PDA

View Full Version : bread crust - keep or ditch?

rich
06-09-2003, 06:19 PM
Do bread crusts contain any calories?

I'm currently bulking and trying to figure out whether I should be cutting them off and saving the space for something better.

heathj
06-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Uhhh...its part of the bread isn't it? Of course it does.

drew
06-09-2003, 06:32 PM
They have the same amount of calories as the rest of the bread. :scratch:

rich
06-09-2003, 06:36 PM
ok.. just wasn't sure. thanks.

GhettoSmurf
06-09-2003, 07:41 PM
lol, interesting question.

ive also heard that the crust contains more nutrients. but its what ive HEARD, i dont have any proof, or reference's. for all i know it could be an old wives' tale to get their kids to eat their crust.

Saint Patrick
06-10-2003, 02:08 AM
My mom used to tell me when I was growing up that eating the bread crust would put hair on your chest.

Little did I know that years later, I'd be shaving and waxing it off.

bradley
06-10-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
ive also heard that the crust contains more nutrients. but its what ive HEARD, i dont have any proof, or reference's. for all i know it could be an old wives' tale to get their kids to eat their crust.

I would not think so because the crust forms because that is the part of the bread that is exposed to the heat when baking. It is still bread just a little more "done."

06-10-2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by bradley

I would not think so because the crust forms because that is the part of the bread that is exposed to the heat when baking. It is still bread just a little more "done." :withstupi

devo
06-10-2003, 07:03 AM
This might interest some of you.

I copied it from http://www.foodlineweb.co.uk/FoodWeb/newsletter/dec02/news.asp

Whilst the idea that bread crusts make your hair turn curly has yet to be proved, new research claims that they may, in fact be the healthiest part of the loaf.

The research team, from the University of Munster, discovered that the antioxidant compound pronyl-lysine actually accumulates in the bread crusts during baking as a result of the Maillard reaction between L-lysine, starch and reducing sugars.

Pronyl-lysine has been shown to increase levels of phase II enzymes in human trials, which are thought to help protect against cancer.

Further research is being carried out to determine whether pronyl-lysine in bread crusts may increase levels of plasma antioxidants. The research was reported in the Journal of Food Agriculture and Chemistry, and in FoodlineWeb new item ‘Bread crusts are good for you’.

bradley
06-10-2003, 08:11 AM
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2002-11/acs-bca110402.php

The above is the complete article from which the above was referring to. Interesting by the way:)

This was taken from the article, and it also mentioned that overbrowning would harm the beneficial compound. Does that mean that toasting your bread would eliminate this beneficial compound, and what is the correct level of "browness?":scratch:

The researchers are currently conducting animal tests to determine whether bread crust and pure pronyl-lysine actually boost antioxidant levels in plasma, but results have not yet been published.

Tryska
06-10-2003, 08:38 AM
what is the deal with people and breadcrusts anyway?