg curl. how are the leg ext. done lying down? if so that is the leg curl and the seated are leg ext.... if im wrong let me know.

YBW