PDA

View Full Version : I keep Reading how Protein can be turned into Glucose...

Mic Soloist
06-10-2003, 02:37 PM
So if I drink one of my MetRx Protein Plus drinks during the day as a meal or just for some extra protein it won't turn into Glucose will it??

I am drinking one now before working out cuz I don't want anythink heavy on my stomach. Is that ok??

-peace-

bradley
06-10-2003, 04:17 PM
This is less of an issue with protein blends because they are a slower digesting protein compared to 100% whey. The protein blend would be fine for preworkout, but I would recommend a small amount of carbs and protein for a preworkout shake instead of just protein alone.

Whey digests so rapidly that some of the protein could be converted to glucose by the liver via gluconeogenesis.

Mic Soloist
06-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Well today I had the Protein blend about 20 minutes before going to the gym.

Then I had the 100% Whey and a slice a white bread about 15 minutes after working out(I drove home)

Is that ok???

-peace-

bradley
06-11-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist
Well today I had the Protein blend about 20 minutes before going to the gym.

Then I had the 100% Whey and a slice a white bread about 15 minutes after working out(I drove home)

Is that ok???

-peace-

I would recommend taking in about ~25g of carbs along with 10-15g of protein about 30 minutes before working out in a small amount of water. Then postworkout take in ~50g of carbs and ~20g of protein. A 100% whey product would be ideal for pre/postworkout nutrition but the protein blend will work.

What you listed above is fine but I think what I mentioned above would be better:)

GhettoSmurf
06-11-2003, 04:27 AM
instead of using white bread, you could also try getting some dextrose or maltodextrine. or go the the super market and lok for some gatorade POWDER or powerade POWDER. or even some smarties would work.

Ace
06-11-2003, 07:59 AM
As far as I know, the liver only uses amino acids (the breakdown of protein) for energy ie. glucose whenever the glycogen is gone.

bradley
06-11-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Ace
As far as I know, the liver only uses amino acids (the breakdown of protein) for energy ie. glucose whenever the glycogen is gone.

Also during periods of high protein intake. If you are taking in more protein than you need at once then the liver will convert some of it to glucose.