PDA

View Full Version : Cutting the 2nd time (advice)

Monster Muscle
06-10-2003, 12:47 PM
okay.. the 1st time i cut i had horrible results...I ended up losing most of my muscle and ended up looking the same w/ my bf% just lowered a bit. I was really disapointed and depressed because i lost everything i worked for.

Now..where i screwed up is I reduced my calories significantly. I was dropping weight way to fast. like...5ibs a week.

So when cutting I should lose approx. 1 pound a week, that is what gathered from this site?

lower my calories very slowy over time?

do a fair amount of cardio? 4-5 days a week, walking on a incline on tred for aprox. 40 mins.

...stats are 6' 1", was 230, now 223ibs

Monster Muscle
06-10-2003, 01:14 PM
waiting for a good response...that bradly fella has some good info

Ferry Costen
06-10-2003, 01:41 PM
i feel your pain bro. I'm 6'2 and was 212lbs. Good muscle mass but started gaining chubbiness in my neck and mid section. Went on a cut. I'm 192lbs and I've lost most of my muscle. Strength is about the same, and my fat hasnt really gone anywhere. Very depressing. I think I tried too much at once. I introduced cardio and calorie deficit at the same time.
good luck

Silverback
06-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Cutting without the use of AS has to be based around perfection!

The only way that precious mass that you have gained is going to stay is through careful planning, remeber 'poor planning presents piss poor performance' ;)

Carefully alter you intake and montitor not only everything you eat, but also body changes both in the mirror and on the scales.

The biggest mistake is cutting cals too drastically looking for a quick fix, this game is not about quick fix's and its all or nothing thruogh and through, from bulking slowly lower your calories and carbs/fat keeping protein high until you are seeing 1-1.5lb drops per week, stick with this and depending on what happens alter accordingly.

The second biggest mistake is imo change the attitude in the weight room, i see to many people say ' im cutting time for light weight and high reps' thats ballony keep it hard and heavy and if anything lower the volume of work, but strive for more weight and strong contractions.

Its only my opinion, but you only get one go at life and while making mistakes builds character, if you know how to do something right you might as well pursue it.

good luck

B-R

GhettoSmurf
06-10-2003, 07:59 PM
try to lose ~.5 - 1 pound a week. IMO only lower your calories once you stop losing weight.

no need to do all that cardio, maybe you could just throw in 2 or 3 sessions on HIIT.

Fenbay
06-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Might want to post your diet as well for the esteemed Professor Bradley will most assuredly ask for this before he bequeaths his wisdom upon you.

P.S. No, I'm not going for a 2nd line in Bradley's signature, but it did sound good. ;)

bradley
06-11-2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Monster Muscle
So when cutting I should lose approx. 1 pound a week, that is what gathered from this site?

That is usually a good starting point although if you are at a higher bf% then you can probably get away with losing a little more each week.

lower my calories very slowy over time?

Yes, just drop the cals in small increments each week until you are losing the desired amount of weight. For example if you are currently eating 3000cals per day then just drop cals by about 200-300 each week until you are losing the desired amount of weight each week. Dropping cals too quickly while adding in large amounts of cardio would be a recipe for muscle catabolism IMO.

do a fair amount of cardio? 4-5 days a week, walking on a incline on tred for aprox. 40 mins.

I would start out performing that much cardio. You really do not have to perform cardio, and you could just wait till your weight loss plateaus before adding in the cardio. Basically you don't want to cut calories and add in large amounts of cardio at the same time. Think of the two as variables. You only want to change one variable at a time to see how well that adjustment worked.

Don't get me wrong. I think cardio is a good tool to help in reducing bf, but just don't go overboard. Start out slow and work your way up. Also might want to read the HIIT sticky in the training forum.

You can post your diet as well if you would like to get some input on it.

Monster Muscle
06-11-2003, 02:47 PM
at the moment i am not counting calories, just going by when i get hungry

8 30 am
Kashi cereal ( 1 Bowl)
FF milk
1 whole egg
6 egg whites
apple or orange

10 30 am
2 egg whites
sometimes raisen bran
couple spoons of pb
12 oz FF milk

Snack
orange & apple

1 pm
ww bread
tuna w/ lil mayo, sammy
FF milk 12 oz
green spinach leafs, kidney & garbon. beans, lots of olive oil + vin

3 30pm
pb on ww bread b4 gym

workout
Weights
then cardio

6 30
whey shake (EAS simply gain) EAS glutamine
FF milk
1 banana
couple tsp of olive oil in whey shake

9 00
usually some beef or chicken
maybe some greens
cottage cheese

Monster Muscle
06-11-2003, 02:54 PM
bradly,

right now i have currently not reduced my cals due to the fact of doing so much cardio. I have simply just changed my foods alittle bit. no more trans fatty acids or high fructose things.

So as you said once i cannot lose anymore weight w\ just cardio and changing my diet. i will lower cals, correct?

thanks

GhettoSmurf
06-11-2003, 07:32 PM
bradly,

right now i have currently not reduced my cals due to the fact of doing so much cardio. I have simply just changed my foods alittle bit. no more trans fatty acids or high fructose things.

So as you said once i cannot lose anymore weight w\ just cardio and changing my diet. i will lower cals, correct?

thanks

yes, that's correct (even though im not bradley) :rolleyes:

Monster Muscle
06-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

yes, that's correct (even though im not bradley) :rolleyes:

ja ja ja ja Jealousy ;)

AJ_11
06-11-2003, 08:47 PM
Here is a suggestion just based on your diet, Take out the FF milk and replace with skim to start.

Monster Muscle
06-12-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by AJ_11
Here is a suggestion just based on your diet, Take out the FF milk and replace with skim to start.

take out fat free milk and replace it with skim? :rolleyes:

bradley
06-12-2003, 02:18 AM

take out fat free milk and replace it with skim? :rolleyes:

I am sure he though the FF was for full fat;)

You might want to throw in some omega 3s in your diet. Maybe add in some fish oil caps or substitute salmon somwhere in your diet. The food choices look good, although when you do start cutting cals I would drop some of the milk first which would be an easy way to cut cals IMO.

Monster Muscle
06-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by bradley

I am sure he though the FF was for full fat;)

You might want to throw in some omega 3s in your diet. Maybe add in some fish oil caps or substitute salmon somwhere in your diet. The food choices look good, although when you do start cutting cals I would drop some of the milk first which would be an easy way to cut cals IMO.

the olive oil is not enough?

bradley
06-12-2003, 10:45 AM

the olive oil is not enough?

Olive oil is a good source of monounsaturated fat but it does not contain much in the way of EFAs.

Saint Patrick
06-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Olive oil is a good source of monounsaturated fat but it does not contain much in the way of EFAs.

Ditto.