PDA

View Full Version : questions about eating whole flax seeds

chops
06-09-2003, 12:15 PM
a couple days ago, i started eating a TB of whole flax seeds daily for 'digestive' issues. BTW, this natural remedy kicks butt, in case anyone else is having a problem. i just eat the whole spoonful in the morning. the problem is these taste awful and i hate how they get stuck in my teeth. i want to throw up while i'm chewing them.

-do i need to chew them, or can i down them with a drink?

-does anyone have any recipes that will cover up the taste?

-will they be more effective if i have them ground up? if yes, are these available pre-ground (i didn't see any at my Whole Foods market), or what would i use to mash them myself?

-does it matter what time of day i take the seed. also should i distribute the servings, i.e 1/2 a TB now, 1/2 a few hours later?

thanks

Tryska
06-09-2003, 12:22 PM
you could prolly use a coffee or spice grinder on them.

drew
06-09-2003, 12:52 PM
Any reason you don't just buy some flaxseed oil caps?

Tryska
06-09-2003, 12:54 PM
he wouldn't ge tthe fiber that would make him all regular, silly.

drew
06-09-2003, 12:56 PM
oh yeah. duh. :rolleyes:

chops
06-09-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by drew
Any reason you don't just buy some flaxseed oil caps?

i tried taking flaxseed oil - i gulped down a whole TB for several days and didn't see any results. because of this, i was skeptical about the seeds, but they kicked in on day 2.

bradley
06-09-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by chops
-do i need to chew them, or can i down them with a drink?

Whole flax seeds are not digestable due to the tough outer coating of the seed.

-does anyone have any recipes that will cover up the taste?

Just make sure not to heat the flax seeds as the oil is very sensitive to heat and light. You might try adding them to a salad.

-will they be more effective if i have them ground up? if yes, are these available pre-ground (i didn't see any at my Whole Foods market), or what would i use to mash them myself?

Yes, in order for them to be effective they need to be ground up. You could use a coffee grinder or spice grinder as T suggested or you can purchase ground flax seeds at most health food strores. Make sure to keep the ground flax seeds in the fridge, but the whole seeds would be fine in the pantry.

-does it matter what time of day i take the seed. also should i distribute the servings, i.e 1/2 a TB now, 1/2 a few hours later?

No not really, but I would not want to take in the much fiber at once. Splitting up the amount would probably be the best way to go about it, but not necessary.